What morning bloods do you strive for ?

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been doing some research on morning bloods.
Your body does a glucose dump to get you charged for the day ahead.

My doctor wants to see my morning / fasting bloods below 5.5 mmol/l but I don't think this is correct.

My bloods this morning was 5.8 and my better half (non diabetic) was 5.7.
She has agreed to test in the morning for the rest of this week. If you are interested I will post the comparisons.

What's your blood sugar goal in the morning, what advice have you been given?

Last edited:

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
None, that I can remember.
I'm happy if it is around 5.0, don't know why.
My average is 5.2

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up measuring in the morning as the results were rather random. Do I measure when my eyes open, when I have just got up, when I have showered and dressed, it seems to make a difference. My doctor just gave me 3 months to improve my HbA1c with diet, no actual target. After 3 months it was down to 42 so he marked me as "well controlled" and I haven't seen him again. I get the regular checks by the DN but no targets, just "keep doing whatever you are doing".

Reactions: Glenmac and derry60

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I no longer take many fbg readings as I suffer with disturbed sleep and high readings were making me anxious. On the rare mornings I wake having slept comparatively well my readings hover around 6. No one has given me a target fasting number. Remember though that liver dumps can happen at any time of the day.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I sleep well (touch wood) but I do always get a morning liver dump which is made worse depending on if and what I've snacked on after dinner the night before.

If I don't snack at all and my dinner was lowish carb then my FBGs will be under 6.

I agree with @Guzzler than liver dumps can happen at any time of the day - I quite often get one in the two hours leading up to dinner if I've been fasting that day. (skipping breakfast and lunch).

Reactions: grante

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My morning readings can be all over the place, but having said that on average they are between 5 -6, but I have a liver dump in the early hours of the mornings and in the late afternoon bizarrely, but I like to be different.

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I do a FBG it is usually around 0400/0430 & between 5.5/6 however when I then do My Pre Breakfast I ind it has usually gone up some what, ( not high enough to worry) so my liver dump is usually around 0600/0630 after that all BG's seem pretty good

Reactions: grante and hankjam

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been doing some research on morning bloods.
Your body does a glucose dump to get you charged for the day ahead.

My doctor wants to see my morning / fasting bloods below 5.5 mmol/l but I don't think this is correct.

My bloods this morning was 5.8 and my better half (non diabete) was 5.7.
She has agreed to test in the morning for the rest of this week. If you are interested I will post the comparisons.

What's your blood sugar goal in the morning, what advice have you been given?

I'm another that believes morning readings are a waste of strips. I cannot believe your doctor has given you a target for them. My surgery doesn't even do fasting blood glucose tests anymore.

Far more important and by a long way are the post meal levels.

Having said all that, I do still take mine out of pure habit, and like them to be in the low 5s. but don't worry if they aren't.

Reactions: miszu and grante

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't aim for any particular level as I don't seem to have any way of controlling it. I've tried all the suggestions on this site and none work for me. It has settled at around 7ish when first tested in the morning and may to high 7 low 8 or it may fall to mid 5s after morning coffee. It falls from there towards 5 before lunch.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who doesn't strive for any - it's something I don't have ay actual direct control over, so I let my liver decide what it thinks I may need. I am more interested in the levels I can control via my diet and if I'm managing these well enough long term, my fasting levels will tend to reflect this.

Robbity

PS GP and nurse judge me by my HbA1c levels, and are happy that I'm "well controlled"...

Reactions: grante and Glenmac

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm another who doesn't strive for any - it's something I don't have ay actual direct control over, so I let my liver decide what it thinks I may need. I am more interested in the levels I can control via my diet and if I'm managing these well enough long term, my fasting levels will tend to reflect this.

Robbity

PS GP and nurse judge me by my HbA1c levels, and are happy that I'm "well controlled"...

Yep, that sums it up my HBa1c levels are at pre diabetic levels and I have reduced my medication considerably over the last few months.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been reading some t2 threads to find out more about their fbg. My t2 grandmas lately between 6-7.5 in the mornings. I think it should be better under 6 but I see many says here that fbg is not that important..? Still Im curious if I should be worried. But during the day shes between 5-6.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In terms of FBGs i get what i am given. I dont think i've ever seen a 5. 6s most of the time, 7s occasionally.
This last few days i've had 8s, but I am coughing, so it is probably because I'm fighting off a virus.

Food doesnt seem to affect it much, but weekend/weekday stress levels and waking times make a huge difference.

Consequently i don't waste the strips on monitoring it. Just mentally note the number when I (sporadically) use a Libre sensor.

Reactions: Glenmac and grante

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've taken a slightly different tack from some previous posters in that I found I was eating the same foods, nearly to the day and getting the same numbers before and after, so decided to cut back and just test my FBG and use this as indicator of my overall status. My recent HbA1c would suggest that things appear to be in line.
I would say that my Sunday and Monday FBG tend to be slightly raised, which probably reflects a slightly different diet of the weekend from the rest of the week.
If my FBG do show signs of change then it will be back to testing before and after eating, that's for sure.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Mine is usually between 5.3 to 5.6 when first waking up. During the day when I don't eat I can be 5.5 depends if I have been busy doing my housework then can go to 5.7 but quickly goes down again. Not sure if this sounds daft, but just before I go to bed I have a sugar free jelly with some cream on top of the pot, did this last night and my BG was 5.2 this morning. Oh has anybody tried a little cream on top of blackcurrant jelly with a tiny sprinkle of no sugar Coco powder? It tastes very much like Black Forest Gataue.. and did not raise my BG at all

Reactions: grante and Glenmac