Newcastle diet.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 3 day 19.
I woke this morning to my Libre telling me I was 3.4 and when I checked my bloods I was actually 3.9. Low for me - typically around 4.5-5.5. But dinner was 16hours previous so a long fast. However - good news.

Then Sunday morning so off out on my bike and I put my all in to it - it is more like a 40min intense training than a cycle. Before I went I had my shake to try and give the body something to burn.
By time I got home and showered - my BG was 8.9... Now that is unusual. I always find the combination of any of these three toxic so perhaps all three, intense exercise, hot shower, 25g of carbs was a bit heavy.

Decided to do a walk - and I was really impressed with the rapid decline. I went from 8.9 - 5.4 in about 25mins and within the two hours. The decline was rapid and early in the walk - not usual so I wonder if I had just given it time and waited the two hours who knows.

Then lunch was a non-event - which was good. BG below 6.5 in two hours, and Tea which includes veg so at least 30g of carbs was below 6 (which I think is a first for me) within about 90mins.

I have found before exercise has this effect - both really high BG followed by day lows, and I know that the exercise will help me for at least three days. It is a shame that work does not allow me to do a bit more but I will fit it in.

All in all - much happier today than at any time in the last 19 days.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Fleegle,

Wonderful news. Finally, you are seeing a positive impact on your blood sugars. I am so happy for you. Congrats.

Last edited:

Tannith

BANNED
Week 3 day 19.
I woke this morning to my Libre telling me I was 3.4 and when I checked my bloods I was actually 3.9. Low for me - typically around 4.5-5.5. But dinner was 16hours previous so a long fast. However - good news.

Then Sunday morning so off out on my bike and I put my all in to it - it is more like a 40min intense training than a cycle. Before I went I had my shake to try and give the body something to burn.
By time I got home and showered - my BG was 8.9... Now that is unusual. I always find the combination of any of these three toxic so perhaps all three, intense exercise, hot shower, 25g of carbs was a bit heavy.

Decided to do a walk - and I was really impressed with the rapid decline. I went from 8.9 - 5.4 in about 25mins and within the two hours. The decline was rapid and early in the walk - not usual so I wonder if I had just given it time and waited the two hours who knows.

Then lunch was a non-event - which was good. BG below 6.5 in two hours, and Tea which includes veg so at least 30g of carbs was below 6 (which I think is a first for me) within about 90mins.

I have found before exercise has this effect - both really high BG followed by day lows, and I know that the exercise will help me for at least three days. It is a shame that work does not allow me to do a bit more but I will fit it in.

All in all - much happier today than at any time in the last 19 days.
Well done Fleegle. Keep up the good work.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 3 day 20.
Another low BG morning - in the 4's. Not that my FBG in the morning have been a problem it is nice to have such lows.
And the lows before each meal have been pretty good to.

Morning shake, peeked about 6.5 lunch time at 6.7 and both came down rather nicely. The lunch time one was under 6 easily after 1h 20mins, So really really pleased with that. And that is going to be my positive take out for the day.

Dinner time shake not so good from 4.9 - 8.3 and then refused to dip below 8.2 even after 2 hours. I have a cold!
I also think I am not calculating the veg dinner correctly and am probably having 40g carbs in the evening which is still too much for me. Walk at 2 hours for 25mins bought be down nicely into the 6's.

No hunger at all today - ate on the clock not when I was hungry. It was quite difficult because I know I have to get three shakes in and that is quite hard in the time. Still not even three weeks in yet so no panic no tragedy no failure yet - and some real positives on breakfast and lunch - I just need that to carry on for all three stints.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 3 day 21 - tomorrow will be the beginning of week 4 and once that is over - it is all down hill from there.

So morning FBG slightly higher - 5.5. Pre meals about 5 each time.
Morning peeked below 7 and down below 6 in two hours, lunch more like 7.8 and down to 7 after two hours and finally this evening - 7.6 peek down to 7.4. No veg tonight, cold slightly better but a lack of exercise today just grabbing one 20mins after lunch shake.

