Goodbye

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sorry, my bad. Keep in mind that it only started deteriorating after we were all very relieved you chose to stay, albeit less intensive. Relief makes people giddy all the time, so a little push in the form of a mentioned dog was enough to make us create a zoo. It was fun, but you're right, it had no place really in your thread. I'm off now to sniff out the dog-thread! (no offence )
No offence taken - really. No one person or post was bad it was just the distraction it was making in the thread when it kept going (nom & nom & nom) This was why I wondered if there was a way of making 2 threads out of it through a simple split, Although I am not a dog person, I do not object to others loving them, its just that I wanted to discuss ways we might improve the mechanisms that run the forum.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No offence taken - really. No one person or post was bad it was just the distraction it was making in the thread when it kept going (nom & nom & nom) This was why I wondered if there was a way of making 2 threads out of it through a simple split, Although I am not a dog person, I do not object to others loving them, its just that I wanted to discuss ways we might improve the mechanisms that run the forum.
Thanks. This small problem at least was easily solved with a new thread in which all of us dog- (cat/rat/guinea-pig/rabbit/goat -)lovers can ramble about our animals. Wish all our problems were this easily solved...

Reactions: donnellysdogs
S

serenity648

I can only speak of type 2 and my own observation.

There are may types of type 2's, on different regimes. Some have medication, some do not, and there are varying types of medication too. Its complicated.

Possibly stupid suggestion alert: maybe, when someone fills in the sign up form, the type of medication could be compulsory? I know some people want to keep things private but this is a medical condition related forum, and the type of treatment had a big impact on the advice given, so perhaps the need to know outweighs the privacy issue?

I mean, if someone posts a question where the reply depends on the type of diabetes, and the medication (or not) taken, the next question is, or should be, about what meds etc the poster is using, so that info is needed anyway.

Just my thoughts. Thank you for raising this thread @Oldvatr

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. This small problem at least was easily solved with a new thread in which all of us dog- (cat/rat/guinea-pig/rabbit/goat -)lovers can ramble about our animals. Wish all our problems were this easily solved...
Wot about Lerts? I always wanted to be aLert lover. (Its my thread so I can derail myself sometimes)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can only speak of type 2 and my own observation.

There are may types of type 2's, on different regimes. Some have medication, some do not, and there are varying types of medication too. Its complicated.

Possibly stupid suggestion alert: maybe, when someone fills in the sign up form, the type of medication could be compulsory? I know some people want to keep things private but this is a medical condition related forum, and the type of treatment had a big impact on the advice given, so perhaps the need to know outweighs the privacy issue?

I mean, if someone posts a question where the reply depends on the type of diabetes, and the medication (or not) taken, the next question is, or should be, about what meds etc the poster is using, so that info is needed anyway.

Just my thoughts. Thank you for raising this thread @Oldvatr
Not a stoopid suggestion at all. However, privacy is something many take to heart as a serious NO-No. Especially Newbies who may not actually have a diagnosis, or a carer researching general info. I have tried to train myself to request this info if it is pertinent to any answer I may give but is missing from the info I have seen,

There is the additional problem in that sometimes an overhaul of the forum software / database engine scrambles this data, and recently I became ID without my knowledge.

In my case, I was T2D, but felt a need to research insulin matters since I may need to convert to ID status sometime, and I have friends taking insulin that I help out sometimes I always make it clear that I am T2 or that I am on orals or diet only so it is clear any advice I may make is not from my direct experience.

It is open to suggestions I think.

Reactions: serenity648

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Robbity, this forum needs your strength and level headedness. It would be horrible to see you go.
I recently had some issues and posted a thread titled’ I think it’s time for me to go’ and I was called an attention seeker so I think just coming and going as you choose from day to day that makes you comfortable would be the best.

I have been very put off and not posting other than the avocado silly thread. I was planning and thinking I would be coming back but I’m just going to let things play out naturally. I’ll do what I want when I want. I may start posting, I may lurk or I might leave all together.

That being said. Don’t go. Itll just give me more of a reason to go haha.

I like, even though a thread derailment, all the lovely dogs and the lightness of the posts.
Don't take it to heart - I simply meant that I'd no longer use the forum if it deteriorated to a point where I no longer considered it to be a useful tool. At which point I'd simply up sticks and sneak off silently. I certainly didn't intend it to be taken as an announcement regarding my imminent departure.

So it hasn't quite got the better of me yet, and I've always - with any forum - taken the attitude that if I don't find anything useful/interesting, or have nothing to say then I don't read or post anyway...

