ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi. Most of these NHS algorithmic tests are daft and best ignored. Would you take too much advice from any organisation that recommends diabetics have lots of carbs in their meals?
Totally agree.
I was told my now 4yr old was going to have Down's Syndrome and a nurse called me to arrange an abortion. Gulp!
Good job I totally ignored the computerised test result eh?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was around 6 years older heartwise well knew I was too heavy
Try it again putting in your ideal weight? Doesn't make much difference, apparently.
Like most of it's concerns is flawed I think the weight one definitely is. Cardiologist didn't ask me to lose weight but did ask me to keep as active as I can, in pain.
Weight section is flawed because some smokers are not overweight due to smoking being an appetite suppressant.? A lot of smokers fall foul of heart problems due to chemicals and breathing being damaged over a period of time. Breathing affects the heart a lot.

Reactions: Jowen

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the plus side I can't wait to tell my 91 year old Aunt that instead of me looking after her she should be looking after me cos her heart is younger than mine. :hilarious: That's gonna go down real well;)
My Aunt thinks this test is rubbish too lol.

I found some aspects of the calculator to be really depressing. One of the questions 'have you ever had atrial fibrillation?' Well yes I have. Not my fault and I don't have it now, but if I've ever had it then I die early anyway? On a bad day this could make me think 'What's the point of trying then'. On a good day (like today) I think 'the calculator is stupid and, I'll prove it by living to be 100'

Reactions: Bon83

Jowen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you everyone x Why was I so daft as to take it as read? I really thought an NHS calculator would be at least half right! I will write and tell them it is bunkum.

I am a carer for my 72 year old brother and I put his details in. He came better off than me which is amazing since he has peripheral atrial disease, COPD, Bladder Cancer and has high total cholesterol! So, I will pass on them in future - thanks again x

Reactions: Guzzler

Jowen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My Aunt thinks this test is rubbish too lol.

I found some aspects of the calculator to be really depressing. One of the questions 'have you ever had atrial fibrillation?' Well yes I have. Not my fault and I don't have it now, but if I've ever had it then I die early anyway? On a bad day this could make me think 'What's the point of trying then'. On a good day (like today) I think 'the calculator is stupid and, I'll prove it by living to be 100'

I have had atrial fibrillation too (had), still on warfarin, which is well controlled, as is my Hba1c as well. Yes, I am a complete write off! o_O

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I did this test with my own details - High blood pressure, overweight, 37 year old non-smoker. My heart age is 45. I can live with that.
I completed it for my Dad... Normal blood pressure, overweight (but bmi is probably lower than mine as I'm short, he's tall), non smoker, 67 years old. His heart age was 82. How does that work?
It's rubbish!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, no, it was simply called Heart Age Test . What is QRISK?

This is the Q-Risk 2017

https://qrisk.org/2017/

It's what the doctors use to determine our risk of CVD over the next 10 years. Above 10% is deemed to be at risk. You will fail it because you are diabetic. Diabetes doubles my risk, and it goes up every birthday!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is basically a load of rubbish. The issue is that it's a rebranding of the QRRisk tool which places an inordinate amount of weight on your post code for the population likelihood of heart disease, which means it is making a huge assumption about your demographics. As such it's a fearmongering pile of ****.

Reactions: Bon83

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I just tried this and my heart age is 10 years more than my actual age and as said before this would show as per the guidelines that I would not live as long as someone without diabetes - I know my blood pressure is fine and I know my cholesterol is fine so it is according to the test all down to my need to lose a lot more weight.....

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently my heart is 19 years older than me and I can expect a heart attack any time after 2023. However, earlier this evening Mrs DeeJay said I was the only septuagenarian she knows who scoots a ride on a shopping trolley (and falls off) and I could probably blag my way into the junior kayaking group she runs. Statistics? Pah.

Reactions: Pipp

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Mine came out to my age: 53. I guess that's good.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hello everyone
I did this Heart Age Calculator from the NHS. It showed my Heart Age as 95! Not long to go then, eh? I am 65 years old and really want to make my 80's at least! Has anyone else done the test? For me, it could frighten a few people - it had that affect on me, anyway. I thought that the NHS would be a safe bet to do these kind of things. Any thoughts?
Dear Lord, I would rather not know. I go onto Facebook and do heart quizzes where I know that they will tell me what I want to hear LOL

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Thoughly endorse that comment Derry60. I just try to err on the side of caution - eat sensibly, exercise mainly walking or keeping active with 2 small grandchildren.

Last edited: