DN appointment, levels everywhere.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have my three-monthly dn appointment tomorrow. Levels have been great for over a month, exept for the last two days of course, and I don't even know why. Grrrrrrrr. She'll understand (especially as I will bribe her with eggs freshly laid by my hens ), but still, she'll see the last days first. Buh. And I have a funny spot on my foot as well, probably nothing to do with diabetes but more with my new job and being on my feet all day, but still needs checking out. Double buh. And a possible bursitis in my hip, which I can't use at all with my job and which probably needs checking out as well. Triple buh. On the upside I'm mostly happy with my life and my new job, ánd I have a kitten so I don't even need the Internet to watch crazy /cute /funny cats!

Reactions: Books1

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear!
Looks like all your ailments have arrived just in time!
Good luck with your appointment.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hugs, @Antje77 - hope all goes well. Deep breaths!

KITTEN? Awwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!
:cat:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Jo_the_boat and @Snapsy !
DN very happy with the readings in my meter and the eggs, and reassured me that diabetes sometimes just gives you yucky days without explaining. GP wants to dig a bit in my foot to see if there's something in there or maybe fluid or puss, but it didn't look too alarming, so made an appointment at a convenient moment in two weeks, when I have two days off afterwards anyway to give it time to heal after her digging :) And I have to be nice to my possible bursitis and ring them if the pain in hip or foot gets worse. Kitten currently purring on my lap, so all's well!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And thanks for the hugs and likes as well, everyone!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I have to be nice to my possible bursitis and ring them if the pain in hip or foot gets worse.

I had bursitis in my hip recently. It was cured by a half-dozen visits to the physiotherapist. She massaged it with some weird instrument of torture (I was on my side and she refused to show the tool to me; but it felt "spikey"). She also gave me some home exercises to do every day including "clamshells." The bursitis went away -- a slow process but effective.

I am 60. My 92-year-old father-in-law recently had pretty much the identical kind of hip bursitis and was given the same physio treatment. It worked for him.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had bursitis in my hip recently. It was cured by a half-dozen visits to the physiotherapist. She massaged it with some weird instrument of torture (I was on my side and she refused to show the tool to me; but it felt "spikey"). She also gave me some home exercises to do every day including "clamshells." The bursitis went away -- a slow process but effective.

I am 60. My 92-year-old father-in-law recently had pretty much the identical kind of hip bursitis and was given the same physio treatment. It worked for him.
How do you do clamshells? I don't think I have the money for the physoitherapist, but maybe the clamshells work without the torture :)

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you do clamshells? I don't think I have the money for the physoitherapist, but maybe the clamshells work without the torture :)

I am in America, but to my knowledge bursitis is an acknowledged medical diagnosis and you should be able to get the physio on the NHS. On the other hand, I left the UK 40 years ago and my notions of "normal" NHS provision are probably now in the realms of fantasy. The clamshells are a useful strengthening exercise, but unfortunately the "instrument of torture" treatment was the clincher for relieving bursitis.

Clamshell: Lie on your side, with your knees somewhat bent and on top of each other. Your "good" hip on the floor, your "bad" hip on top. Using your hip muscles, slowly raise your leg, hold it for five seconds, then down again. Do this 10 times. Take a break. Make a total of three cycles (10x3, in other words).

Caution: (1) It is much better if someone personally shows you how to do this, even if it is only once. (2) I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, a layman, and have no expert knowledge of these things. I suppose it is not impossible that my suggestions could make your condition worse, not better.

Initially, and depending on how unfit you are (I was very unfit!) the clamshells may be laborious to do. You may even not be able to do a full cycle of 10. But they get much easier over time. So much so, that eventually I added a "Theraband" (a large elastic band) between by knees in order to make the exercise harder.

Suggestion: Google "clamshell exercise." Lots of info, and pictures, and even videos.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I appreciate you're no proffessional and you haven't given medical advice. You only explained how you were taught do do a clamshell exercise :) . I live in the Netherlands, and to get physiotherapie funded I should have bought an extra insurance, which I didn't do. I'll see how it goes with the bursitis, it's not too bad yet, so it might go away by itself if I take it a little easier. If it doesn't, I can still self-fund a couple of dates with a therapist, or opt for an injection from my GP. In the meantime I'll try a clamshell. If it doesn't hurt it won't do harm, and if it does I'll stop.

Reactions: Serena51