Being Induced very early :(

Cidem89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has any of you ladies given birth to really premature babies I'm told that due to my kidneys showing a rapid decrease in function (due to type1 diabetes) they are deciding to deliver me at 30 weeks im so upset and extremely worried about my baby has anyone else delivered this early? (currently 28+4) xx

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tagging @azure for you:)

I was two months early by the way, modern medicine really is amazing so it's best not to try and worry yourself too much. I'm sure things will be just fine.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has any of you ladies given birth to really premature babies I'm told that due to my kidneys showing a rapid decrease in function (due to type1 diabetes) they are deciding to deliver me at 30 weeks im so upset and extremely worried about my baby has anyone else delivered this early? (currently 28+4) xx

Hi @Cidem89 That must be hugely stressful for you. All I can say is that sometimes it's best for baby to be delivered, and that it would be a decision your team took very carefully.

I'm not sure if there are ladies here who delivered quite that early, but I believe there are some who've delivered around the 32 week mark, and certainly more than one who has delivered around 34 weeks. As @GrantGam says, the technology for premature babies and the care they get is amazing. Bear in mind too, that your delivery will be planned so your team can get everything ready and be totally prepared.

None of my children were born that early, but one did have to spend a short time in NICU (the baby intensive care unit). While there, I was very impressed by the technology they had there and the exteremly high level of nursing care.

I suggest you ask as many questions as you can - make a list. I also,suggest you ask exactly what will happen, so that you're all prepared. Knowing things and running through things in your head will help you to cope during the delivery.

If I remember the names of any ladies here who did deliver early, I'll tag them in this thread for you.

Azure XXX

Reactions: Cidem89
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I had my daughter at 33 weeks, emergency C section, and whilst she was in SCBU, there were many babies smaller and born earlier than mine and the care my baby had was excellent and for me too. I wish you all the best for a safe, a healthy and a happy delivery. Take care and any questions or worries that you have, always ask the team involved, no matter what it is. Sending a (((((((((BIG HUG))))))))))) X

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my son at 30 weeks by emergency caesarean because I had a placental abruption. That was 30 years ago, things have come a long way since then. Nowadays they administer surfactant to the lungs to lessen respiratory distress. They didn't do that in my day, but my boy was fine when he came home after 8 weeks in what was then called SCBU.

Edit: There was a little girl also 30 weeks born the same night as my son and she left hospital a couple of weeks before him. Also a little boy born at 28 weeks who had to stay a little longer but was fine. Don't worry, your team know what they are doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cidem89 and azure

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I had my daughter in June at 30 weeks as my placenta was failing. Luckily I was being scammed every two weeks but they think her growth was halted at around 29 weeks. She was 2lb 9oz born. I had steroid injections before she was born and these helped her lungs massively. She was despite being so early I relatively good condition and only need breathing support for 5 days. She was in special care for just under 6 weeks and came honest 36 weeks gestation and weighing 4lb 5oz
She is now 15 weeks 5 weeks corrected for development and weighs 9lb and is a very bright alert baby.
I was so worried but make sure you have the steroid injection, it was incredible to see while we were in the unit the difference in babies who did have them and those who didn't.
I know how worried you will feel but special care is amazing and your baby will be so well cared for.
Your team know what they are doing and your baby will be so cared for.