Pre diabetes & Thin

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This reminds me of an experiment that was done on mice. When they were given normal mice food and allowed to eat as much as they liked they did not gain weight. When the same food was ground up very fine, they did gain weight.

I expect that the grounding on the peanut changes the GI.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Everyone, I am back. Having reintroduced some carbs, feeling better and weight stable - BMI still around 17. HbA1c has slipped upward though - now 40. I have taken it upon myself to test my before and after meal blood sugars. Has anyone else found that PEANUT BUTTER has a disastrous affect?!! I buy it from health food shop - it is delicious - and is made in the shop without any additives. My understanding was that peanut butter had a low GI load!
I go with the theory that the amount of carbs is more important than the GI of a food. You might like to experiment with gently reducing the number of grammes of carbs you are eating daily, and at each meal.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just came across this thread @Trevenwith. A belated welcome!!!

I was diagnosed nine months ago with full-fledged T2 diabetes. I'm 60 years old and have never in my life been "overweight" according to the conventional definition (BMI) and although I had put on some weight when diagnosed, I have never got above 21.7 BMI. My morphology approaches that of a stringbean.

When I was diagnosed squarely in the diabetic range I went on a (permanent, lifetime) low-carb diet and lost 10KG and then some. This put me on the edge of the "underweight" category as measured by BMI. (As of today I am 70KG and hovering around 18.7 BMI).

We are all different, but I am tolerating this weight level. Maybe it could go even lower, although my doctor would not be happy (he complained that if I lose any more weight, I will "disappear") and I do worry about it, a little bit.

But in some ways, weight is neither here nor there. What matters is that I brought my blood glucose sharply down, to non-diabetic levels, with the low-carb diet that was prescribed by my doctor. Eventually, if "weight too low" really begins to bother me, I could increase the fat intake while remaining low-carb.

Diabetes is a nasty, chronic disease. So I'd rather be borderline-underweight and have the disease firmly reversed, and try not to worry about the weight issue.

For details about my journey, see the signature below.

Reactions: Arlmy

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BMI of 17 is very low.

Meh. Body types really vary a lot. I think the whole BMI thing is vastly over-trusted. I am 6-foot-4 and currently 18.7 BMI (70KG). I was, obviously, the same height in my 20s and most of the time, at around 60KG back then, i.e. about 16.1 BMI.

Over the past few decades I drifted up to 81KG (21.7 BMI). My waist ballooned to 40 inches. Along came the T2D diagnosis.

No way to tell whether there was any association between that beer paunch, and the T2D. As my doctor said, it could easily just be genetics. But the bizarre body shape probably didn't help.

Even though my doctor didn't think so: I was overweight. Sorry, no other way to describe it. Plus, alternative measures to the BMI (such as the "waist-to-hip" ratio) judged me to be not just overweight, but "obese" -- which may sound ridiculous, but we really are all different. I had this big "beer belly" on an otherwise stick-thin frame with the ribs showing.

Nine months later, the ribs are still showing, the body is almost the same except the beer belly is gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kay321

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meh. Body types really vary a lot. I think the whole BMI thing is vastly over-trusted. I am 6-foot-4 and currently 18.7 BMI (70KG). I was, obviously, the same height in my 20s and most of the time, at around 60KG back then, i.e. about 16.1 BMI.

Over the past few decades I drifted up to 81KG (21.7 BMI). My waist ballooned to 40 inches. Along came the T2D diagnosis.

No way to tell whether there was any association between that beer paunch, and the T2D. As my doctor said, it could easily just be genetics. But the bizarre body shape probably didn't help.

Even though my doctor didn't think so: I was overweight. Sorry, no other way to describe it. Plus, alternative measures to the BMI (such as the "waist-to-hip" ratio) judged me to be not just overweight, but "obese" -- which may sound ridiculous, but we really are all different. I had this big "beer belly" on an otherwise stick-thin frame with the ribs showing.

