Newly diagnosed, scared and confused

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat butternut squash but some here will not eat it saying that is to high in carbs

Maybe they've tested their bgl's and found that it doesn't suit them. Clearly it suits you and that is the important point. Test and we'll find out what we can eat and what we can't. IMO it's a bit daft ruling something out from eating if it doesn't cause our bgl's to go beyond what we want them to.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this Rachox. But you know why I had that pizza crave? Because I looked at that link . Pizza with almond flour? no no I love the strong white flour for pizza base.. Ah, now I have a question for you : can I use gluten free flour? Is gluten free good for diabetes?

I think that I can remember someone on here saying that they've found that it's better. The only way that you'll know if it suits you is by testing.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
pm for example? Can I have a slice of say papaya after a meal? I feel distraught I can't have pizza ever again!! So all I can eat is just meat fish and some vegs?? I walk up and down the stairs for 15' an hour after a meal, is it a right thing to do?? I am going to be done now but will come back tomorrow with tones more of questions..
If you leave out everything that others have said they can't eat then yes all you will eat is meat fish and some vegetables. It doesn't work like that you have to find out about you personally and it does not matter what others can or can't eat it is about what you can eat and you find that out by trial and error. Just cut the starchy carbs like rice pasta bread potatoes and sugar stuff to start with that may be all you need to do We are all so different so low carb is different for everyone. I just wonder why you are walking up and down the stairs after you eat wouldn't it be more enjoyable to go for a walk if you feel you must have exercise after eating. I think this thread has given you to much information over load and you are stressing out about it just as you are about testing your blood don't do it until you feel you are ready.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Red_river_

Part of the reason you are confused and getting upset is because you don't know what you can eat, what you shouldn't eat, and how much to eat. You will hear many people say they can eat sweet potato, and many who say they can't. Some people can mange 100g carbs a day. Some people can only manage 20g carbs a day. How do they know this? They test! Personally, I can manage a couple of small white potatoes (new boiled or roasted) or half a dozen chips. I know this because I test, test, test. It is the only way to conquer this UNLESS you cut out all the worst culprits completely (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereals, white/brown flour) and you will never know if you have deprived yourself of something!!

If you buy an Accu Chek Fastclix lancet device for doing the finger pricking, you don't see any needles at all. They are hidden inside a plastic drum. You can use this device with any sort of meter. It doesn't have to be an Accu Chek one.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Pinkorchid until her last sentence.

Testing saved my sanity. So I'd start today, in fact now. Once I started to SEE what my blood glucose levels were and how the foods that I ate affected them my stress levels dropped. I had started to get control back over my life. I started to understand my body. I had, oh I can eat that, moments and I had, I'm never eating that again, moments. But I wasn't trying to take in 101 things other people were telling me to do. I was sorting it out for myself. In the early days I ate simple meals as in meat and veg or fish and salad. I made sure that I didn't drink anything with sugar in it. I told myself that it was just an experiment and if it didn't work I'd rethink at that point. I lived for the moment and on a daily basis hoping that I could keep going for 3 months (that was the time that I set myself). After all what's 3 months of not eating pizza, or pasta etc. Really it's nothing in a lifetime.

Reactions: Prem51

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Red_river_

Part of the reason you are confused and getting upset is because you don't know what you can eat, what you shouldn't eat, and how much to eat. You will hear many people say they can eat sweet potato, and many who say they can't. Some people can mange 100g carbs a day. Some people can only manage 20g carbs a day. How do they know this? They test! Personally, I can manage a couple of small white potatoes (new boiled or roasted) or half a dozen chips. I know this because I test, test, test. It is the only way to conquer this UNLESS you cut out all the worst culprits completely (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereals, white/brown flour) and you will never know if you have deprived yourself of something!!

If you buy an Accu Chek Fastclix lancet device for doing the finger pricking, you don't see any needles at all. They are hidden inside a plastic drum. You can use this device with any sort of meter. It doesn't have to be an Accu Chek one.
You are right. Just as I think I have decided ( or very nearly there) to buy a meter. One week yesterday I since I was diagnosed and I almost cut out all bread, rice an pasta, and I always have this light headache. I was thinking cut out carbs totally all of a sudden might do my body no good as it have been used to lots of carbs. So maybe I take it slowly and test and see.. Thank you for suggesting Accu Chek I will have a look at the weekend.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are right. Just as I think I have decided ( or very nearly there) to buy a meter. One week yesterday I since I was diagnosed and I almost cut out all bread, rice an pasta, and I always have this light headache. I was thinking cut out carbs totally all of a sudden might do my body no good as it have been used to lots of carbs. So maybe I take it slowly and test and see.. Thank you for suggesting Accu Chek I will have a look at the weekend.

