New T2 Which meter?

RinT76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
too many to mention, lets start with grapefruit.
Hi guys I am a new T2 diabetic, currently on insulin but the doctors are going to see how I do with tablets, I am basically their guinea rat it would seem, anyways they tell me if I go onto the tablets I wont need to do the BG tests anymore, personally I don't like the idea of not monitoring my levels and I have already spoken to someone on the forums who agrees I should keep monitoring. The hospital gave me a AgaMatrix Jazz meter, but I am aware if they do put me on the tablets I will probably not get the strips and lances on the NHS anymore, So here's my question, what do I do next? Is there a better meter for me? I was thinking about buying an Accu-chek mobile thingy, but I am really not sure about what I should be buying and what the long term affects on my wallet will be. I have no doubt that many of you are experts in this area so could you guys please advise me? Thank you in advance for your time.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How long is the shelf life on the strips for your current meter........

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooo yes, the Accu Chek Mobile is the one I use and I highly recommend it. BUT, and it is a big but, the replacement strips are extremely expensive - like about £30 for 50. You can get meters that have much cheaper strips. The choice is yours. You only need one meter but you need thousands of strips.

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

RinT76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
How long is the shelf life on the strips for your current meter........

I think I got some time yet, but I know that new meters can be not so cheap so I want to start saving now just in case, and I would like to have some idea what I should be looking for, because right now I have none, hence me picking your brains :p

RinT76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Oooo yes, the Accu Chek Mobile is the one I use and I highly recommend it. BUT, and it is a big but, the replacement strips are extremely expensive - like about £30 for 50. You can get meters that have much cheaper strips. The choice is yours. You only need one meter but you need thousands of strips.

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Thank you yet again Blue, you are being extremely helpful today. I am more worried about the quality of the meter than the cost. Quality and accuracy primary, secondary cost, I don't want to spend a fortune on a flashy meter with bells and whistles I probably won't use but at the same time I don't want to spend money on a cheap meter that's not going to be suitable for me. hence why I was thinking the accu-chek one.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you yet again Blue, you are being extremely helpful today. I am more worried about the quality of the meter than the cost. Quality and accuracy primary, secondary cost, I don't want to spend a fortune on a flashy meter with bells and whistles I probably won't use but at the same time I don't want to spend money on a cheap meter that's not going to be suitable for me. hence why I was thinking the accu-chek one.

I understand what you are saying. However, all meters have to pass the same accuracy standards before they can be marketed. None of them is accurate. They just need to be within plus or minus 15% for 95% of the time. I like the Accu Chek Mobile because it is convenient. The strips come inside a cartridge that is inserted in the meter. There is no handling of strips and much less danger of contamination. It also has a lancet pen that can be attached at the side, and this holds a drum of 6 lancets, so again, no touching lancets. You also only need the meter to carry about with you. Other meters you also need to carry about the tub of strips and the lancet device. I doubt it the accuracy is very much different from any other meter.

If you come off insulin and have to buy your own, all you will be looking for are trends, upwards and downwards, and what eat of your food choices are doing to your levels. Accuracy is only essential if you have to inject insulin according to your meter readings - and you don't.

Reactions: RinT76

RinT76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I understand what you are saying. However, all meters have to pass the same accuracy standards before they can be marketed. None of them is accurate. They just need to be within plus or minus 15% for 95% of the time. I like the Accu Chek Mobile because it is convenient. The strips come inside a cartridge that is inserted in the meter. There is no handling of strips and much less danger of contamination. It also has a lancet pen that can be attached at the side, and this holds a drum of 6 lancets, so again, no touching lancets. You also only need the meter to carry about with you. Other meters you also need to carry about the tub of strips and the lancet device. I doubt it the accuracy is very much different from any other meter.

If you come off insulin and have to buy your own, all you will be looking for are trends, upwards and downwards, and what eat of your food choices are doing to your levels. Accuracy is only essential if you have to inject insulin according to your meter readings - and you don't.

thank you, I am sorry, I am a bit of a dummy lol.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you, I am sorry, I am a bit of a dummy lol.

Why are you a dummy? You are already learning. Dummies are those that never learn and never ask questions! Don't worry, you will get there and you are doing everything right. Just keep asking questions and writing things down. There are no silly questions (but you may get a few silly answers sometimes!!!) :)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy my own strips, insurance copays are more than I can get them for. I use TRUEtrack meters and strips by Trividia Health. I get them online at Diabetes Wholesale. I buy 500 at a time for $100 USD. Some packages will send you a couple meters or a bunch of lancets with the strips. Accu Check strips are a LOT more.

D

Deleted Account

There are lots of things to consider if you have a choice of meter. Some of these may not be important to you and others oly become important when you realise you have a choice:
- cost of meter
- cost of test strips
- size of meter
- size of screen. This is important if you have failing eye-sight
- memory on meter. Most meters save the last week or more of results and calculate an average
- interface to download results. You can download the results to a spreadsheet to create graphs for analysis
- additional functionality on meter such as calculation of insulin dose
- what you want to test - just BG or also ketones (some do both)
- test strip packaging. Many come in tubs, some come in individual foil wraps and some in cartridges of multiple strips.

I have a Freestyle Neo. It is small and compact, measures ketones and BG (which I need because I have a pump). The test strips come in individual foils. I dislike the extra rubbish but like not having to carry a tub of strips with me - I can just put a few strips in my purse. It is easy to download results.