Regular moderate exercise log

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Snapsy . I was seriously worried that I wasn't going to see you on this thread ever again. I'm so pleased to read your post, actually bought a smile to my face, which is saying something for a miserable old ****** like me:):):).
We always knew that you are ultra competitive, in the short time I've known you, I know full well that you're not a take it steady girl.
Sometimes circumstances dictate we have to reevaluate our capabilities and goals. Fun, laughter and success at the back has got to be better than pain, pain and more pain.
Take it easy ( please try:):):)) and keep posting your successes.
So good to see you back.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awwww, thanks @Japes and @therower - you're smashing!

The training session yesterday with my guy at the gym has meant that I've spent most of the evening in the company of my foam roller and an action movie on Netflix...... So nice to be back in the exercise game, though, despite the DOMS.

Oh, and drinking that pint of Harvey's Best/Diet Coke shandy halfway through this afternoon's bike ride counts as 'regular moderate exercise', doesn't it?

;)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I just wanted to ask about something I saw on tv the other day. It looks like a giant rubber band used for resistive training (the piece was about elderly people being encouraged to preserve muscle tone/mass). I do not know what they are called or whether they are worth trying. I cannot just sit and fester any longer.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just wanted to ask about something I saw on tv the other day. It looks like a giant rubber band used for resistive training (the piece was about elderly people being encouraged to preserve muscle tone/mass). I do not know what they are called or whether they are worth trying. I cannot just sit and fester any longer.
Hi @Guzzler ! They're called resistance bands - and you can either get a band (long strip of rubber) or a loop. They come in different strengths - I've got an 'easy' one that's a strip not a loop - have a look on YouTube for all the things you can do with them.

Here's a band:
image.jpeg

And loops:
image.jpeg

Love Snapsy
:)

Reactions: Guzzler

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Guzzler . I see my friend @Snapsy has given you the low down on resistance bands.
You're post seems to suggest that you're looking to undertake some form of exercise, not to strenuous and probably home based. ( apologies if you're a current Olympian)
If you have access to YouTube, a search under. GLUCOSEZONE. may well be of some help.
It's a site specifically designed for diabetics, exercise and the problems they face. It's very easy going.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My thanks to Snapsy and TheRower. I shall have a looksee.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooo.. somehow I didn't get alerted to these splendid suggestions from when I last posted! I was thinking of some kind of home-based exercise for the darker nights as I've gone a bit overboard on the walking for this month to get ahead of my targets so I can ease up a bit on walking in the dark. Also, my workload for the next half term is going to be interesting, so I didn't want to get into a flat spin about not achieving stuff anywhere! I love my walking, but the amount I've been doing is time-consuming!

Today should see me smash November's Total Steps targets (not sure if I should thank my students or the city centre roadwork which have caused maximum chaos with the erraticness of the buses. Or both, really.) And I'm well on the way through November's Continous Walking, Brisk Pace target. Somewhere between a third and halfway!

Now off to have one of my rare Sundays off the organ stool. And I am starting it with smashing that target!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Can I log my walking here?
It will have to be accumulation as can only walk for a short time, due to pain.
Is this the right thread or is there a one just for walking?

Well done everyone, by the way, :) :) :)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
d3d5d71a88b51cdd25bec34c4436922d.jpg

Very pleased with the way my daily walking sessions are going.

Just managed to reach my personal goal of 200km for October with two days to spare.

In fact it has taken me 29min less to walk 201 km so far in October than it did to walk 173 km in September reflecting an increase in pace from about 5km per hour to about 6km per hour.

Now need to keep this up in November!

