Hey all, going through a difficult time

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How about making up a pot of something such as hot chocolate to drink and keeping it warm over a tea light, then take small amounts at intervals. Use a tiny cup - one so small you can't think that it could do you any harm to drink that much. Over a day you could drink six or eight of the little cups and over the course of a week it could start to make a difference to your weight but not do harm. If you can eat slices of bread you should be able to cope with tiny amounts of hot chocolate.
As I am a type two with a problem losing weight our situations are so different - but I know the power of 'little by little' in overcoming what seems to be something impossible.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh there was another quick question I have too if you don't mind anyone that uses MDI, whenever you have had to adjust your basal has you insulin to carb ratio changed? x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh there was another quick question I have too if you don't mind anyone that uses MDI, whenever you have had to adjust your basal has you insulin to carb ratio changed? x

If your basal rate was previously too high that may have been, falsely, making your insulin too carb ratio lower than it actually is with the right basal dosage, because some of the carbs were being dealt with by the too much basal. So if you've just lowered your basal dosage, your I:C might need reassessing.

I dont spike greatly as I do pre bolus,

If you're confident that pre bolusing works well for the meals you are eating, why not just increase the portion sizes or frequency of those meals. A bigger meal, along with an adequately adjusted bolus, injected at the right pre bolus, won't change the impact of that meal on your blood sugar. Double the meal size, double the bolus, or eat whatever it is you are happy eating for breakfast again at elevenses, whatever it is your happy eating for lunch again at 3pm afternoon tea, whatever for dinner again for supper.

Reactions: azure

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish I ate supper but I don't eat from 4:30pm till after 7 the next day, also the I:C ratio hasn't needed to be adjusted yet x

Well there's no blood sugar reason for that. If anything, that would be making any dawn phenomen worse.

If you don't eat dinner, then consider doubling up on lunch.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One last question from me: Do you have any meals that just seem to work for you, and give you your desired results almost every time you eat it? If so, what is it, or are they?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why don't you eat supper?
I have my tea (or dinner whatever you want to call it lol) at 4:30pm and have never eaten after then since diagnosed well apart from when I've gotten home late from an appointment, I don't want to risk stacking or go to bed with active insulin :( x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have my tea (or dinner whatever you want to call it lol) at 4:30pm and have never eaten after then since diagnosed well apart from when I've gotten home late from an appointment, I don't want to risk stacking or go to bed with active insulin :( x

I agree about not eating too late, but I eat 6/6.30om and that works ok :)

Presumably you do eat if your BS is low before you go to bed?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree about not eating too late, but I eat 6/6.30om and that works ok :)

Presumably you do eat if your BS is low before you go to bed?
Nobody will eat tea later than 4:30pm so i'm stuck unfortunately :( I have a biscuit if I'm below 6.0 x

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kaylz91 the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert Meter can be set up to calculate how much insulin you have on board, as long as you are putting in your carbs and doses. It's obviously not perfectly accurate, but it might give you a little bit more confidence to eat later in the evening. When it suggests a bolus, based on the amount of carb you are going to eat, it subtracts from that insulin on board. Might be worth having a chat with your DSN/consultant about.

Sending you hugs xx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kaylz91 the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert Meter can be set up to calculate how much insulin you have on board, as long as you are putting in your carbs and doses. It's obviously not perfectly accurate, but it might give you a little bit more confidence to eat later in the evening. When it suggests a bolus, based on the amount of carb you are going to eat, it subtracts from that insulin on board. Might be worth having a chat with your DSN/consultant about.

Sending you hugs xx
That's the meter I have and I find it useless at giving advice tbh x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@kaylz91 If you're nervous about changing/adding to,your daily food, could you make tiny changes?

You've had quite a few suggestions above to choose from. So if, say, someone suggested adding a tablespoon of cream to,your coffee, could you try that but start off small by only having a teaspoon?

That way, you'd see that your BS was ok and hopefully been encouraged to increase the amount of cream gradually and add tiny amounts of other things.

You could add quite a few calories this way and do things very gradually so that should be easier. Tiny steps first :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Did your DSN help you set-up the meter?

With you being newly diagnosed and no doubt I:C ratio's changing frequently have you updated the Expert meter, the meter will only give the correct advice on bolus doses if the data imputed is correct.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did your DSN help you set-up the meter?

With you being newly diagnosed and no doubt I:C ratio's changing frequently have you updated the Expert meter, the meter will only give the correct advice on bolus doses if the data imputed is correct.
He helped me set it up back in December when I got it but I've changed it since then say at dinner I know 2.5 units keeps me steady for 26g carbs but say if I'm 6.5 and I enter 26g it suggests a 3 unit bolus x

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Absolutely.

People generally run on a 50/50 or 40/60 or 60/40 ratio for bolus/basal..

So if you need less or more basal, your bolus will go out of sync and could end up 20/80
Or30/70 etc ratio and this would either give highs or lows.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
He helped me set it up back in December when I got it but I've changed it since then say at dinner I know 2.5 units keeps me steady for 26g carbs but say if I'm 6.5 and I enter 26g it suggests a 3 unit bolus x

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

It will give more or less on meter according to your levels entry of carbs AND your blood but also based on other algorythims too like acting time.. ie how long your meter is set up for insulin to work in your body.this is normally 4hrs by nurse but this may well need altering. My time is 5hr 30mins.

The meter has a lot of background algorythms to work on. Far more than we may take in to account than when we did in our heads...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

If its useless, then its because wrong info is set up....

You need to be confident to change everything on it yourself and know that the meter is going with good algorythms and will be accurate to what info you have put in it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It's a while since I've used the meter @kaylz91 and forget how to change the settings, why don't you go back and see the DSN and say that your ratio's have changed and the meter needs updated.