neuropathy ?

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Have painful ball joint of big toe for which DR is sending me for xray but thinks it may be nueropathy .Its just pain and big toe is not numb so is this likely to be that dreaded thing

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
300 mg of R ALA took care of all my neuropathy. Certainly worth a try

Dr_Anders

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If the pain is just in your big toe joint it sounds like it is more likely due to changes in the bony structure rather than neuropathy, following your x-ray results I would make an appt with your podiatrist for advice about the structure and function of your feet

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Myself and @ally1 are looking for answers to our symptoms too.
Myself I have wobbly legs and feet with 2 toes feeling weird again (stopped r-ala for my upcoming bariatric surgery).
Is balance effected by neuropathy? Does all neuropathy have numbness?
I have scatica pain in right leg from 2 bulging discs. Gp and physiotheraphist is aware but looking drunk in walking is getting worse. Is it the starts of neuropathy? @Dr_Anders

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that every day? That stuff is not cheap.... Not that would not make it worth it mind you.
It is not cheap but it is worth it. I hoarded it only to find out within a month I was almost clear. I still take one a day ( as I hoarded them ) just for all it's other benefits.

@ickihun, when I was having the worst of my neuropathy my balance was effected. Closed eyes in the shower to rinse shampoo and I had to hold the wall Walking down stairs was a bit challenging. When your feet aren't telling you sensations and minimizing the feeling it does lead to balance issues IMO and experience. Luckily R ALA cleared all that up.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It is not cheap but it is worth it. I hoarded it only to find out within a month I was almost clear. I still take one a day ( as I hoarded them ) just for all it's other benefits.

@ickihun, when I was having the worst of my neuropathy my balance was effected. Closed eyes in the shower to rinse shampoo and I had to hold the wall Walking down stairs was a bit challenging. When your feet aren't telling you sensations and minimizing the feeling it does lead to balance issues IMO and experience. Luckily R ALA cleared all that up.
I have some in. I might have to take now I know op wont be this year.
My toes got better last time but I dont remember wobbly feet or bad balance. My bgs are very good lately - ironic, dont you think?

Dr_Anders

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@ickihun yes balance can be affected by neuropathy as nerve damage can affect proprioception (your ability to sense movement and the position of your feet and legs). You may not be able to sense where your feet or legs are in relation to the rest of you, or what they are doing. When this sense starts to fail you may find that you start to walk in a different way, or have trouble balancing. I would recommend you see a podiatrist and they will be able to assess the nerve function to your feet

Reactions: mikegresty

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun yes balance can be affected by neuropathy as nerve damage can affect proprioception (your ability to sense movement and the position of your feet and legs). You may not be able to sense where your feet or legs are in relation to the rest of you, or what they are doing. When this sense starts to fail you may find that you start to walk in a different way, or have trouble balancing. I would recommend you see a podiatrist and they will be able to assess the nerve function to your feet
Thank you.
I will request a referral via my gp.
Thanks again.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have painful ball joint of big toe for which DR is sending me for xray but thinks it may be nueropathy .Its just pain and big toe is not numb so is this likely to be that dreaded thing
Could it be a bunion forming?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It doesn't sound like 'typical' neuropathy- hopefully it's a lesser complaint, or something exacerbated by blood-sugars that you can get under control. I had quite severe neuropathy in my feet and fingers, with some completely numb toes (I could have pushed a drawing pin in and felt nothing!) but then lots of pain in the balls of my feet, and peroneal tendon issues. I also had permanent pins and needles in my right thumb, and tendonitis in both elbows. But after being diagnosed and sorting my sugars out, it faded a lot. Mine was related to very high sugars and hyperlipidemia, so that is probably quite different to your case, but Dr Richard K Bernstein maintains (with a focus on T1) that keeping BG low enough allows nerves to slowly recover, and that was borne out in my case. Hope some of that helps, and in any event, good luck with your xray!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The balls of both feet were so painful and I was scared of the dreaded neuropathy, so went to GP. He referred me to the hospital for ultrasound scans on both feet.

It was Morton's Neuroma - something to do with the nerves at the base of your toes.

Some days I couldn't put my feet to the ground. I was referred to a podiatrist and he gave me exercises to do to stretch my feet. He also told me to stop wearing shoes with a heel - this was hard as I am only 4ft 11inches. I did the exercises and changed my footwear and the pain is so much reduced I can walk again without pain.

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem!

danielcvs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have several neuropathies, one of them causing Gastroperesis - I can´t digest food properly, and one thing that helped me is CBD. I get it from Medipen.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't digest food properly (exocrine insufficiency) and have been taking Creon 10,000 for 3 years now - I capsule for every 6g of fat I consume. It's a real pain not only counting carbs, but having to count grams of fat as well. We just have to 'keep on trucking', as they say!

What is CBD?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Told today up to a wait of 18wks after seeing surgeon for my op.
Plenty of time to get r-ala in system and out before op.
I do have a worry of taking it near an op which may confuse meds going forward. As I cannot afford r-ala month on month, at mo.

Will 46

I have had the same symptoms ,very tender to touch and swollen in the joint , but this turned out to be GOUT ,which when treated subsided after 7/10 days and a daily dose of Allopurinol 100mgs keeps this at bay

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Thanks for replies
Defo not gout as no swelling redness heat etc, Had xray a week ago today but as yet hospital has not sent report so still struggling on but did stop my daily 3 mile walk for a couple of days and that helped a little so guessing its arthritis

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
I've suffered all these symptoms of neuropathy for many years now. My legs will jump violently when standing and can be very wobbly and shaky at all times. When eyes closed in shower I must hold on to prevent falling through dizziness.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've suffered all these symptoms of neuropathy for many years now. My legs will jump violently when standing and can be very wobbly and shaky at all times. When eyes closed in shower I must hold on to prevent falling through dizziness.
R ALA helped all that for me. It was worth the price and I only needed it for about a month.