Thyroid And Type 1diabetes

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks for clarifying - you doctor may have been giving you a misleading impression - he is prescribing to get your TSH in range, and hoping this will also lead you to lose weight. It may do, it may not, i don't know. in my case, i was not over normal BMI, but had gained a little weight, but more especially inches round the middle, and getting to a perfect thyroid profile with medication did not change that at all - or for my relatives. Keeping weight from going up became routine for all of us. But everyone is different - your doctor is likely to know more about what might be likely in you case.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
thought I would FINALLY add an update -- after not feeling right since first posting this thread -- I have finally been prescribed an additional 25 mcg of levothyroxine ( total 75mcg now )

I start on this dose tomorrow -- so hopefully I will be able to lose some weight going forward

GP wants me back in 3 months to re- test thyroid levels

fingers crossed xxx

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yay @himtoo - that's fabulous!

I have my dose changed every now again - last time, earlier this year, was really annoying as I was unexpectedly on too much and had already gone a few too many stops on the bus route back to Bonkersville!

Good to know they're following you up with another test in 3 months - with luck that extra 25mcg will make all the difference.

Hugs from Snapsy!
:happy::happy::happy:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
bonkersville is on my bus route too !!!!!
it is a tiny backwater with a very SLOW service to normality in my neck( thyroid ) of the woods.....

.......suspect it is the express bus in your neighbourhood ..... :D

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
.......suspect it is the express bus in your neighbourhood
In my own neck of the woods the bus service ground to a halt thanks to localised radioactive fallout - the replacement monorail has been known to fall off its tracks from time to time due to taking the corners too fast.......
;)

scotlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I was Diagnosed with Hypothyroid just over 8 weeks ago and I will admit to knowing next to nothing about it.
I have been reading a bit on the internet since.........

How many of us forum members have both ( thyroid issues and Type 1 )

if you want to share any symptoms that would be great and -- do you get relapses / how often to any meds need titrating to get back to feeling ok ?

I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open , was constantly cold , and felt extra weepy for a few months before diagnosis.
I've been Type 1 for 48 years and taking Levothyroxine for about 25. My GP at the time reckoned you were likely to be hypothyroid if you met the four Fs: fair-skinned, female, fertile, forty+ . I was, and was also miserable - tired, cold, depressed, hair coming out like mad, depleting eyebrows, dry skin. My sister, also type 1, also needed thyroxine and so did our father. I now take 125mcg and results indicate it as being too much but without it I feel dire. Had a recent bone density scan as thyroxine can effect it but it was OK.
It does take while to start feeling better on the Thyroxine tabs and getting the dose right with tests every few months.

Reactions: himtoo

Fearless36

I had t1 diabetes for 32 years, and then last October got rushed to hospital with an illness. As part of that, my thyroid function was below par and I got prescribed thyroxin. I'm only on 75 at the moment which is okay but hoping I can eventually give it up.