I notice that I am not now hungry. I bet I will be tomorrow those additional 200 calories of veg make all of the difference.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for battling all this with a cold, which won't be helping your levels or your motivation. You are doing brilliantly.

Are you doing any weekly averages for FBG, pre and post meals, and are they trending downwards?

Reactions: TIANDB

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for battling all this with a cold, which won't be helping your levels or your motivation. You are doing brilliantly.

Are you doing any weekly averages for FBG, pre and post meals, and are they trending downwards?
I use the Libre and calibrate using finger pricks to know where they are.
This sensor has been the most odd - it reads higher when high and lower when low. It says my average of the biggest bar is 5.4 compared to 5.8 previously.

I would say if I took this week out (and perhaps put down to a cold) then I have seen the actual peek go down by about .4mmol. Today was the first day I think for a while that all three have been less than. The lows between seem a bit lower. But I wouldn't say there is a real trend I can spot. Yesterdays high was odd and the evening decay is really slow regardless of carb value.

I think you pointed out very succinctly that there are still many variables and that was such a good point. Some days I manage to get three walks in (my team are getting the idea of a walking 1-1 rather than a desk 1-1). Some days not so good. Some early morning meetings - sometimes late home. Sometimes business travel...

And finally the candidates on the first trial on average didn't really improve greatly till about week 6 and that was quite slow into week 8. Now I know I cannot map myself on that but equally I am not expecting better results than those on the trial so still really early days.

Reactions: Chook and TIANDB

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were doing this (and I am so glad I'm not!) I would be recording everything from FBG, all pre-meals and post meal peaks and bedtimes on a spreadsheet, and averaging each occasion each week, watching very carefully for trends. I would also be putting them in graphs with a trend line. This would be my personal motivation. I would then add notes about exercise, stress, illness, other factors. However, I am a data freek. Some might say just a geeky freek. ;)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were doing this (and I am so glad I'm not!) I would be recording everything from FBG, all pre-meals and post meal peaks and bedtimes on a spreadsheet, and averaging each occasion each week, watching very carefully for trends. I would also be putting them in graphs with a trend line. This would be my personal motivation. I would then add notes about exercise, stress, illness, other factors. However, I am a data freek. Some might say just a geeky freek. ;)
Normally I am too. A spreadsheet for everything.
But because of everything I have read I know that this is not a progress thing - more like a big change late in.
In his videos he talks about people thinking in week 2 they are reversed when in fact it is simply clearing the liver.

I have all of the Lire data which I use and I record when I ate and how many carbs.
So I have lots of data to mine later and my thread here tells me what every day held.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Tannith

BANNED
Normally I am too. A spreadsheet for everything.
But because of everything I have read I know that this is not a progress thing - more like a big change late in.
In his videos he talks about people thinking in week 2 they are reversed when in fact it is simply clearing the liver.

I have all of the Lire data which I use and I record when I ate and how many carbs.
So I have lots of data to mine later and my thread here tells me what every day held.
I feel the same way. I am not expecting much change until I am close to or at the very end of my diet when I hope the pancreatic fat will be gone. Some of what I'm losing at the moment isn't even liver fat , it is subcutaneous fat. I can see.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 4 day 22.
Another similar day to the last few days and pretty similar to when I started this. So no real progress yet - but then again perhaps none expected.
FBG Good. Morning shake peeked and then shot down - good - lunch shake a bigger peek still less than 7 then down - evening shake a bigger peek above 8 and almost no decline even after 2 hours. So it looks to me that although after a long fast I can consume some carbs, as I load more into the day - by the evening my body cannot sustain these carbs even though Wednesday I consumed 40g and tonight 25g just the shake I still get an unwelcome high. I actually think I have gone backwards just a tad in the evening. Might need to go back to bigger morning shakes, smaller lunch and low evening.

Last edited:

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 4 day 23 and over 40% through now.
Well a different and interesting day with observations rather than conclusions. No overreaction - I expect tomorrow to be different again.

