(Im)Patient Access

D

Diabeticliberty

I recently received a letter from my GP suggesting that the arrangement that I have had with my pharmacy who currently I ring for repeat prescriptions and they sort out all of the details will no longer be allowed to provide me with that function. A little investigation and I find that the NHS are suddenly nervous that my pharmacist who knows me and my medical history better than than my doctor might be asking for prescriptions that I don't really need. I will add at this stage that when my GP completely misdiagnosed my type 1 diabetes it was my pharmacist who flatly refused to supply the drugs that my GP has suggested I take for a condition that I didn't really have. In any case it was suggested that I now use the new secure, outsourced patient interface with the NHS. I had to attend my own doctors surgery and see the head receptionist. She insisted that I provide her with a photo ID. I pointed out that she might recall that I was the one singing to her on my last visit to the surgery when she castigated me for my choice of ballad. This cut no ice whatsoever and I duly produced a photo driving licence. I was provided with some registration details and sent merrily on my way. When I arrived at my office I attempted to register. What an absolute nightmare when the registration facility completely crashed and suggested that a fault report had been sent. i had no log in details as the process had not completed. I could not re register as the system said that I was already registered. There is no facility to speak to anyone. I logged a complaint which was given a 'ticket no'. I have been back to my GP surgery no less than 8 times since Thursday last week in an effort to resolve this. Finally this afternoon my surgery provided me with a log in identity no. Upon logging in I immediately went to patient records to be provided with a list of my own medication. Yes that's all folks. My medication list. The receptionist suggested the NHS has blindly banged a truck load of resource, blind faith and many millions of pounds into a system that quite frankly my 8 year old niece could have made a better job of in her bedroom for sixty quid and a Spice Girls Album. NHS waste?............GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yep. I am considering telling my surgery that I no longer have internet access so that I can get printed versions of my test results which, they say, I am not entitled to because I can see the results online but the system is not user freindly and restricts the viewing of results to the past 60 days. So much faff!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am registered with my local surgery, it was simple to arrange. I did have to have proof of identity but that's to be expected. I can see all my records back many years, make appointments and order repeat prescriptions. The system is managed by Evergreen Life and seems to work very well.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am registered with Patient Access and find it is brilliant. Some of the records go back to 1948! All my test results are ther back to 2008, plus all Medical diagnoses and consultations. I can see my blood test results within 24 hours of the test and can export it all to my computer or print them out if I wish. Wonderful resource.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just registered with Patient Access but I have yet to go to the surgery to sign a consent form to have my records online then it should be all systems go. I don't know how much of the records will be there to see as it seems to vary from practise to practice as it is up to them how much they want to put online

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep. I am considering telling my surgery that I no longer have internet access so that I can get printed versions of my test results which, they say, I am not entitled to because I can see the results online but the system is not user freindly and restricts the viewing of results to the past 60 days. So much faff!
Are you not able to print the test results yourself from your own internet access

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Are you not able to print the test results yourself from your own internet access

No printer and normally no use for one. I have written to the practice manager about this as I know I am entitled to see whatever is in my records but have had no reply as yet.

D

Diabeticliberty

I am registered with Patient Access and find it is brilliant. Some of the records go back to 1948! All my test results are ther back to 2008, plus all Medical diagnoses and consultations. I can see my blood test results within 24 hours of the test and can export it all to my computer or print them out if I wish. Wonderful resource.

Was all of this available immediately or did you need to take extra steps to put the stuff in place? I only ask because mine looks really minimalist.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Guzzler, one SystemOne, although one can only see x days of results at any given time, one can search in batches of x days. I can go back quite a way on mine.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Guzzler, one SystemOne, although one can only see x days of results at any given time, one can search in batches of x days. I can go back quite a way on mine.
Will try that, thanks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was all of this available immediately or did you need to take extra steps to put the stuff in place? I only ask because mine looks really minimalist.

Diabeticliberty - at our practice you will only be granted access to exactly what you requested.

Initially only prescription lists and the ability to order a repeat were available to us, until another phase of development was deployed.

These days I can also see my patient record, but the coded entry version. I don't see the attaching correspondence, but generally that's good enough.

I always check my record a couple of days after I have seen anyone at the practice to ensure the entries reflect my understanding.

If you would like access to additional content you may have to ask for it, in writing. I wasn't asked to produce ID again though.

D

Diabeticliberty

Diabeticliberty - at our practice you will only be granted access to exactly what you requested.

Initially only prescription lists and the ability to order a repeat were available to us, until another phase of development was deployed.

These days I can also see my patient record, but the coded entry version. I don't see the attaching correspondence, but generally that's good enough.

I always check my record a couple of days after I have seen anyone at the practice to ensure the entries reflect my understanding.

