Confused after 1st Diabetic Nurse appointment

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The nurses told us that their dietitian 'likes and recommends' baked beans and the sauce they're in isn't too high in sugar.
Yet another good reason (if one were needed) to avoid dieticians...

SugarSpike

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Dieticians are pointless to me now. Hopefully this will change is the not too distant future.
I really can't believe they are still dishing out such devastating advice.
Its very hard to have to go against their advice and its terrible that people like myself are having to do things alone and without professional support.

Reactions: woodywhippet61

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Actually I'm not sure that DN's do see that their advice doesn't work. I think that when they see their patients getting worse they just blame the patients and think that it is their fault. After all the advice as we've all been told so many times on here is based on scientific evidence whereas we might all know that low carb works .....................

Some really do know that the NHS script does not work. Privately my DN agreed that lowering carb intake was a better choice but remember, this is her job her livelihood and only the brave among HCPs are ready to go against guidelines. There are some who who will log info and think no more of it and I am sure there must be those who blame the patient but we cannot and should not make sweeping generalisations.

Jac25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all, I will stick with LCHF and take the NHS advice with a large pinch of salt. From the sound of some of your experiences, I guess I should consider myself lucky that I wasn't told I could eat Christmas cake, Christmas pudding and mince pies!

I appreciate the time you have taken to reassure me - many thanks

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I told my DN I was following a low carb diet, and she didn't seem to take any notice. Later in the same conversation she told me if I felt my blood sugar was low I should eat a slice of bread or a banana. I don't think she even knows what a carbohydrate is :banghead::banghead::banghead: I don't need to add that I ignored her, do I???

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great to see you have met the low carb mob.

Do regularly measure your glucose response to see how you are progress....use the glucose meter wisely to guide and measure your progress.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I told my DN I was following a low carb diet, and she didn't seem to take any notice. Later in the same conversation she told me if I felt my blood sugar was low I should eat a slice of bread or a banana. I don't think she even knows what a carbohydrate is :banghead::banghead::banghead: I don't need to add that I ignored her, do I???

After mine told me that I was no longer considered diabetic due to my blood test results and that my other tests had all come back normal, I pointed out that it was because I'd been following a low carb diet. She was genuinely very pleased for me. Her parting comment was to remember to eat more fruit. I said that I'd think about it. She is well meaning, very nice and just trying to make sure that I was eating a healthy diet.

Reactions: Buttons11

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Jac, you are not confused: you are correct.
Smile, nod and ignore: you clearly see which parts of the advice were sensible and which were just plain daft, so I think you should be on the right track.

Reactions: woodywhippet61