Life with Libre

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time for a confession I don't have a mobile phone. <g>. So no app for me. The last sensor has been uncomfortable to wear, arm aching since applying it and new one that went on today hurt like a bee sting but isn't hurting anymore. So I'm not feeling the love for the Libre at the moment.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Time for a confession I don't have a mobile phone. <g>. So no app for me. The last sensor has been uncomfortable to wear, arm aching since applying it and new one that went on today hurt like a bee sting but isn't hurting anymore. So I'm not feeling the love for the Libre at the moment.
I'm on my 4th sensor and have noted that there are very minor discomfort feelings on my left arm and none on right. Could be any number of reasons, angle applying, subtle movement differences, etc. Either way it's very minor and infrequent for me so won't influence my decision to continue using them.

Reactions: barb1

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on my 4th sensor and have noted that there are very minor discomfort feelings on my left arm and none on right. Could be any number of reasons, angle applying, subtle movement differences, etc. Either way it's very minor and infrequent for me so won't influence my decision to continue using them.[/QUOTE

The one that hurts is up towards the top of my arm and towards the front of it. It aches all of the time, much worse than a finger prick would. I've got one day left of wearing it, if the first one had felt like this then I'd never have carried on using them.

have you found any difference in readings from your left arm to your right? I've not used my left arm so far because I sleep on it.

Just checked my waking BG and it looks like I've spent the whole night at 3.3.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is one spot on my left arm that hurts like a bee sting if I place the sensor there. Stops hurting after a few minutes.

I do use that spot deliberately though - I have noticed that sensors are more accurate there. So I guess for me that bit of arm is well supplied with nerves AND blood.

Last edited:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all just coming to the end of a free style libre sensor, these things are addictive.
Have been using the NightRider with it for last couple of days and got to say i am impressed this far by both the accuracy of my last sensor and the NightRider
Last reading from NightRider was 12.1, my meter was 12.0 and scanning the sensor was 12.0

The results are fairly similar to what i have been getting with the sensor since i put it on

I've got a blucon too. I have a look at their twitter site now and then. They've recently posted that, "In future, we will let user enter BG value in the app" That'll be interesting if it happens because there's often complaints that sensors run too low or high compared to meter, so if it can be calibrated against a reading, like dexcom, that might help.

Mind you, they've been promising alerts too for a while and nothing has happened.

Ambrosia's version of "soon" seems to be on a different timescale to the rest of us!

There's been some chatter amongst the xdrip+ people that they might tweak it to allow blucon as a source.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ambrosia_sys?lang=en

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The one that hurts is up towards the top of my arm and towards the front of it. It aches all of the time, much worse than a finger prick would. I've got one day left of wearing it, if the first one had felt like this then I'd never have carried on using them.

have you found any difference in readings from your left arm to your right? I've not used my left arm so far because I sleep on it.

Just checked my waking BG and it looks like I've spent the whole night at 3.3.
Not noticed any difference between arms.

I place the sensors at '8 o-clock', 12 being front bicep.

The discomfort in left arm is extremely light, hardly worth mentioning, and not comparable with pricking, which I also don't find any pain with. All subjective though

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I've recently purchased a FreeStyle Libre and the biggest problem I've found is that I can't keep the sensor attached. I've tried ordinary plasters without much success and I've now purchased a roll of KT tape to see whether that works any better.

I use bath oil because my skin is very dry and that may be causing it, but has anyone else had the same problem and if so have you found an answer?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've recently purchased a FreeStyle Libre and the biggest problem I've found is that I can't keep the sensor attached. I've tried ordinary plasters without much success and I've now purchased a roll of KT tape to see whether that works any better.

I use bath oil because my skin is very dry and that may be causing it, but has anyone else had the same problem and if so have you found an answer?
Tegaderm from Boots pharmacy. I swim 3 and 4 times a week and usually just use 2 in the 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

KarenG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also having problems getting the Libre to stay attached. It is strange because I had no issues (except one) for the first ten sensors or so; however three out of the last three have all come off well before the two week period. One only lasted for 22 hours. Now, Abbott have been excellent at replacing them but it's really dented my confidence in relying on them.

Where / how I insert has not changed and neither has my lifestyle. The problem is worse with exercise (and - sorry - sweating!) but the the sensors that worked survived marathon training so I don't think it's that.

I wondered if the adhesive had changed..?

Anyway, what more can I do to keep them on? I have started using the pump adhesive stuff before applying the sensor, and Tergaderm on the top. That was when my most recent one lifted after 22 hours! What else can I do?

Really appreciate any thoughts as I'm in the group that has found the Libre pretty transformative and I'm keen to keep using it.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also having problems getting the Libre to stay attached. It is strange because I had no issues (except one) for the first ten sensors or so; however three out of the last three have all come off well before the two week period. One only lasted for 22 hours. Now, Abbott have been excellent at replacing them but it's really dented my confidence in relying on them.

Where / how I insert has not changed and neither has my lifestyle. The problem is worse with exercise (and - sorry - sweating!) but the the sensors that worked survived marathon training so I don't think it's that.

I wondered if the adhesive had changed..?

Anyway, what more can I do to keep them on? I have started using the pump adhesive stuff before applying the sensor, and Tergaderm on the top. That was when my most recent one lifted after 22 hours! What else can I do?

