Freestyle libre request

lely

Hi All. I've just called my gp, waiting on a call back, to log my interest in getting the freestyle libre from 1st November.
Not sure if I'm gonna be given it but I'm gonna try my best negotiations to get one if there is resistance.
Has anyone else requested one from Nov 1st and been told yes/no.
I'm in Northwest England.

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As availability of the Freestyle on the NHS from the 1st of next month is "subject to local health economy approval", I suspect that the first port of call should be to your local CCG as they hold the purse strings at the end of the day but good luck with your enquiry to your GP - please let us know how it goes.

I sent a polite enquiry to my CCG yesterday via their website. Not sure of their turn around time but I will give it a couple of days before reaching for the telephone!

Alan

Reactions: lely

lely

As availability of the Freestyle on the NHS from the 1st of next month is "subject to local health economy approval", I suspect that the first port of call should be to your local CCG as they hold the purse strings at the end of the day but good luck with your enquiry to your GP - please let us know how it goes.

I sent a polite enquiry to my CCG yesterday via their website. Not sure of their turn around time but I will give it a couple of days before reaching for the telephone!

Alan
Oh that sounds like a great idea as a first port of call Alan. May just sit down to an email later my self. I'll let you know what my gp says. They are pretty good. I know I'm the only one at my gps with a pump as the nurse who I assume deals with all diabetic reviews had never seen one and was very interested. And impressed with my hba1c reduction so maybe the thought of more control may give them the incentive to get me one. Or maybe I'm wearing rose coloured glasses again.
Please post on this thread if you get a reply of any sort.

Reactions: Deb1million

lely

Hi @Alzibiff. GP got back to me and told me to go though Diabetes center/consultant. DSN said it's a no go for at least six months due to our local economy taking time to assess it all. Whatever that means probably making decision who is gonna benefit from the freestyle libre most.
Anyway when I said I was interested in self funding I got the opportunity to trial it for 10/14 days from DSN. They are gonna make an appointment for me to go in within a couple of weeks. They are only funding one sensor but I suppose it will give me an idea if it will be of benefit to me before I commit to the cost.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most CCGs are saying no to the Libre, but from what I gather those that have said yes (read 'probably') have been the more northern CCGs, so you never know.

If you've not used a Libre before it will be a real eye opener for you!

Reactions: lely

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi I'm in Rochdale and have spoke to my Practice nurse who herself has spoken to the CCG.
I'm waiting for a response and will post the result as soon as I hear anything.
Do you drive?
Apparently the DVLA don't recognise the freestyle libre as being accurate therefor a finger prick blood test is required before driving.
This news discombobulated me as the whole idea, from my 43 years of finger pricking point of view, was the blessed luxury of not doing bloody blood tests................
Oh and I can afford to buy the kit but not the regular sensors that are needed..............

One good solid hope is worth a cartload of certainties.

Tony

Reactions: WHM and lely

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All. I've just called my gp, waiting on a call back, to log my interest in getting the freestyle libre from 1st November.
Not sure if I'm gonna be given it but I'm gonna try my best negotiations to get one if there is resistance.
Dear lily ,
Unlike the rest of the U.K. Here in Scotland ,inspite of all the benefits and cost analysis
those of us using the Libre have been told that we will not be getting it on prescription
on the 1st Nov ,My diabetic clinic ,GP and pharmacist have all tried but have been told ,Do not prescribe .This is being opposed by totally ignorant politicians in the Scottish Parliament,
Wjowen

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Dear lily ,
Unlike the rest of the U.K. Here in Scotland ,inspite of all the benefits and cost analysis
those of us using the Libre have been told that we will not be getting it on prescription
on the 1st Nov ,My diabetic clinic ,GP and pharmacist have all tried but have been told ,Do not prescribe .This is being opposed by totally ignorant politicians in the Scottish Parliament,
Wjowen
I was told if you are already paying for it yourself you would more likely get in on prescription.

Gary

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told if you are already paying for it yourself you would more likely get in on prescription.

Gary
Gary ,it does not seem to be that way .I have been buying these (£1200+ ) ,with the full knowledge of GP and diabetic practice,but it doesn't seem to help .The pact of information fro our Scottish MPs is very damaging and detrimental for diabetics .My letters to my MP and to health minister ,have ,after four weeks received one acknowledge ment .They don't care ,
Wjo

Reactions: Brava210

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Alzibiff. GP got back to me and told me to go though Diabetes center/consultant. DSN said it's a no go for at least six months due to our local economy taking time to assess it all. Whatever that means probably making decision who is gonna benefit from the freestyle libre most.
Anyway when I said I was interested in self funding I got the opportunity to trial it for 10/14 days from DSN. They are gonna make an appointment for me to go in within a couple of weeks. They are only funding one sensor but I suppose it will give me an idea if it will be of benefit to me before I commit to the cost.