(I just wish that I'd shoved an avocado in my mouth :eek: and kept quiet

to save all this extra unnecessary fuss and bother....Or maybe that should have been a crab apple, as I'm definitely feelling rather crabby now!)

Robbity

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just incidentally, I have an app on my phone which is the only thing I use... I cant see signatures at all.. and I cant change mine....which is so out of date...
For me as well, I look at titles and not where they are posted... so sometimes I have stuck my two penneth in to a T2 discussion without even realising it...

Glad we have a four legged post now so I dont derail again...

I just miss people of character and genuine caring people when they can feel attacks are being made. We must recognise that we all interpret speech differently and certainly the written words. Make allowances for what things people can also have running in their own personal lives too..

Reactions: Oldvatr

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people see the signatures, others don't, but I expect we can all see the details in a person's profile where you can state which meds you are on. It is a shame that many don't fill this bit in. Newbies possibly don't know which meds they will be given at the time of arriving on the forum, but can always go back and fill it in when they do, and non-newbies need to keep it up to date..

There is also a glitch in the software that prevents some of us seeing if a Type 2 is insulin dependent under the avatar. I'm one of the ones that can't see this - all I see is Type 2. The admin staff are aware of this.

I also think most of us just use the new posts or recent posts pages to access threads rather than from the individual sub forums. I don't always notice which sub forum the thread is in, although I do try to remember to look.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't take it to heart - I simply meant that I'd no longer use the forum if it deteriorated to a point where I no longer considered it to be a useful tool. At which point I'd simply up sticks and sneak off silently. I certainly didn't intend it to be taken as an announcement regarding my imminent departure.

So it hasn't quite got the better of me yet, and I've always - with any forum - taken the attitude that if I don't find anything useful/interesting, or have nothing to say then I don't read or post anyway...

(I just wish that I'd shoved an avocado in my mouth :eek: and kept quiet

to save all this extra unnecessary fuss and bother....Or maybe that should have been a crab apple, as I'm definitely feelling rather crabby now!)

Robbity
Not a Carb apple then? Not feeling carby? I always thought crabby meant walking sideways Then I read Peanuts and it all fell into place.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having reported my own post here, it seems that although it usually applies just to the post it is tagged in, it is possible to make a more general observation in the text box that pops up, and all the button does is wake a Mod up, It is thus applicable in the situation where a post is ok for language etc, and even if it is replying in context, if it disrupts the flow by introducing another topic, then it can be reported without penalising the poster, which was my concern in this thread.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just incidentally, I have an app on my phone which is the only thing I use... I cant see signatures at all.. and I cant change mine....which is so out of date...
For me as well, I look at titles and not where they are posted... so sometimes I have stuck my two penneth in to a T2 discussion without even realising it...

Glad we have a four legged post now so I dont derail again...

I just miss people of character and genuine caring people when they can feel attacks are being made. We must recognise that we all interpret speech differently and certainly the written words. Make allowances for what things people can also have running in their own personal lives too..

DD - If your phone constricts to edit your signature information, to remove inappropriate content, then please PM me, or anther Mod with a re-draft of your signature we should be able to help you out.

Your signature is accessed via your Account Settings, should that help.

Currently, it says the following - "Let us b grateful 2 ppl who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."

Apologies for going a little off-topic, Oldvatr.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Oldvatr since seeing robbieswan's threads lately it has made me realise the forum has evolved.
It can be very potent in giving knowledge and power to loved ones who ask for help and support with newees.
I think ive been a bit selfish in wanting threads to go my way. This forum isnt about me. It's about all of us.
Diabetic soldiers marching and treading water and awaiting for the nhs to cure us or at least give the same commitment we give our health.
I can honestly say im very happy with the nhs's imput in my health lately. Very pleased. I feel hugely confident we can improve my quality of life with bariatric surgery and my health be monitored yearly thereafter. The forum gave me that confidence. I will be forever grateful.

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
I'm not sure exactly what has happened but this is still very sad news! I wish you and your wife all the best! Take care!