Reactions: ickihun

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Ooooh it'd be lovely to read how your walking's going on here, @ickihun ! That's absolutely 'regular moderate exercise', I'd say!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ickihun . Welcome to this part of the forum.
ANY EXERCISE IS GOOD EXERCISE. Distance, duration bares no relevance. The fact you are doing something is all that matters.
Let us know how things progress.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've walked to my bus stop with 2 kids this morning in very cold weather conditions. I'm sure I saw snow flurries. (Not driving at mo).
It took 10mins then on reaching the other end I had 3 more 10minute walks. One only was planned but I had extra pain relief at hand for the extra 2 walks.
An additional 2 10min walks were done to return home. I'd planned a 20min walk to arrive home but 10yr old was ill so it was short-tailed.
More short walks are planned for tomorrow. :) :) :)

Reactions: therower and Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Definitely! I'm sometimes a bit immoderate in quantity, (hence smashing November's total steps targets a month early) but this thread helps keep me motivated. And, really my walking is not that strenuous, as I discovered lots of gentle exercise suited my blood sugars better than more intense exercise.

Reactions: Snapsy and therower

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hey @ickihun - great to see you here :)

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a great half term away in Wales - lots of walking as usual :)

Back home again - back to walking the streets, and the local park when it's actually light enough.

I had thought that I would have to stop walking in the streets when it was dark and start walking at the gym - but over the last couple of weeks of term I decided that it felt safe enough on well lit roads - and I much prefer walking outside :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I must admit, I like walking in the dark when it's dry. It's the wet dark nights I loathe.

I do stick to well-lit areas, keep up a good pace, and also wear a hi-viz backpack cover along with a hi-viz vest. I can then point out to cyclists without lights on pavements swearing as they swerve past me, that if they'd had lights, they'd've been able to see me... actually, there's no real excuse as I regularly walk on the side of the on-coming traffic and their lights pick up the hi-viz. I got laughed at a bit at work when I started doing this, but those drivers who've since seen me out and about in the dark have come back and admitted there is no excuse for not seeing me, and they wished more pedestrians in dark clothing would do something about it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm going to try and keep daytime walking up but also ice and wind permitting. I won't worry about that yet thou. I need to bring in running machine in from garage to warm bigger bedroom.
I'll sweet talk hubby and his friend when I can. It must be lack of vit d which turns us off winter activity, do you think? I always add weight in the winter. Always have.
Even dietician is giving me leaway over xmas, bless her. I have a naughty xmas day planned but not much more. Ghostly jellies came out last night. Tut tut.
Walking planned tomorrow for trick or treat but luckily lots of garden walls.
Monday (today) I walked 8 times in off and on bursts. I must have collectively done a mile. It took me from 8.30am til 2.30pm thou. I had a lunch and a coffee before school pick-up. So I wasn't finished til 3.30pm in total.
Trick or treat may vary in hours as I need to pace it. 4yr old's little legs tiredness will help me rest too.
Last year I just couldnt find the energy nor heart but still went out with kids. I was so thankful to return home and rest.
Old well worn in shoes will fit in well with my outfit to scare neighbours with the Adam's family make-up and costumes. 4yr old is a big boggly-eyed spider this year.
I cannot wait.
Please God give me energy, this year. Amen.

Reactions: Japes

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like a fab Halloween, @ickihun !

I'm normally swimming this time of day, but I massively overdid it yesterday by going for a swim first thing, having forgotten that I would be going to running club at 9.30! A very physical afternoon of cleaning fair tired me out - so it's a cup of tea in bed for me right now rather than thinking of doing anything energetic.

Looking forward to going to work for a rest.

Have a great day, all!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Back in agony today, even on full tramadol. Swollen water balloon tummy not helping. Always swell up after pushing myself. Physio said not to push through pain.
Stuck at home with sick 4yr old today. Calpol has fixed his temperature so hoping he won't need anymore. Then back to school tomorrow?
I'll try and get a little walk out after 10yr old is home from school. He may come with me. Feeling very very wobbly on my legs and less back pain sitting down.
If no walking today I'll definitely be out for small intermittent walks tomorrow as have hospital appointment and no money for taxis. Luckily next physio is at hospital sight at 6.40pm but still better than 3 walks and 2 buses (twice) at nearer location. What a life! Ha ha
I never thought I'd ever have a walking problem........I did definitely take it for granted, my mobility. If I had no pain or wobbky legs I'd be back to normal. Breathing been good lately. Even missed a few inhalers on an evening due to tiredness.

Looking forward to walking in less pain.

Reactions: tina_marie