If you would like access to additional content you may have to ask for it, in writing. I wasn't asked to produce ID again though.

When I registered there were 3 check boxes. The first was order repeat prescriptions. The second was make appointments. The third was view your own records. I checked all 3 boxes. When I now click on the view patient records tab all that is there is a list of my medication. I will contact my surgery tomorrow morning and take it up with them. Thank you for your help by the way :)

Reactions: dbr10

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I registered there were 3 check boxes. The first was order repeat prescriptions. The second was make appointments. The third was view your own records. I checked all 3 boxes. When I now click on the view patient records tab all that is there is a list of my medication. I will contact my surgery tomorrow morning and take it up with them. Thank you for your help by the way :)

Oh. I forgot about the making appointments bit. I had that in the first phase of access.

Just one comment on the appointments; not all available appointments are displayed on screen, so if there's nothing suitable online, it's worthwhile calling in (at my surgery).

Again at our surgery, it appears, that next or a couple of days hence, cancellations go straight onto the web for snapping up. It's always worth a look, once your settings are correct.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My surgery uses SystemOnline and it works fine. I had to register additionally to get full access to my records and I can now see test results etc going back several years.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I had to complete a consent form, show photo ID and this form went to a GP for authorisation. Previous to that I could see appointments, vaccinations (back many years) and prescritions. To see test results etc required the consent form.

Reactions: dbr10
D

Diabeticliberty

Well, well well I rang my doctors and requested that I be allowed access to my notes to be met with a bit of coughing and spluttering. What do you want to see them for was the first question? Are you attempting to claim for PIP? Was the second one. I replied by stating that I have what I consider to be a healthy interest in my own health and well being. I said that I felt that access to my notes might allow me to make better informed life choices and decisions regarding my own health. The receptionist started to physically cough. She went on to tell me that she will get someone who is more clued up on these matters than her. She did suggest as a number of you have already stated that access requires a doctors sanction. She felt that this was because a doctor would be able to advise me regarding what is contained in the notes. I am not attempting to be self satisfied, smug or particularly clever. I may be self satisfied and smug but I certainly ain't clever but the last time I saw my DSN I had to advise her that her recommended HbA1c target of 57 was not in line with current NIHCE Guidelines which are 46 or below. The last time I saw a GP at the surgery I had to explain to him what dawn effect was. The prospect of having them advise me on what is contained in the notes does not fill me to the brim with confidence. I shall of course keep you all appraised of further developments.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, well well I rang my doctors and requested that I be allowed access to my notes to be met with a bit of coughing and spluttering. What do you want to see them for was the first question? Are you attempting to claim for PIP? Was the second one. I replied by stating that I have what I consider to be a healthy interest in my own health and well being. I said that I felt that access to my notes might allow me to make better informed life choices and decisions regarding my own health. The receptionist started to physically cough. She went on to tell me that she will get someone who is more clued up on these matters than her. She did suggest as a number of you have already stated that access requires a doctors sanction. She felt that this was because a doctor would be able to advise me regarding what is contained in the notes. I am not attempting to be self satisfied, smug or particularly clever. I may be self satisfied and smug but I certainly ain't clever but the last time I saw my DSN I had to advise her that her recommended HbA1c target of 57 was not in line with current NIHCE Guidelines which are 46 or below. The last time I saw a GP at the surgery I had to explain to him what dawn effect was. The prospect of having them advise me on what is contained in the notes does not fill me to the brim with confidence. I shall of course keep you all appraised of further developments.

If you used the word "notes" you probably caused confusion. It is test results you want to see. Your notes aren,t viewable on Patient Access. You get test results, Consultations (usually just a brief sentence on why you saw the GP or nurse) and a list of past and present health problems. Normally notes are only available on paper.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Bluetit1802. On SystemOnline it's the same i.e. you get access if requested to any medication, test results, vaccinations etc but not access to the full system, letters etc. You have a right to access this information unless the GP thinks it would be a problem for you. Public Health England mandated it for everyone by this year. It's really useful. When I see my DN for my reviews I will have already read my blood test results so we just discuss them without her needing to give the results to me. It works well for both of us.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi. I have been trying for a couple of years to be able to see my medical records online. I was promised this was coming, but when it did, all I could see were my repeat prescriptions! I have been discussing this with the practice manager since the beginning of the year and she says it's just a decision the practice has made that they are not allowing full access. However, she then went on to provide me with a full printed record of everything they have on file for me, which to be honest is better. I will add to it by getting printouts of tests whenever I have one.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
The System One that I have, you can also check for results on the 'Patient Record' pages, which have unrestricted time, but it can be tiresome.

Reactions: Alison Campbell