Ladies things (sorry blokes!)

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone else’s visit from Mother Nature make your bloods run high?
Mine are higher the week before and the actual week I’m on.

What’s the solution??

Temp basal?

D

Deleted Account

Yes - both questions.
In fact, I am not that regular but since having diabetes, I have been far more accurate with my predicted start date thanks to the higher BG for a week before.
I have always managed this with a high basal. When I was injecting, I just injected more Lantus. It is a bit more effort to continuously add a temp basal. I have read that some pumps allow multiple basal programs that you can pick a choose between. For example, if you work on shifts you can have a night and day shift basal program. So I guess there is no reason why you can't have an "on" and "off" program.

Reactions: claire1991

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else’s visit from Mother Nature make your bloods run high?
Mine are higher the week before and the actual week I’m on.

What’s the solution??

Temp basal?

Though no visits from Mother Nature the last few years, hormones still crazy. I have a few days of highs and either before or after a few days of lows. So I either eat or inject more. No way for me to predict what’s going on except sugars.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep. Apparently the hormones make you more insulin resistant so experimenting with the basal doses help bring it back into range. And its worse if you aren't on hormonal contraception.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yes @claire1991 sadly hormones do interact with insulin resistance so for about a week before I know I am due on I have to increase my insulin. Very frustrating...

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes every dame month, also when it's hot, etc all I done was check BG more often and jab when high such funny, nolonger monthlys but the problem still there best of luck I made it through, it's all about BG, also two kids also now 53

Reactions: Dodo and claire1991

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep. My BG goes extreme for those times. Last month it was so bad that not once I gave my usual bolus and ate nothing and my BG was still around 6.5-7. Tho Im trying to figure out some better solutions for this month, I dont take any basal just boluses before meals.

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yup I have a different basal rate set on my pump for this very reason

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well, for me it worked the other way round: when I had periods, my BG was always running low. It was not uncommon to experience as much as 5 or six hypos a day… not pleasant!
Now I have outgrown all visits from Mother Nature, but BG is still on the low side on the days I used to welcome that lady… funny, isn't it?

Reactions: Crystalwand

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This may be the answer to my questions!! Started a few days ago and have been having to give monster correction doses (for me) to keep my bg anywhere near target. As I have the implant I haven't really had periods for six or so years so I've forgotten everything that can happen. Urgh. I think I will need to increase my day time basal as the nighttime seems to be fine.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely agree, hormones are a nightmare. I tend to be high the week before then often much lower when on/not taking the pill.
Don't know about anyone else but my appetite and general mood changes dramatically too. I just want to eat everything!!!

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely agree, hormones are a nightmare. I tend to be high the week before then often much lower when on/not taking the pill.
Don't know about anyone else but my appetite and general mood changes dramatically too. I just want to eat everything!!!

I think about appetite it changes for non diabetic woman too. My colleague always says during that week that she could eat an army sized meal.

Reactions: mytype1.life