OK so my codefree meter has arrived. Where do I go from here?

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
I feel apprehensive at the thought of using it but I bought it in order to identify which foods cause problems. When do I test and what should I be looking for?

Although I know my HbA1c has been hovering around 41/42 for at least five years it suddenly rose to 43 last week and I was told to make an appointment with the nurse. What is likely to be the procedure - other than being given the NHS mantra and told to follow the eatwell plate [as if!]. My Total cholesterol was 6.7 which I think is high although the ratio was 2.6 which I think is fine? The Qrisk has risen to 17.7% so I will likely be offered a statin? [Don't want one]

No history of heart disease in the family although grandmother had Type 2 and complications. she still lived to 90 though ;).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the general idea of testing out foods:

Test immediately before you eat
Test again 2 hours after first bite
Look at the difference between the before and after levels, which need to be under 2mmol/l and preferably a lot less.
Keep a detailed food diary including portion sizes
Record your levels near the food
Also record other things that may affect the levels (exercise, stress etc)
Keep doing this and look for patterns, such as a particular portion of food is not a good choice.
Play around with portion sizes of carbs until you find the size that causes least problems.

Being organised and consistent is a good plan. Random testing tells you nothing.

Give it a go, and come back to us with some results.

Do make sure you wash your hands with soap and water, rinse thoroughly and dry carefully before testing.

Good luck!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of extra tips. I find it less painful to prick the sides of my fingertips also change fingers regularly. Another thing don’t necessarily rule out a particular food or meal eaten at one time of day because your readings are too high. I find I can tolerate more carbs at dinner than I can at breakfast or lunch.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have a Codefree. The steps are easy enough, if you have any trouble please ask and remember to prick the side of your finger rather than the tip. Good luck.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to be awkward, I test on the tips of my fingers. It hurts me less and I can't get any blood out of the sides! :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just to be awkward, I test on the tips of my fingers. It hurts me less and I can't get any blood out of the sides! :)

Sometimes I have to squeeze like billy-o but other times I bleed like a stuck pig! Doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it. I've come to the conclusion that my big toe would be better, if only I could reach it :dead:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes I have to squeeze like billy-o but other times I bleed like a stuck pig! Doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it. I've come to the conclusion that my big toe would be better, if only I could reach it :dead:

LOL. I am the same. Sometimes I feel I am squeezing the life out of my finger, and other times the blob appears quickly. Of course, squeezing isn't good - we end up with interstitial fluid mixed in with the blood, not to mention a lot of bruises!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wash hands in hot water for best blood flow.
Adjust lancet device for lowest number consistent with getting enough blood, start with 3.
Dip tip of test strip in the blood, it will suck up the correct amount.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
OK thanks guys. there will be plenty of stress just doing it at first ! A bit like the way I feel when I throw the cuff round my arm to take my BP - stressful.