Nine months later, the ribs are still showing, the body is almost the same except the beer belly is gone.
There is a theory, not sure if its now fact, that a beer belly is an early indicator of insulin resistance leading to type 2, not a cause of type 2.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a theory, not sure if its now fact, that a beer belly is an early indicator of insulin resistance leading to type 2, not a cause of type 2.

Interesting. As I said, the causation is obscure. Ever since I learned more about diabetes, I have been dubious about any solid causation: overweight => diabetes. It could easily be the other way around.

I did read, in several places, that for certain ethnic groups (Asians for instance) the BMI is an unreliable indicator of diabetes risk and that waist size could be more reliable. I am not Asian, nor a member of the ethnic groups in the list, but this is still interesting.

Edit to add: I also read somewhere that the belly fat (irrespective of BMI or body shape) is the big factor in stressing the pancreas, although that doesn't necessarily align with the insulin-resistance factor since those are two different things.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had this big "beer belly" on an otherwise stick-thin frame with the ribs showing.

Nine months later, the ribs are still showing, the body is almost the same except the beer belly is gone

..... erm ..., you got something to tell us, Grateful?? :eek: :D:D:D

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
..... erm ..., you got something to tell us, Grateful?? :eek: :D:D:D

I must be really thick this morning and don't "get" your post. Perhaps you feel this is "too much information"? Or more likely you just think I'm a boring windbag. My Funny Bone must be on the blink.

I did stop drinking beer, which was a 3-pint-a-day habit. Now just wine, in moderation.:)

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Grateful, Salvia was jokingly suggesting that you were pregnant!!

Gosh I am dim this morning. Or, I'm just a Male Chauvinist Pig who cannot make subtle neuronal connections. Time for another cup of coffee. That is funny!:)

How I wish my GP, Dr. K, had told me I was a rare case of male pregnancy. So much better than T2D although a bit embarrassing to discuss with relatives.:D

Reactions: Salvia

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an equator rather than a waist - now it is a foot or more smaller and I can reach into the bottom shelf of the fridge.
I have had three sets of clothes in the last year, in smaller sizes, as I shrank down and they started falling off.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh I am dim this morning. Or, I'm just a Male Chauvinist Pig who cannot make subtle neuronal connections. Time for another cup of coffee. That is funny!:)

How I wish my GP, Dr. K, had told me I was a rare case of male pregnancy. So much better than T2D although a bit embarrassing to discuss with relatives.:D

Sorry, @Grateful, on reflection my post was a bit obscure, particularly as it was completely off-track with your train of thought, plus thinking about differences in 'sense of humour' between nations - and it was a female 'thing'. :sorry:
My excuse is, it was early hours of this morning (couldn't sleep because of a v. heavy cold) plus your description of a big belly on a stick-thin frame, that disappeared after nine months, reminded me of a young lass in my office, when I was still at work. She was also a 'strip of wind', stick thin, but when she became pregnant, her belly swelled up almost from the start and stayed that way throughout the nine months. It looked as if she had just swallowed an orange whole! There was no other fat on her at all. After the baby was born, she went back to being thin again, as if nothing had happened - no belly, no residual fat to work off, nothing. The baby was a gorgeous, healthy eight-pounder. She was the envy of every woman in the place.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, @Grateful, on reflection my post was a bit obscure, particularly as it was completely off-track with your train of thought, plus thinking about differences in 'sense of humour' between nations - and it was a female 'thing'. :sorry:

I really should have "got" your joke especially because of my reference to nine months, which happens to be the time passed since my diagnosis!

By the way I am (very) British myself, but have lived outside the UK most of my life (apart from secondary school and university in the UK) and was born and spent my early years in France, where much of my family still lives. Parents British, and all four grandparents UK-born and a British lineage all the way back to the Norman Conquest when we came over with those pesky invaders. My wife is American and we've lived in the States for the part 18 years.

Confusingly, I use American spelling and punctuation. This is because I spent a long time as a writer and editor for a large American news agency so it became pretty engrained. I am capable of reverting to UK spelling/usage but laziness gets in the way.

Reactions: Salvia