C section for first child?

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I know I'll have to have a c section when I have my first baby. (I'm not pregnant, no where near, thank god, not ready just yet!!!)
But I just want to know, why? I've read a few things as to why but I'm a little confused.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Who has told you that? Do you have any conditions other than diabetes? I was induced and just pushed...

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Who has told you that? Do you have any conditions other than diabetes? I was induced and just pushed...

My diabetic team. Have been telling me it for ages now. I've had problems with my diabetes in the past, and currently on lisinopril as my kidneys are leaking protein :S

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well, worry about it when you get there but lots of us diabetic women get away without one. It will depend on your body at the time.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Chloesnavy Yes you will be induced but it's not a definite yes to having a c-section, I was induced early and yes I ended up having a c-section but only because it took 3 days and baby had turned, so it was considered best for baby to have a one. Lots of women go without though.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don’t have to have anything.
It’s entirely your choice what you do with your body and your baby after they have offered you their opinion on current, relevant up to date evidence and support you in understanding the risks and benefits.

HCP’s are not Gods and cannot dictate to you.

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter in law has been told that her baby will need to be delivered by c section at least twice if not three times - definitely the last one, absolutely no option - she has had 4 normal births. No long labours not even a forceps delivery.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's looking obvious from these comments that when it comes to stuff like this coming from various healthcare personnel "everybody's an expert". When the fact is none of them will likely be involved in the delivery of your baby in any way shape or form. Right?

Reactions: Levy and Juicyj

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And with the last one - the little minx was lying transversely right up to my daughter in law going into hospital a few days before the birth. Baby still moving around but mostly transverse when inspected.
They kept looking - still transverse. C section all booked
The senior midwife came in and took a look - one hand each side and an expert push or two - baby head down, normal birth early next morning.
There's qualifications, and then there's experience, you hope for both, but when push comes to shove, experience every time.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And with the last one - the little minx was lying transversely right up to my daughter in law going into hospital a few days before the birth. Baby still moving around but mostly transverse when inspected.
They kept looking - still transverse. C section all booked
The senior midwife came in and took a look - one hand each side and an expert push or two - baby head down, normal birth early next morning.
There's qualifications, and then there's experience, you hope for both, but when push comes to shove, experience every time.
Lol... I just had my baby and he was turning in the consultants hands when they went to check the position! He was transverse in the 37 week scan which meant I was kept in just in case waters broke etc.. (not fun) made the sonographer scream when he kicked her. Was nicknamed little wiggler and all midwives etc said never saw a baby moving like that... was prepared for an emergency c-section just in during labour he came out of head down or if they were unable to get him head down... so they manually pulled his head down into place and broke my waters ... little wiggler came out with both hands above his head!!! And only 30 minute labour (poor student midwife who was on her own almost missed it as came back to him half out!):D
That was a story and a half...

Any way unless they say there is a problem with your hips it may be they are just advising you of a possibility which they tell every diabetic mum to be... unless there is more info the op is missing out, it really seems strange that they would push for a c-section without first having a scan (showing an extra large baby) or having a comparison delivery!?!
Surely when and if op gets pregnant they will monitor the pregnancy, her Bgl as well as protein (which they do for every diabetic) and make an informed decision from there, or maybe they are worried about another medical condition that hasn't been disclosed... or op has misunderstood doctors!
To the op i would go back and clarify with the doctors as to why you would have to have a c-section and if the advice is because you are diabetic I would go to get a second opinion from another doctor/consultant... the advice they have given you seems odd and contrary to the norm...

Reactions: Juicyj

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Have they definitely said csec? With my pre-conception appointment they said the baby had to be out by a certain date and I assumed it meant cs but it didn't. It meant induction and if that failed then cs. My first was an emergency cs but my others have all been "natural". What is the cs rate of your hospital? Are you under the care of a hospital with a combined obstetric and diabetic team?

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can’t plan how you’re going to give birth. Especially since you’re not pregnant and they don’t know how your pregnancy will be (how can they?!)

I know diabetic women who have had natural births and diabetic women who have had c-sections.

I went from them saying they would let me go natural, to them saying I’ll be induced, to them booking me in to have a section, to my waters breaking early at home and having the option to have her naturally which ended in an emergency section.

My point is, you can not know what’s going to happen. No one can.
Have a rough idea of what you’d like so you have an idea in your head but birth plans etc aren’t worth the paper they’re written on.

It doesn’t matter how your baby gets into this world as long as it gets here safely.

Good luck, I’m now trying to sort out my BG ready for baby 2 so sections cant be that bad if I’m prepared to do it again ;)

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I only had a section on my second and that was because of failure to progress I never got past 1cm dilated so section was nothing to do with my diabetes.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't have a section - I was induced 2 weeks' early. As previous posters have said - they can't tell you that for definite until they monitor your pregnancy.