Itchy bottom (sorry!)

MarkT1

Hi, our 9yo son has only been diagnosed for just over 2 weeks with type1, and has just started to complain about an intensely itchy bottom! Mainly happens in the evening, I've read that diabetes can be a factor and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with their children? And what treatments could be used?

Last edited:
B

badcat

Diabetes can encourage thrush round the nether regions or in the mouth. Meds / creams from the doc / pharmacy usually help alongside getting sugars under control

D

Diabeticliberty

Have you checked his skin in the affected area? Thrush will usually be visible and the skin will appear quite red and usually a bit angry looking. If it does prove to be thrush then there are a number of over the counter medications availaby directly from pharmacists which will help although at very tender age of 9 it might be better to get him seen by a doctor. At least that way you can be sure about what is wrong and how best to treat it.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Thanks for your replies we have checked the skin around the area and there are no visible signs. Will take a trip to the doc I thin.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

I think Mr Pot might have hit the nail on the head. Threadworms (sometimes called pinworms) are harmless but intensely irritating, and very common amongst primary age kids,
Graphic warning ⚠️
They come out at night to lay their eggs just outside the anus, child scratches bum, eggs under fingernails, child puts fingers in mouth for some reason..you get the picture, it's a cyclical thing. Couple ways to check - when child has gone for a poo, threadworms are often visible wriggling around, they are like tiny pieces of white thread, hence the name. The other way is to check the area at night, that's when they're active. If it is worms, they're easily sorted, medicine can be bought over the counter.

heli2010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, our 9yo son has only been diagnosed for just over 2 weeks with type1, and has just started to complain about an intensely itchy bottom! Mainly happens in the evening, I've read that diabetes can be a factor and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with their children? And what treatments could be used?
intense itching around the area of the coxccyx bone so intense that you can break the skin just scratching try mycel powder dabbed on with cotton wool ball

Shaz1208

Got some medicine from chemist today just incase it is threadworm. Checked stools but couldn't see any of the little critters. But will keep am eye out.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

My son was diagnosed yesterday with T1 (11years old). A few weeks ago we treated him for threadworms because he wouldn’t take his face out of the fridge and sweet jar. Just reading your comment made me think about it.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OMG I had threadworms in the run-up to diagnosis AND the whole two weeks I was in hospital and beyond - I kept it a secret as I was so so embarrassed - I mean, it was bad enough wetting the bed all the time (due to high sugars before diagnosis) and trying to keep THAT a secret that I couldn't bear to tell anyone about the worms either!

Thank goodness my big brother also got them after I'd had them for ages, and HE was grown-up enough (12!) to mention it. I denied all knowledge of my own experience, of course, but had to be treated anyway 'just in case'!

Having read the above posts I'm wondering whether a sugary environment has an impact on threadworm infestations?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The statistics show that half of all adults over the age of fifty are at one point or another infected with thread worms. That is apart from children. It is embarrassing. I have knowledge of their reproductive techniques if anyone is interested? No? :D

MarkT1

Apparently it is due to the sugary environment. He had the medicine and the itching went away, don't know if it was just a coincidence or actually threadworm as never actually saw any.

Reactions: therower

LEGE

Hi

Along a totally different line, have you checked it's not the soap or shower gel he's using, Washing powder?

I had similar symptoms, thought it was related to my diabetes but it disappeared when I changed to an unperfumed 'simple' shower gel.

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Use a small application of foot cream to get rid of