First pregnancy and type 1!! Help!!

Clarakor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve done two pregnancy tests today and they are both positive. My period is not due until tomorrow but my GP seems to think it’s all looking good. What’s pregnancy like with type 1? I’ve been diagnosed for four years.. My partner and I are ready for this and the baby was 100% planned but I’m freaking out!!!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Xx

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve done two pregnancy tests today and they are both positive. My period is not due until tomorrow but my GP seems to think it’s all looking good. What’s pregnancy like with type 1? I’ve been diagnosed for four years.. My partner and I are ready for this and the baby was 100% planned but I’m freaking out!!!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Xx

Congratulations @Clarakor ! I'm afraid I don't have any experience to offer. But I believe @tigger and @Juicyj do and will be able to share what pregnancy with type 1 was like for them.

Do try not to freak out too much! A little quiet and deep breathing can do wonders for that.

Reactions: Clarakor

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Congratulations! Are you under hospital care for diabetes? If so call your consultant or dsn to get seen asap. You need to get your gp to put you on 5mg folic acid. Apart from that the absolute key thing is tight control. Post meal readings are meant to be no higher than 7.8 at 2 hrs instead of the usual 9. It's very daunting but it is possible. A baby is a great motivator and there's lots of support and advice on here. Tagging @azure

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Congratulation to you both, I have had two now 30 and 26, it about your BG even in my day, don't stress, lots of appointment but all for the good and don't forget to enjoy thinking of you

Clarakor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Congratulations! Are you under hospital care for diabetes? If so call your consultant or dsn to get seen asap. You need to get your gp to put you on 5mg folic acid. Apart from that the absolute key thing is tight control. Post meal readings are meant to be no higher than 7.8 at 2 hrs instead of the usual 9. It's very daunting but it is possible. A baby is a great motivator and there's lots of support and advice on here. Tagging @azure

Hi!! I’ve been on folic acid for a while. My doctor prescribed it when I said we were trying to conceive. My appointment with the midwife is on November 2nd. The receptionist at the doctors didn’t seem to care that I was diabetic. But I’ve got a diabetes appointment on Monday so I’ll sneak it in then!!
Thank you so much xxx

Reactions: tigger

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is really exciting! I have done 3 diabetic pregnancies with good outcomes. It does becone a rather medicalised process and can be scary because you are growing a baby but do not panic and do get support (your ant natal clinic will likely link to a diabetic nurse ). Overall be confident in your body and your ability to manage sugars through all the anazing hormonal changes to come. Lots of support here too!

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
@Clarakor you need to be seen by a hospital and be put on consultant care. I'm not clear from your post if you see a consultant or not but if not you need to be referred. T1 pregnancy is not common and you need to be seen by someone who sees a fair number of these.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Congratulations!

Agree about consultant care. You may also have more scans than usual.

Happy hugs and best wishes.