Size matters!

S

Sean01

Good morning.
Introductions:
T2 (Oct 15) met time release, diet and exercise. Mostly winning. (I have off days)

I was national level at two sports as a late teen but unless you are a fan of competitive life saving in the 80's or you were at the Exeter University main hall one Saturday in August 1986 to watch the finals of the West of Britain Body Building Championships, you wont know me. No biggy - if I wanted to be famous you would have seen me smashing plates or juggling potatoes on Britain's Got Talent.

Current exercise
5 a.m. 30 mins on a treadmill every morning going at a fair pace and at a steep incline. (I previously did the Loch Ness Marathon in 7 hours 24 mins - walked all the way - I love walking although I occasionally fall of the treadmill if I am watching game of Thrones or a viking movie on tv. I get very absorbed in the action and sometimes feel the need dodge swords or arrows

then 4-5 days a week: strong man training. First competition coming up next July. I don't expect to win. I expect to not embarrass myself. I'm 53 years old.

Health:
metal plates and screws in left leg - shortly after Exeter - career ending road traffic accident - the car was a right off. i wasn't!
heart attack ( a very small one) in 2006
2007- torn tendons (not properly diagnosed or treated - 3 years on crutches before the wake up call - time to get on the treadmill - leading up to the Loch Ness Marathon.
Blood pressure managed through drugs but the dosage is gradually coming down - the goal is to come off them.
Cholesterol - coming down but managed by drugs. This may be long term. as my problem may be genetic
Asthma - since 1988 - who gets asthma in their 20's? Still a good excuse to get off cutting the lawn and hoovering - such activities have sent me to A&E in the past.
Diabetes - obviously
Diverticulitis since Jan 2nd 2017 - but it took 6 months to confirm.
Kidney stones in Sept 2017 and again in March 2018 - i now drink a lot of water
Gout - managed through drinking cherry juice when I have to (bearing in mind the diabetes.)
Emergency appendix removed in Sept 17

I'm not dead yet, but every time I go to hospital, less of me seems to coke out - but I am going out fighting

What I lack in vestigial organs I make up for in muscle mass. My legs have saved my life before (1986 - the one that got hit by the car didn't break!)

My training keeps my blood sugars on track.

Diet: eggs, spinach, tomatoes (colon cancer is a family wide problem - the tomatoes will help reduce the odds), black tea, green tea, black coffee, water water water, oats - as a snack, kafir (bacteria based drink) with protein powder.

Supplements: protein powder (low carb) and rock music in the gym.

Beleifs:
Diet and exercise - all the way - never one without the other.
I have what we used to call cheat days in body building circles. In this world we would call it death by carbs. I'm human.
I can still get stronger and I am still gaining muscle mass but at 53 - it's slower
A sense of humour and occasional self depreciation helps.

Getting diabetes was the wake up call that has added years to my life. The heart problems were the problems that were going to finish me off. I honestly believe that T2 has added years to my life - and the quality of life is now better than it was in my 40's.

After my strong man competition next year I will do Loch Ness when I am 55. Then I will see what's next. In the meantime, Atlas stones - not all of them I'm a dwarf at just 5ft 8. I couldn't even stand on tip toe and reach the top plynth.

Good to meet you.

Sean

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Loved your post - you have a great attitude and a sense of humour :)

Regarding the asthma in your 20s - I was diagnosed in my 40s - they think it was triggered by mold spores behind some wallpaper we stripped of in an old house we moved into - it's much improved now but certain thing do irritate it - not vacuuming unfortunately though - hehehe

All the best with your goals although I have no doubt you'll achieve them all :)

Reactions: Sean01
S

Sean01

Loved your post - you have a great attitude and a sense of humour :)

Regarding the asthma in your 20s - I was diagnosed in my 40s - they think it was triggered by mold spores behind some wallpaper we stripped of in an old house we moved into - it's much improved now but certain thing do irritate it - not vacuuming unfortunately though - hehehe

All the best with your goals although I have no doubt you'll achieve them all :)
Thank you - wall paper mold spores - I can believe that. I occassionally get sneezing fits reading old musty books. It's quieter if I watch tv! Good to meet you.
Sean

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good Post @Sean01, been there and done it with regards strongman (just not very well!!!) all done with what I thought was type 1, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger was my philosophy, along with I'm hungry!! glad to here that you are coping with everything that life throws at you with a sense of humour! I have every faith that you will do better than you think in your comp (they manage to get you to go to a different place those competitions) keep us posted as to how you get on. I have just gone into powerlifting at the grand old age of 47 (I can't squat as I need two new hips) so us oldies rock !! I say that as I sometimes feel as if my body is a hundred years old.
Good luck and above all else enjoy the comp, they can be a good laugh

S

Sean01

Good Post @Sean01, been there and done it with regards strongman (just not very well!!!) all done with what I thought was type 1, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger was my philosophy, along with I'm hungry!! glad to here that you are coping with everything that life throws at you with a sense of humour! I have every faith that you will do better than you think in your comp (they manage to get you to go to a different place those competitions) keep us posted as to how you get on. I have just gone into powerlifting at the grand old age of 47 (I can't squat as I need two new hips) so us oldies rock !! I say that as I sometimes feel as if my body is a hundred years old.
Good luck and above all else enjoy the comp, they can be a good laugh
Thank you