A complex business travel day today including hand luggage only so decided I needed to reconfigure my shakes to fit in with the day. I decided to have a big morning shake of 45g carbs then 40g of shake and veg for dinner. Thus removing the lunch time shake. As a result - I predicted two big peeks but still the best of the worse options for today.

The morning one did not go as predicted. Instead it only rose to 6.8 and then dropped down to 6 in two hours. Not 10 days ago that was at least 8.7. So good.
Even the evening shake went better than last night - A bit like last night there was a steep rise and stubborn to. But even this is far from bad news, though it peeked about 1h 30mins at 8.2 it started to drop quite slowly to 7.4 at two hours.

I do not understand this because my shakes as a coincidence were all 12 hours apart broadly speaking. Last nights, this mornings and this evenings. Though delighted, I am not sure why the morning shake doesn't impact me as much - I mean significantly less. And I am wandering around all day - and sleeping all night - I just cannot get it - and perhaps there is nothing to get.

Anyway - wish evenings were better - but this morning were great - might try 45gs for breakfast tomorrow and overall my happiest day so far.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 4 day 24
Another interesting day.
Good FBGs today and throughout the day low.
Had a shake this morning, a double shake so 50g carbs.
Yep - it went up to 8.2 as a peek (not two weeks ago 40g = 9.3) then down to 7.3 in two hours - in the 5's within 3. Great news.
Decided to go for a single shake at lunch (rather than splitting across two meals) and so another 25g carbs and really didn't spike very much at all - less than 6 I think. Then evening veg stayed pretty steady just about .5mmol lift after an hour and I suspect (not at 2 hours yet) that will hang around low because the sugars need converting so slightly slower.

Now hunger crept in today. After the shakes in the morning and then lunch after the two hours I got really peckish. I stayed true to the diet and veh filled the gap at tea time.

Maybe tomorrow I will try 60g of carbs for breakfast - I doubt it though - would rather see some consistency.

All in all I am very pleased today. Feels like some progress but we will have to wait and see how the remaining 32days go.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 4 day 25 weigh in.
So this week I lost just over 2lbs but I only count whole pounds. So my total weight loss since ND is give or take is 16lbs.

Interestingly when I undertook this ND I thought I had lost broadly enough weight and losing a further 15% would be ludicrous.
Yet less than 4 weeks in I have lost about about 8-9% of when I started the ND phase. Surely that cannot go on?
Waist now below the top of the ideal line. BMI now dropped well into normal healthy range.
Overall I lost more muscle than fat this week so I really do need to start thinking about that now.

BG update tomorrow - packed day today and this evening - a wedding.... tricky but I will get through it.

Tannith

BANNED
Week 4 day 25 weigh in.
So this week I lost just over 2lbs but I only count whole pounds. So my total weight loss since ND is give or take is 16lbs.

Interestingly when I undertook this ND I thought I had lost broadly enough weight and losing a further 15% would be ludicrous.
Yet less than 4 weeks in I have lost about about 8-9% of when I started the ND phase. Surely that cannot go on?
Waist now below the top of the ideal line. BMI now dropped well into normal healthy range.
Overall I lost more muscle than fat this week so I really do need to start thinking about that now.