Good. Bite the bullet and get that meter. It will become your best friend.

Cutting out carbs drastically and quickly can give you withdrawal symptoms that are a little like flu symptoms. It is known as carb flu. It does pass. I didn't go down that route, I started on about 120g carbs a day and reduced bit by bit, learning from what my meter and food diary told me. I didn't have any carb flu, nor did I get any cravings. It just took me a bit longer to get there! How you do it is up to you, but do learn from the meter and be prepared to having to keep reducing the carbs.

Reactions: Grannypat

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Pinkorchid until her last sentence.

I said that about testing because Red River is obviously very stressed about the whole thing at the moment including testing and does not know what to do for the best Just cutting out the obvious starchy foods for a while will give her time to take it all in

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you leave out everything that others have said they can't eat then yes all you will eat is meat fish and some vegetables. It doesn't work like that you have to find out about you personally and it does not matter what others can or can't eat it is about what you can eat and you find that out by trial and error. Just cut the starchy carbs like rice pasta bread potatoes and sugar stuff to start with that may be all you need to do We are all so different so low carb is different for everyone. I just wonder why you are walking up and down the stairs after you eat wouldn't it be more enjoyable to go for a walk if you feel you must have exercise after eating. I think this thread has given you to much information over load and you are stressing out about it just as you are about testing your blood don't do it until you feel you are ready.
You are right, too much information can stressed one out.. any everybody I see different.. I am about to cook dinner and thinking of cooking some potato, just one each... I am so used to lots of carbs and cut it out totally is so difficult, and upsetting too. I walk up and down stair after meal because I read somewhere that say it I still advisable for PWD to have a walk after meal. It's dark and cold outside so I choose to " walk in door". I wonder anybody does it? Is it a necessity?

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that I can remember someone on here saying that they've found that it's better. The only way that you'll know if it suits you is by testing.
Yes I saw that too, somebody commented about the pizza. You haven't told me whether gluten free flour is okay for PWD?

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Red_river_ All this is confusing at first and takes a bit of time to get to grips with.

When buying foods look for the total Carbohydrate content, try to get foods with less than 5 gms or less of carbohydrates per 100 gms - ie 5% or less.

NHS guidelines are that a 'portion' is a serving no bigger than the size of your fist.

Morning fbgs are often higher because of 'Dawn Phenomenon' where your liver dumps stored glucose into your blood as you wake to give you energy to get going. It is quite common and non-diabetics can get it too.
Thank you for answering my questions Prem51. That's very helpful. Can you please advice, if I am gonna have one meal with little carbs a day, when will be best? I guess not breakfast as bg is already high then?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I saw that too, somebody commented about the pizza. You haven't told me whether gluten free flour is okay for PWD?

Any sort of grain based flour is not a wise idea. Gluten free makes no difference at all. No white or brown flour is advisable. Nut based flours are popular on this forum. (almond flour for example)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for answering my questions Prem51. That's very helpful. Can you please advice, if I am gonna have one meal with little carbs a day, when will be best? I guess not breakfast as bg is already high then?

Breakfast is the worst time to eat carbs. Later in the day (evening meal) is normally the best providing you don't eat very late.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A quick look on Tesco dot com says that gluten free flour has more carbs than normal flour :eek:

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is just nonsense - it is not a case of allowing or portions being an amount of carbs - you really need to know how high your blood glucose is - you are driving blind at the moment.
You can eat meat fish shellfish, eggs some cheese, as they are not carbs. You can then chose from low carb foods as a basic diet - salads, mushrooms, sweet peppers, celery - loads of different foods are 'allowable' depending on how many you can tolerate at any one time. I stick to 10 percent carbs or less for my usual foods - but you can make all sorts of foods such as pizza from various different things - just not bread as it is so high carb. There are loads of recipes for low carb versions of foods.
I will look into getting a meter this weekend as I now realised that it I should a must, that I am driving blind at the moment like you said. I've been reading too much about diabetes and got drown in the sea of different information. It has been only a week today since I was diagnosed and I guess I am still emotionally unstable, and I had been trying too hard.. Nevertheless I do find it very hard to think of what to have, that I will enjoy..

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast is the worst time to eat carbs. Later in the day (evening meal) is normally the best providing you don't eat very late.
Ah, thank you!! I a must gonna cook a few potato for tonight then. Haven't had any for a week!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What!!!??? No!!!!

It is a long learning curve, and you are at one end of it right now. Sit back, enjoy your weekend, take some deep breaths. This is not a sprint. You will get there, no need to rush. :)