busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK this sounds weird but I need a second opinion.

I went to see the midwife yesterday (complete waste of time) and told her about a problem I am having with excessive thirst. My blood sugars are not even close to borderline diabetic... they don't go higher than 6s after meals... she said "well you are diabetic so you will still have the symptoms!"

Erm..... :eek::wideyed::bored::facepalm::banghead:o_O

OK .....

So is she just another clueless individual who is pretending to know what she is talking about or can you have symptoms of diabetes without the blood sugars?!? I can't see how that works TBH!

I am anemic and did try to tell her that I think I am anemic but she didn't seem to care about that and just said oh right... I think the thirst is part of that.

She did insist on booking me for my 38 week appointment (even though I am under hospital and consultant care and may be induced at 38 weeks)... so that is about to be cancelled anyway.

Sorry for long rant!

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I remember being more thirsty during pregnancy, despite my gestational diabetes being under control. However, I would always say when it comes to pregnancy or newborns, that you should speak to a doctor about any concerns that you have just to be on the safe side. Don't worry about bothering them - maybe a telephone appointment would put your mind at rest.

Dark Horse

"Feeling thirsty, as well as urinating more often than usual, is a common symptom in pregnancy and usually nothing to worry about." http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/thirst/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Thirst due to diabetes is usually explained by blood glucose being so high (above about 10 mmol/l) that the kidney can't reabsorb it all during filtration and it spills over into the urine. This then has an osmotic effect so that more water passes into the urine making the person dehydrated which stimulates the feeling of thirst.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not urinating more and the thirst is the unquenchable thirst you get with high Bgl! It isn't the usual thirst of pregnancy.

It was more the fact that she said it was the diabetes and you could get the symptoms without the high Bgl....!

I do think she was just fobbing me off which is annoying.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Feeling thirsty, as well as urinating more often than usual, is a common symptom in pregnancy and usually nothing to worry about." http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/thirst/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Thirst due to diabetes is usually explained by blood glucose being so high (above about 10 mmol/l) that the kidney can't reabsorb it all during filtration and it spills over into the urine. This then has an osmotic effect so that more water passes into the urine making the person dehydrated which stimulates the feeling of thirst.
This is why I am so annoyed with the midwife! The thirst I am getting is similar to the thirst I got with the high Bgl, it isn't the usual feeling of thirst... it is drink 2l of water in a minute and still feel thirsty type of thirst. She said well I will have it because I have diabetes.... even though hba1c for pregnancy was 32...(this hospital does hba1c throughout pregnancy)... knowing that the thirst usually means body is flushing out because if high Bgl, she believes you can get it just because you are diabetic!!!

The other thing is liquor is normal and I am not urinating that much, I am also not swelling... so with drinking excessively I have no idea where this water is going!?!
I also lost 4kg in 1 week... I did mention this to the midwife and she didn't care about that either (like I said complete waste of time).

It is a worry because it makes me feel like I know more than this woman who my health and well-being as well as that of my baby is in her hands! I do feel from the meeting with her that she is not qualified to care for me.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is possible to feel excessively thirsty during pregnancy. I remember standing by the sink drinking one glass of water after another and my BS was fine.

How much water are you drinking in a day?

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is possible to feel excessively thirsty during pregnancy. I remember standing by the sink drinking one glass of water after another and my BS was fine.

How much water are you drinking in a day?
I am drinking between 2l and 3l a day not including tea. I take a bottle with me to bed too.

I don't think I am going high because I am testing constantly, morning blood reading is always below 5s after bf in the 6s before lunch in the 4s, after this I stay in the 4s whether b4 or after eating. I will take my tester to bed with me tonight and test just to make sure. I do test at 10 pm and usually in the 4s so unless I am getting an unusual spike I have no idea... the hospital does a hba1c Every 3 months and the last one was 32.

I do believe I am anemic and have all of the symptoms for that... however depending on which site you read thirst is a symptom of that!

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sweating more? More effort with the extra weight and more insulation reducing heat-loss?
Nope to sweating. Yes extra weight however I have lost a dress size in 1 week. The thirst only started a week ago and I get huge early on (I have big baby's).

Bgl bf sleeping 4.6 in night (5am) 4.4 and haven't tested yet as need to wash hands etc.

This is why I am so confused. But to be told that it is diabetes and not investigate further to find the reason just seems bad practice. She isn't a diabetes midwife and I have no idea why I am seeing her!

Any way thanks for trying, you all made more effort than she did!

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, just in case anyone is looking for something similar... it was because I was anaemic... however a few days after this (sorry for the details) the plug seemed to be removed and all that water found its way out, I haven't been constipated so since (thank god for that) however I haven't been able to get away from the loo... even at night.
I did have a bit of swelling after this but probably put it down to not going to the loo enough! Now dreading the post natal swelling I get where my shoes won't fit... nor my nickers etc!
Still waiting on baby... but the end is now in sight. Lol.