Really appreciate any thoughts as I'm in the group that has found the Libre pretty transformative and I'm keen to keep using it.
I had a load of problems with them falling off - skin tac wipe - amazing!
Last two weeks on holiday - very hot, at times quite sweaty, pool, sea - showers loads off and then when it ended and I had to get it off - almost impossible.

Skin Tac Wipe works like a dream and quite cheap to.

Reactions: Danny340

KarenG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a load of problems with them falling off - skin tac wipe - amazing!
Last two weeks on holiday - very hot, at times quite sweaty, pool, sea - showers loads off and then when it ended and I had to get it off - almost impossible.

Skin Tac Wipe works like a dream and quite cheap to.

I wonder why that didn't work for me. The last two sensors (both of which have not stayed on) I put that on first, then sensor, then Tergaderm. Apologies, I called it "pump adhesive stuff" in my post as I couldn't remember the name!!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a fair bit of thought and research I decided to take the plunge and have a go with the Libre sensor. I thought it might be useful to record my thoughts in one place in case anyone else was thinking about it.
I had a few misgivings but my main concern was it would fall off as I spend a couple of hours in a swimming pool 3 or 4 times a week which is well beyond their 30 mins maximum. With that in mind I decided I have to tape the sensor. I eventually went for Opsite transparent tape but I put some gauze over the sensor so that the Opsite is sticking to my arm not the sensor.
I ordered direct from freestyle and have to say the order was processed and arrived quickly. Yesterday I made sure I read everything and that I was happy with what I had to do. Today I waited until the afternoon when my BG is pretty stable, had a shower , made sure I was nice and dry then used the medicated wipe.
As suggested I picked the back of my arm. Being left handed I went for the right arm. If I'm honest I would have preferred to fix it to the abdominal area but I followed the instructions.
It was straightforward enough. I did find the applicator difficult to open but that was probably because I didn't want to damage it. Opened the sterile pack with the sensor , lined up the black indicator lines and very tentatively pressed down to attach the sensor to the applicator.
It contains a needle - yes it does. Very much like a long Lancet needle and that's going to be such in me for 14 days? Told myself not to be silly , put the applicator in place and pressed down. There is an advantage to bingo wings - I didn't feel a thing.
Next step is to remove the applicator. Easier said than done as I'd managed to nip some of my skin into it. A bit of gentle extraction later I freed my skin and the applicator without detaching the now stuck sensor.
With Hubby's help I applied gauze and Opsite to ensure it stayed put. I'm leaving it quietly in place until tomorrow afternoon and will activate it.
Once I got over being tentative it was surprisingly easy and painless to attach. Just hoping activation is as problem free tomorrow.
Thanks for this, it's VERY useful for me. Speaking as someone who delayed for about a week before I could bring myself to use the little lancet that came with my bg monitor NO WAY am I getting a Libre, however tempting it sounds in other respects. Much better to know now!

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder why that didn't work for me. The last two sensors (both of which have not stayed on) I put that on first, then sensor, then Tergaderm. Apologies, I called it "pump adhesive stuff" in my post as I couldn't remember the name!!
I am really surprised that didn't work - it even sticks my fingers together :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for this, it's VERY useful for me. Speaking as someone who delayed for about a week before I could bring myself to use the little lancet that came with my bg monitor NO WAY am I getting a Libre, however tempting it sounds in other respects. Much better to know now!
If you read on further in my musings you'll discover that the needle doesn't stay in you - it is there to insert a little filament. I've been using them a while now and to be honest I wouldn't be without it now. I forget it's there much of the time - it doesn't hurt honestly.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you read on further in my musings you'll discover that the needle doesn't stay in you - it is there to insert a little filament. I've been using them a while now and to be honest I wouldn't be without it now. I forget it's there much of the time - it doesn't hurt honestly.

I get that it works for you, but I am not so brave! Reading what you have just written just makes me feel worse. So you have to pull the needle out as well as push it in??? And then there is a filament IN ME!!! NO WAY! Makes me feel finger pricking is almost enjoyable by comparison. But thanks.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I got this stinging sensation also, so have given up on libre due to this and inaccurate results. To be fair when I got the stinging it was about 7 days into having the libre in place with tape over the top; maybe they could do either an extra super adhesive version for sports types (in the knowledge that there will be extra cleanup required after use) or make that adhesive area wider.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well my experiment starts tomorrow. I applied the last sensor that expired on 31 August and it is due for activation tomorrow. The one I am currently wearing also expired 31 August but was applied before the expiry date which is fine according to Abbott. To be honest it has been a good sensor only measuring 0.4/0.5 under the finger jab at 15 mins. I'll do a few checks when I activate the new 'out of date' sensor just to be sure. If it fails I do have a new batch.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well my experiment starts tomorrow. I applied the last sensor that expired on 31 August and it is due for activation tomorrow. The one I am currently wearing also expired 31 August but was applied before the expiry date which is fine according to Abbott. To be honest it has been a good sensor only measuring 0.4/0.5 under the finger jab at 15 mins. I'll do a few checks when I activate the new 'out of date' sensor just to be sure. If it fails I do have a new batch.

Meant to add, when I applied this sensor I actually had blood come through the little open bit on top and run down my arm. I'm not squeamish so I cleaned it with antiseptic wipes and it stopped quite quickly. Looked worse than it was - lucky if it was even 1/2 a teaspoon. Wish blood for my tests came out as easy as that!
It didn't hurt and I don't think it is anything to do with the fact it had expired - obviously just hit the spot. I have had blood on the sensor before but never coming through it. Have to say any time there has been blood it is usually pretty accurate.