Saving protein for later in the day?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
anyone save most of their protein for later in the day, especially low carbers and mostly eat fat like nuts, cheese and avo in th eearlier part of the day?
I have been spreading mine out through the day but think my liver over reacts earlier, kind of like the IR in the morning. So thinking of just eating avo and some nuts until later afternoon then have some protein, then cheese snack then dinner.

New experiment !!!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooooooh, another experiment - am looking forward to what you uncover, @Kristin251 !

Timing of protein hasn't really touched my radar, to be honest. I eat protein throughout the day.

Today I've had:
B - 2 eggs
L - homemade lentil, tomato & coriander soup with grated cheese in it, hardboiled egg for pudding
D - homemade low carb moussaka (cauli/egg topping, not a floury sauce), green veg, a few strawbs, sugar free jelly, homemade yoghurt for pudding

Quite a lot of protein pretty evenly distributed throughout the day I would think although I don't measure it. Today in addition to the above I have had 3 mugs of hot jelly to treat the sore throat that is accompanying a revolting cold. Loads of protein in that too of course. Very soothing.

You can see here that I had a rise after lunch but circumstances today meant I wasn't able to bolus for my soup in advance so I'm putting it down to that. Oh, and I will just say that my reader typically reads high even when my line is steady, although I've been running higher than I'd like for a couple of days thanks to these germs!

image.jpeg

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
anyone save most of their protein for later in the day, especially low carbers and mostly eat fat like nuts, cheese and avo in th eearlier part of the day?

What do you call protein? There is plenty of protein in nuts and cheese.

I don't have any protein or carbs for breakfast, but I have more or less equal amounts at lunch and tea.

I am fairly flat all day until after tea when I rise according to how many carbs I had, then go to bed at my normal base levels, where I stay all night.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I had my slice of turkey with bf. Then had my usual second dose of insulin and still raised. So took a smal dose again and ate only avo until 3:45 and a few macadamias ( low protein) and didn't need insulin for 4.5 hours! And still didn't rise. I had a bunch at 2 different Times. Unheard of for me. I usually need a dose every two to two and a half hours as I start my rise.

Now thinking that dose is catching the tail end of protein. So I'm also thinking that as a low carber the protein and glysolosis ( or whatever it is) is kind of a different form of IR early in the day. And proteins act different for me later in the day as carbs would.

Just had shrimp and avo at 4. I need to go up before my cocktail. No insulin since 11!

@Bluetit1802 o was hoping you were going to respond as I remember an egg helped but just fat is better for you in the morning. Got me thinking. I know I'll always need a bolus an hour after to stop the morning rise but perhaps not as much and then I might be ab,e to go longer in between boluses.
I didn't have cheese and only a few Macs and avo. Cheese is reserved for 5 pm.

@Snapsy, I'm thinking me being low carb would be the difference how I process it ??
I used to just eat avo bf then added turkey and as we know D changes but I think that's when my bolus doub,ed and didn't last as long.

Guessing and love all the education I can get!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, an egg helped me but just coffee and cream is perfect. No rise at all. I know you can't have cream, which is a shame. I would just stick with the avocado if I were you, and perhaps have a little bit more to compensate for no turkey. What do you drink in the mornings? Coffee? Tea?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, an egg helped me but just coffee and cream is perfect. No rise at all. I know you can't have cream, which is a shame. I would just stick with the avocado if I were you, and perhaps have a little bit more to compensate for no turkey. What do you drink in the mornings? Coffee? Tea?
I drink a nespresso. Starting with the crema and a spoon haha

I wish there was something else instead of cream but I do like to eat haha

Part two. Had jusr avo since bf. No insulin for 5 hours. Went up 9 points in an hour. In the morning it would have been MUCH higher and much faster.
Looking through my journal ( good idea huh) I have written everywhere no protein bf. Then looking at insulin with protein and a little avocado I was taking 2.5 units before noon. 1 unit with bf, one an hour and a half later and half an hour after that. But the third one required a little protein or I'd drop.
With just avocado I was taking 1/2 with bf and half an hour later and had a slight drop. So less than half my insulin with just avo Now to determine if it's the morning rise or the protein!! Onward with testing.

I bet it's something with diabetics and glucagon being over stimulated in the morning ( picked that tid bit up from porktenderloin). I must say I'm a little wiped today staying so low but was afraid to take insulin. And I was experimenting. Thought I'd go up at least, just not spike!
I do feel like I need some protein in the early afternoon and mid day, then of course cheese and dinner. I do KNOW I can eat 3 times the protein at dinner with 1/2 unit. Not 2/3 less with more than double insulin.
Looking forward to cheese !

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Surprising. I slept about two hours longer and fasting was much lower than usual. I'm not sure if it's connected.

So today starts the no protein until after noon. We shall see if it was the creator of the morning continuous up swing

@Bluetit1802 im thinking of trying heavy cream. Do you ever drink milk and react? I'm wondering if I'm just lactose intolerant and not casein. And one wouldn't need a lot

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 im thinking of trying heavy cream. Do you ever drink milk and react? I'm wondering if I'm just lactose intolerant and not casein. And one wouldn't need a lot

I only drink milk in my tea, and I have to use skimmed zero fat milk because I hate creamy tea. It hardly touches my BS levels.

Heavy (double) cream contains almost no sugar, which means its lactose content is very low. In fact, a half ounce (15 ml) of heavy cream only contains around 0.5 grams. Therefore, small amounts of heavy cream in your coffee or with your dessert shouldn't cause you any problems.

http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dairy-foods-low-in-lactose#section7

http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_lactose_percentages.htm

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I only drink milk in my tea, and I have to use skimmed zero fat milk because I hate creamy tea. It hardly touches my BS levels.

Heavy (double) cream contains almost no sugar, which means its lactose content is very low. In fact, a half ounce (15 ml) of heavy cream only contains around 0.5 grams. Therefore, small amounts of heavy cream in your coffee or with your dessert shouldn't cause you any problems.

http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dairy-foods-low-in-lactose#section7

http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_lactose_percentages.htm
I'm more worried about it making my stomach rumble than carbs

I gave up cheese and all dairy years ago but have added the semi soft back with no issue. The hard aged are no good and the very soft like cottage and sour cream no good. But Brie, Gouda, havarti are fine. Even tested cream cheese and seems ok. Maybe double cream would be.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Without my thin stupid piece of turkey o went from 102-75. And I didn't take my 6:30 am bolus to stop my fasting rise. With the turkey as I've been eating I would MAYBE have dropped to 90. Maybe. I also need I small jab when I get moving around, showering etc. well I've been moving around trying on my hypo shop from yesterday and no rise.

I simply cannot believe that little bit of protein can make such a difference in the morning

Reactions: Bluetit1802