Reactions: Oldvatr

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still remember the advice given to me as a child. It was: 'never be afraid to rock the boat by speaking out when you believe something is wrong'. That advice moulded me into the person I am today - highly principled and utterly fearless. :) Save me a space on the naughty step, please!

mod edit: removed reference to removed post

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a Carb apple then? Not feeling carby? I always thought crabby meant walking sideways Then I read Peanuts and it all fell into place.
Carby - what's carby then when it's at home - i don't do carby....:yuck::yuck: So, no - but definitely somewhat crabby ( which in my mind equates with being a little sour like its namesake little sour apple. However, diabetes + oedema + recent flu jab + new extra blood pressure meds which can aggrevate number of diabetic issues and appear to be doing so = a great potential mixture for super crabbiness...:grumpy::banghead:

And as for walking sideways - maybe normally in diabetic terms, but at the moment definitely walking sdrawkcab... :D

You did ask!!
Robbity

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Oldvatr. I have loved your posts and wish you well. I hope you stay. I however have had enough. I'm out.
I am staying for now, and have resolved some of my issues thankfully. I am sorry you feel the need to leave us too. I have followed your story for some time now, and I know it was not an easy journey for you. I hope you wll continue to lurk on occasions and come back when you feel up to it, I wish you an easier journey too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a lot of benefits for people with type 2 by having a low carb diet. My blood sugars have dropped to almost non-diabetic levels as a result of dropping high carb foods from my diet. The problem is that many people are fixated with average blood sugar levels rather than being concerned with the peaks and troughs of blood glucose and how to manage them.

Most people with diabetes seem to die from heart disease or strokes and perhaps the leading cause here is the amount of glucose spikes the body experiences. You can have the same average glucose levels on a high carb and low carb diet if you take insulin for the extra carbs. Many type 2 patients take insulin if they eat a significant amount of carbs. There is an interesting article about glucose variance and their risks by someone with type 1 who did an experiment with 12 days low carb vs 12 days high carb to see how it affected their glucose levels. See https://diatribe.org/low-carb-vs-high-carb-my-surprising-24-day-diabetes-diet-battle

My conclusion from this is that HbA1C alone is not a good indicator of your longevity. The variance of blood glucose and reducing the frequency of hyper/hypos is probably a better indicator of long term health.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
DD - If your phone constricts to edit your signature information, to remove inappropriate content, then please PM me, or anther Mod with a re-draft of your signature we should be able to help you out.

Your signature is accessed via your Account Settings, should that help.

Currently, it says the following - "Let us b grateful 2 ppl who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."

Apologies for going a little off-topic, Oldvatr.

Oops..off topic.. sorry!! Gosh, thats a nice signature!! I forgot that! Thought it was going to say I was a happy pumper!!

Cant get into account settings from app on iphone5s.. but glad to know its an ok signature.. thankyou... brilliant.

Reactions: Salvia

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carby - what's carby then when it's at home - i don't do carby....:yuck::yuck: So, no - but definitely somewhat crabby ( which in my mind equates with being a little sour like its namesake little sour apple. However, diabetes + oedema + recent flu jab + new extra blood pressure meds which can aggrevate number of diabetic issues and appear to be doing so = a great potential mixture for super crabbiness...:grumpy::banghead:

And as for walking sideways - maybe normally in diabetic terms, but at the moment definitely walking sdrawkcab... :D

You did ask!!
Robbity
I was rather taking the pith....
It is too easy to allow sourness enter our lives, and I give you a challenge to surmount these difficulties and come back with a smile. I will continue with my own brand (feeble attempts) of humour to try to help engender some smiles, I do not apologise for that. Hope we will exchange pleasantries again sometime.

This condition can be tricky to manage on our own, and sometimes the cameraderie and support shines through, as occurred in the recent thread about @Robbieswan and his tribulations. But sometimes sh**t happens. That's life.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Oldvatr since seeing robbieswan's threads lately it has made me realise the forum has evolved.
It can be very potent in giving knowledge and power to loved ones who ask for help and support with newees.
I think ive been a bit selfish in wanting threads to go my way. This forum isnt about me. It's about all of us.
Diabetic soldiers marching and treading water and awaiting for the nhs to cure us or at least give the same commitment we give our health.
I can honestly say im very happy with the nhs's imput in my health lately. Very pleased. I feel hugely confident we can improve my quality of life with bariatric surgery and my health be monitored yearly thereafter. The forum gave me that confidence. I will be forever grateful.
I agree. It is rare I will read 6 pages of a thread in one sitting, but I did with that thread. As you say it was a very powerful demonstration of how well we can pull together and help someone in crisis. I hope Robbie gets the diagnosis he needs to get his care package in place soon to prevent these episodes. He is in the right place for that

I too am happy with my NHS care which is well supportive for me, and I have a good GP. My hospital care was more varied, but it was at Xmas time so had staffing probs, But I was well looked after in the ICU.

Reactions: derry60