Competing after 12yrs but unsure how to manage my pump

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I am doing a Competitive deadlift competition after 12yrs away!!! nervous isn't in it, but this time I'm on a pump (all my previous comps I was on Injections) so I am unsure as to how to manage my pump on comp day, as my weightlifting belt interferes with my cannula ( I normally wear it on my thigh or my belly) but for the short duration of the competition I was wondering if I should just inject and then when it is over put my cannula back in and restart my pump? god I feel like a newbie all over again and unsure of what's for the best. All things considered I'm actually quite proud of myself for getting back on the platform again.
sorry for the wandering nature of the post

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry, I don't have any advice for you but I just wanted to say well done on getting back in the saddle. Good luck and we will all be rooting for you.

Reactions: Snapsy

MangosteenElbow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great news.
Be proud of yourself.
As a competitor, keep records of what you trial and the effects or your perceptions. Expect variations, unexpected oytcomes and the occasional misjudgements.

Good athletes: measure, record, self-review, plan adjustments, repeat.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am doing a Competitive deadlift competition after 12yrs away!!! nervous isn't in it, but this time I'm on a pump (all my previous comps I was on Injections) so I am unsure as to how to manage my pump on comp day, as my weightlifting belt interferes with my cannula ( I normally wear it on my thigh or my belly) but for the short duration of the competition I was wondering if I should just inject and then when it is over put my cannula back in and restart my pump? god I feel like a newbie all over again and unsure of what's for the best. All things considered I'm actually quite proud of myself for getting back on the platform again.
sorry for the wandering nature of the post
Well done be really proud of yourself! !! I can't be much help apart from saying it probably comes down to weighing up the pros and cons. If you have trained for a while with the pump it may be offering you more flexibility for bg management on the day and for me nerves push my bg up - but I can't correct for this too much with injections as adrenaline will run out as I settle down. However if the belt interferes with the pump then this is also a source of stress and anxiety - has it been an issue in training? I was always told don't change your training plans last minute for the day stick with the plan but diabetes isn't quite as compliant as just deciding what sports gel flavour suits you . I haven't used a pump can you alter the site or protect it from the belt. Sorry not to be more help! Best of luck to you!!

Reactions: Snapsy

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a Facebook group: type 1 diabetic athletes, that might be worth joining and asking your question there @johnpol , I'm sure there are members of that group who are competitive weight lifters who pump.

Reactions: johnpol
D

Deleted Account

I understand your frustration with the cannula sites - I experience issues just with jeans rubbing my sites.
I have tread about some people putting their cannula in their upper arm or backside. Have you tried this?
My recommendation would be to try this before the competition as the new locations could affect your BG control.
Likewise, if you decide to revery to injections, try this out before the competition as your BG control will be different.

Good luck.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks for the input everyone, when I was placed on the pump I was told to avoid my arms and backside, so my plan at the minute is to see if I can leave the cannula in and see if I can cope with it on the day, as its only three lifts (hopefully) I think that I can monitor what my bloods are doing. But the nerves are another factor I have forgotten about, they used to be my biggest enemy in my past comps ( used to cause massive fluctuations ) definitely looking forward to the comp and seeing if I still have it in me (If I ever had it !!!!!!)

Reactions: Snapsy and Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for the input everyone, when I was placed on the pump I was told to avoid my arms and backside, so my plan at the minute is to see if I can leave the cannula in and see if I can cope with it on the day, as its only three lifts (hopefully) I think that I can monitor what my bloods are doing. But the nerves are another factor I have forgotten about, they used to be my biggest enemy in my past comps ( used to cause massive fluctuations ) definitely looking forward to the comp and seeing if I still have it in me (If I ever had it !!!!!!)
Good luck

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for the extremely late reply and thank you @Snapsy for thinking of me. But alas i don't use a pump and can't give any pointers on that mater.

I don't deadlift anymore neither (hernia's) so can't even give any advice on that one and my competition days are over. However i can say that when i'm in doubt i try to figure what would give me the worst lifts for the day. In your case that'll be between irregular BS or not wearing a belt. I squatted triple my bodyweight without a belt (old man's voice: "back in my days" :D) so it's possible to lift big without one. Did train my core a lot to be able to do this, belts made me nauseous during summer time so dropped them a lot. But the extra stability and having something to push against is nice especially on a deadlift.

Don't know how many people will be competing but i know the time between lifts can be long and if you're going for 3 attempts (i wish you a fourth if that one is still in the rules ;) ) you can go a decent time without a pump which in case of the pump doesn't seem like a great idea especially since your last lift will be the heaviest. On the other hand competition days were always off BS wise, the adrenaline, exercise, ... it can mess you up a bit.

