Struggling

emma_hughes3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, I’m really struggling to eat, even when hungry. My life at the moment is very stressful and food is the last thing on my mind even when I’m starving. Iv had a really bad week (won’t go into detail) but it’s knocked me badly and I can feel myself slipping into my old ways of eating nothing and taking next to no insulin. Normally I’d keep this to myself but I don’t want to end up ill or in hospital again. The thought of food makes me feel sick I can’t even put it in my mouth to attempt to eat. Anyone felt the same and have any insight as to how I can help myself? I’d rather not see a dr

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Bumping up to see if more help around.

I have eating issues and never feel hungry but know I must force myself to eat... I am also a bit OTT on checking I get nutrition for the benefit of my body..

It depends on what is the main basis of your not wanting to eat... I always know the need to eat but its what happens in my stomach and colon that makes it difficult for me.

It depends whether your probs are through mental health, physical health or both.

It also depends on what your old ways were and again what you managed to do to change your old ways.

Wishing you well thoughxx

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How about jelly and icecream - maybe with slices of tinned peach on top?
You could even have some Cadburys chocolate fingers.
It might seem silly but 'celebration' foods can make a difference to how people feel about eating - can you remember parties as a child when you ate something special? Think about those times when you were happy to eat something in particular. Maybe birthdays or Christmas - visualize those times, or maybe imagine a perfect version if you don't have one to call on. If you can go through the process of eating only on a mental level first, thinking it through several times could help you to do it in reality.
I suffer from stage fright and I find the process of imagining a perfect performance reduces it considerably.
You will - of course - have to include the use of insulin in your visualization, but that, naturally, will also be perfect.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @emma_hughes3 Sorry to hear your feeling like this.. how did you cope when you went through this before and do you think this is directly related to stress, it sounds like it is which means trying to reduce the stress your feeling is vital, can you talk to anyone close say family or friends ?

It’s important to keep your strength up so eating something will help you cope better otherwise you’ll fall back into a vicious circle.

Take it easy on yourself x

jacqfromdwed

DWED Support
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys, I’m really struggling to eat, even when hungry. My life at the moment is very stressful and food is the last thing on my mind even when I’m starving. Iv had a really bad week (won’t go into detail) but it’s knocked me badly and I can feel myself slipping into my old ways of eating nothing and taking next to no insulin. Normally I’d keep this to myself but I don’t want to end up ill or in hospital again. The thought of food makes me feel sick I can’t even put it in my mouth to attempt to eat. Anyone felt the same and have any insight as to how I can help myself? I’d rather not see a dr

Hi sorry to hear this, I think the main thing is to make sure that you keep taking your insulin, not eating is bad but you need to make sure that you're not going full relapse. I also get like this as I have really bad anxiety and that just kills my appetite, it's ironic I think too that when my blood sugar is level I struggle with appetite too.

I bought myself a nutri bullet and loads of frozen fruit and now when I cant eat I zap them up with some yogurt (sometimes not if it feels to much) and then at least I'm getting some nutrition and often I find against myself that I've started my etabolism and I do get hungry. Something else I find that helps is being around people who do have a proper routine when eating, I think when we've had ED all our signals get mixed up or displaced and i's easy to us to just get out of the habit of eating. T1 Social groups can be really good for this too so it might be worthwhile signing up for a few.

Also I do recommend that you get yourself to some one who knows about your past experience asap whether that's a psychologist or a consultant asap so that you can get this nipped in the bud before it has a chance