pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have pre diabetes will I have to notify dvla
Thank you
I don't believe so.

I believe only those diabetics on insulin or other drugs that increase insulin production by the pancreas have to do so, the reason being that they are at risk of suffering hypoglycemia, i. E. Low blood sure that would make them potentially a danger on the road.

As pre-diabetics should not be on such medication and are not at risk of hypos, it does not make sense for them to have to notify the DVLA.

But I am not the UK and I am basing my response on what I have been reading on this forum. Perhaps a UK member can confirm this.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No. There is no need whatsoever to tell the DVLA. Only diabetics on certain drugs (not Metformin)

Reactions: gvintagedrken

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought that myself but they did start me on metformin .
Metformin does not induce additional insulin production. It works by limiting glucose production by the liver and improving the body's ability to utilize existing insulin, consequently it has a very low risk of causing hypos. Hence my belief that you are under no obligation to declare if that is the only medication you are on and as a pre diabetic you would be extremely unlikely to be prescribed other diabetes medication or insulin

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m Type 2 on Metformin and I checked, I didn’t have to. So no medication and just prediabetic definitely won’t need to. I did have to tell my insurer though, but no rise in premium was applied, not sure if a prediabetic should inform them too.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I’m Type 2 on Metformin and I checked, I didn’t have to. So no medication and just prediabetic definitely won’t need to. I did have to tell my insurer though, but no rise in premium was applied, not sure if a prediabetic should inform them too.
I wouldn't have thought so for prediabetics, or 50% of the population would be involved,

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I suggest that you look at DVLA website and see if pre-diabetes is mentioned in current pages? Rather than asking willing, but perhaps misinformed, people.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Reactions: Rachox