BG update tomorrow - packed day today and this evening - a wedding.... tricky but I will get through it.
Fleegle I have been trying to think back to work out how long I have had T2 and what my weight was when I first got it. That I think is a good guide to what my personal fat threshold will turn out to be. I can remember going to the doctor because of constant tiredness in Jan 2014. She asked me when it had started and I said I could only remember back as far as June 2013 when I had taken the lift for the first time to attend a dental appointment on 2nd floor, because I had felt too tired to walk up. So far I can't remember being weighed around that time but I do know that I was then inside (just inside) the "normal" BMI range. So some people, possibly you included Fleegle, have a personal fat threshold in the normal range.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 4 day 25 & 26.
Yesterday and today have been similar.
FBG good - 5 pre meal - and at times lower. I had 50g carbs for breakfast (two shakes combined). BG went up to 7.5 declining to 6.3 in two hours. I am seeing some patterns now. Fast and rapid rise through 5 into early 6 then flat line for a bit before second lift - slower. Then at about 1:40 starts to fall and by 2h30mins down to 5's. That has happened now with three breakfast shakes in a row (even if the exact levels are different) where the pattern stays similar. Lunch shake is the third - and coincides with my 40min walk and that doesn't go above 6 really. Then evening veg does not really blip at all (obviously to early to call today's).
So I am left with somewhat of a dilemma now - add more carbs in the morning and see where it goes - 60, 70 the entire 75? Or split back between three even shakes and see if I get the large spikes with each shake. I will have a think.

It is impossible to remove all the variables, that includes Libre, BG meter, timing, activities.
I am not even 4 weeks but here are my thoughts so far:-
A long way to go....
Things have improved and in the last week or so I would say.
I am seeing a fall at 1h40 which I have never seen before including LCHF even if the peeks are higher.
The peeks are declining almost daily. So I had a peek with 40g carbs a couple of weeks ago at 9.3, then 8.3 now 7.5 (and in the normal range) and that is at 50g carbs.
I couldn't eat 50g carbs in a week some weeks on the LCHF - and I wish I wasn't eating these carbs in shake form but there is no doubt that my BG is going down. I can see that by my Libre when I check my 7day average every day and see just .2 difference every couple of days. And sometimes it does go up a bit - 2 steps forward one step back.

I don't know where this will end - I have always maintained low expectations but I am confident that I could now eat 100g of carbs in a day and my body would not revolt and that is a 10x increase on where I was just 4 weeks ago.

Looking forward to the end of this and return to a slightly higher carb but still LCHF.
I was intensely hungry at times yesterday but it was a long day not leaving the party till 1am and I feel much weaker today even after 600 calories already.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 4 day 27. So close now to half way.
So my Libre is not reading correctly I presume. I have no test strips to validate it but this morning I had a LO on the screen - I was woken up from a really deep sleep but LO is less than 2.9 I think and that is not likely.
Then after my big shake in the morning it stayed below 6 and I don't think that would be true. Although it did sit at 5.9 for a long while - well past the end of the second hour. Lunch blip and my walk but I managed to get a walk in which made the blip a non-event I think. I got home after a day on the road it was reading 3.3. I have never had one stop halfway through, it has 5 days to run and I have tested it a few times and it has been fine.

Also - my wife has passed onto me her sore throat - nothing too much but I can feel my tonsils so I am expecting at least a few days of bad readings. It is that season and as she works in a school she brings everything like that home with her.

In a way the BG doesn't really matter - it is not the journey here but the destination. I might not post for a few days until I get strips then I am on holiday next week with little access to data. It depends if the meter wakes up or if I can guarantee some new strips to arrive before holidays other than that a pause in updates perhaps but I am still going - still fully committed.

Got really really hungry at about 4pm today. I thought I had left that behind me but no it has returned with a bit of a vengeance later afternoon.

Hygienist today. She was happy - I thought I would have no plaque at all but apparently it has nothing to do with the sugar! Who knew!

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is 3.9 on the default setting, unless you changed it yourself.
@Bluetit1802 = no I mean the words LO not the graph low. I have changed the target ranges so I can see that my levels are always in my defined range (or not on this diet :( ). But I think it goes LO when below 2.8 maybe I am not sure and I don't think I changed that anywhere. In any case, I wasn't 2.8 :) More like 5 would be my normal morning FBG although I have seen as low as 3.9 (test strip) whilst doing this but not a constant. It all seems to have recovered now - sitting here on a flat 4.4 which again given the time since food would be in the range +-.5mmol which is what it typically comes in at. This sensor had been the weirdest one so far - low lows and high highs compared to test strip and when on 5.6 it is aligned.