You might want to consider a dry run in the sense that you mimic a competition day and just do 3 lifts in a 30 minute period without your pump and see how it effects you. Or try if you can comfortably reach your desired deadlift weight without a belt (or maybe the first 2 attempts without one).

Above all have fun man, it's good to know there are diabetic competitive powerlifters out there. Wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: johnpol and Snapsy

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reply @qe5rt the competition is only four weeks away now, have done no dry runs ie, no pump, still lifting beltless but I have a new one on order as I seem to have outgrown my old belt!!!(don't know how that happened) my opening lift looks like being 240kg then 260/270 finishing with 280/300kg, all dependent on how I'm feeling and how my sugars are on the day. the nerves are going to be a huge factor on the day there are 100 lifters in three flights on the day, so I know theres going to be a lot of sitting about, so am not going to go with no pump, can't risk being unwell on the day.
Can't wait for it!! back on the platform after everything I've been through these last few years, even with all the complications of my **** pump!!. If anyone is interested I will let you know how I do.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well Every body I did my competition on Saturday, it went reasonably well. The A1 was shut so what should have been a two hour drive to the venue turned into a three hour drive!! The stress of the weigh in and warm up had my BS's around 10mmol up to when I had to remove my pump prior to warming up, BS's raised up to 13mmol leading up to the actual comp. My lifts didn't go to plan I opened with 210kg which flew up so I upped my second lift to 230kg, again this went up relatively easily. So I decided to go for 240kg which I failed, I think that I should have done a 225kg second lift as I wouldn't have tired my back for my third lift. I am a bit disappointed with it to be honest, but as a Masters2 (45-49) class lifter it is looking rosy for the future!!!! it has lit the fire in me again, so more competition's for me now with one scheduled a Push/Pull event in December. Pump was put back on with my BS at 13.2mmol, it stabled out again within an hour with a bolus and came back down to 9.2mmol and then kept checking it every hour to make sure there was no adverse effects after, all was fine.
All in all a very enjoyable day and definitely doing it again

Reactions: MangosteenElbow

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@johnpol wow it sounds like a fabulous day! Brilliant stuff! Sad to hear you're a bit disappointed, as it all sounds absolutely amazeballs - I'm so glad that you've 'relit the fire' and have already got another competition in the pipeline! Onwards and jolly well upwards!

It sounds like that was a great first experience competing with/without your pump - please accept this huge pat on the back!

:)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@johnpol wow it sounds like a fabulous day! Brilliant stuff! Sad to hear you're a bit disappointed, as it all sounds absolutely amazeballs - I'm so glad that you've 'relit the fire' and have already got another competition in the pipeline! Onwards and jolly well upwards!

It sounds like that was a great first experience competing with/without your pump - please accept this huge pat on the back!

:)
Thank you I will accept it!! Don't normally as I am my own worst enemy for compliments. was a really god day saw some amazing lifters (mostly the women they were absolutely awe-inspiring!!) really looking forward to the next one!!!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well Every body I did my competition on Saturday, it went reasonably well. The A1 was shut so what should have been a two hour drive to the venue turned into a three hour drive!! The stress of the weigh in and warm up had my BS's around 10mmol up to when I had to remove my pump prior to warming up, BS's raised up to 13mmol leading up to the actual comp. My lifts didn't go to plan I opened with 210kg which flew up so I upped my second lift to 230kg, again this went up relatively easily. So I decided to go for 240kg which I failed, I think that I should have done a 225kg second lift as I wouldn't have tired my back for my third lift. I am a bit disappointed with it to be honest, but as a Masters2 (45-49) class lifter it is looking rosy for the future!!!! it has lit the fire in me again, so more competition's for me now with one scheduled a Push/Pull event in December. Pump was put back on with my BS at 13.2mmol, it stabled out again within an hour with a bolus and came back down to 9.2mmol and then kept checking it every hour to make sure there was no adverse effects after, all was fine.
All in all a very enjoyable day and definitely doing it again

Blimey, @johnpol , those are some very impressive weights! 230kg is the equivalent of me, plus three similarly built people, plus a child, or three of my OH.

I think I might be hyperventilating here!

A big well done to you.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blimey, @johnpol , those are some very impressive weights! 230kg is the equivalent of me, plus three similarly built people, plus a child, or three of my OH.

I think I might be hyperventilating here!

A big well done to you.
thank You I really enjoyed it, I'm already planning my next one and I will Lift even heavier!!!! I hope LOL

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The A1 was terrible on Saturday! I know 2 people who were caught on it, and it really mucked up their day.
Well done for not letting it bother you. :D