One thing I take from this is that 6 months basically gets us into the next fiscal year and new budgets. So gives plenty of time to decide on a roll out strategy. Probably children and those with lost hypo awareness will be at the front of the queue.

Reactions: Brava210 and lely

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wrote to my ccg. They basically are refusing to fund the libre. They said they will not be adding the drug tariff to the FT systems for gp’s to prescribe.
I don’t think any ccg has approved the funding.
The NHS May have approved the libre but that’s an entire different story approving the funding. It’s all pretty pathetic if you ask me because since I’ve been on the FL, I’ve hardly been to a dr or been ill so have already saved the nhs so much money. Also to think how much the nhs has already saved since the fl came out almost 2,5 years ago. I’ve hardly had any glucose sticks on prescription.
I’d rather have 2 sensors a month on the nhs and pay for a box of strips every other month

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wrote to my ccg. They basically are refusing to fund the libre. They said they will not be adding the drug tariff to the FT systems for gp’s to prescribe.
I don’t think any ccg has approved the funding.
The NHS May have approved the libre but that’s an entire different story approving the funding. It’s all pretty pathetic if you ask me because since I’ve been on the FL, I’ve hardly been to a dr or been ill so have already saved the nhs so much money. Also to think how much the nhs has already saved since the fl came out almost 2,5 years ago. I’ve hardly had any glucose sticks on prescription.
I’d rather have 2 sensors a month on the nhs and pay for a box of strips every other month
Hi ,nearly exactly the same for me ,here,in Scotland .The politicians here are destroying the Scottish NHS ,is Announcing approval of the Libre ,then not allocating funding,in addition to this ,due to doctor shortages it now takes me seven weeks to get an appointment ,so any changes to my prescription results in my waiting eight weeks to receive it .I have written to my Scottish MP and the health minister but no reply ,which only proves to me how out of touch and ignorant they are ,
Wjo

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ,nearly exactly the same for me ,here,in Scotland .The politicians here are destroying the Scottish NHS ,is Announcing approval of the Libre ,then not allocating funding,in addition to this ,due to doctor shortages it now takes me seven weeks to get an appointment ,so any changes to my prescription results in my waiting eight weeks to receive it .I have written to my Scottish MP and the health minister but no reply ,which only proves to me how out of touch and ignorant they are ,
Wjo

I wrote to my MP twice. Both letters were ignored and no reply!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are considering self-funding the Libre, remember it can be used as a great learning tool without having to pay for sensors all the time. E.g. just use it for a few weeks every 3 months.

andydry100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just called my GP today and he told me that my diabetic consultant has to make the decision on whether i get the libra or not I’m beginning to think the hole thing is a farce!! and it’s going come down to a post code lottery thing

cloth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
.Hello,Yes I have also been trying to phone GP.When I made contact was told Diabetic Nurse away until Monday next week
So tried phoning Hospital. They said Hillingdon Health Authority have to have a meeting,looks like we are in for a long wait before any decision?
I have been using Freestyle Libre for a year or more and have found this to be very useful and I am sure this would save the NHS a fortune in Addmissions
I'm in N W London

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
our CCG still haven't made up their minds and probably will not until next year as I was informed the other day

Aidey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in the south and after recently having my 6 monthly review I asked my nurse at the GP's about the Libre and was told very quickly that there was a very slim chance of this due to funding in the area.

D

Deleted Account

This news discombobulated me as the whole idea, from my 43 years of finger pricking point of view, was the blessed luxury of not doing bloody blood tests
The value of a Libre (or any CGM) is not a replacement of finger pricks. It is the constant measurement providing history and trends.
I compare using a Libre to replace finger pricks as using a smart phone to just make phone calls.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I posted this in another thread earlier this morning, but it's probably better placed here.

One little suggestion I have is to see if your Health Care area is going to prescribe the FreeStyle Libre, it makes a huge difference to one's life and would certainly help lessen the worry of hypos (BTW more likely if mum's not eating properly). It's about £50 for the meter although there is an app for your mobile and the sensors are £50 each, each lasting 2 weeks. I can't get them on prescription but I think type 1s will have more luck if their HC area is prescribing them, it seems to be a lottery like most things.

Most CCGs are yet to make a decision on the libre. Those that have, have all decided it won't be funded.

Eg:
In summary, nowhere is funding it, for anyone. If you want realtime glucose monitoring you need to make an IFR, an individual funding request will only be successful if you have no hypo awareness and have frequent severe hypos requiring hospitalisation, if that's the case then you won't benefit from a libre because it doesn't alarm, what you need is a CGM.

It was hoped that there might be a potential for prescription after April, new financial year. But most of those statements say they will be reviewed in 18 months. So unlikely there will be any change in the short term.