Goodbye

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was rather taking the pith....
Oh dear, and I was just feeling a little pithed off...:D and unable to do all {low carb} sweetness and light today!
It gets a little disheartening when evey time I think things are going well something beyond my control will come along and trip me up. However I do realise that I am lot better off healthwise than some of our other members and that does actually keep things in perspective for me most of the time. And at least I'm not getting called a mentally disturbed exhibitionist in need of psychiatric help if I have a bit of a vent here.

(And at risk of derailing the thread again...) Yours sincerely, Mrs Grumpy Cat

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are a lot of benefits for people with type 2 by having a low carb diet. My blood sugars have dropped to almost non-diabetic levels as a result of dropping high carb foods from my diet. The problem is that many people are fixated with average blood sugar levels rather than being concerned with the peaks and troughs of blood glucose and how to manage them.

Most people with diabetes seem to die from heart disease or strokes and perhaps the leading cause here is the amount of glucose spikes the body experiences. You can have the same average glucose levels on a high carb and low carb diet if you take insulin for the extra carbs. Many type 2 patients take insulin if they eat a significant amount of carbs. There is an interesting article about glucose variance and their risks by someone with type 1 who did an experiment with 12 days low carb vs 12 days high carb to see how it affected their glucose levels. See https://diatribe.org/low-carb-vs-high-carb-my-surprising-24-day-diabetes-diet-battle

My conclusion from this is that HbA1C alone is not a good indicator of your longevity. The variance of blood glucose and reducing the frequency of hyper/hypos is probably a better indicator of long term health.
Here is some food for thought:
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/glycosylation/

Although it does not really discuss peaks and troughs in bgl levels, it seems that the effect of short spikes has almost zero effect on HbA1c. There is a discussion on possible harmful pathways, and how thesw might be mitigated, but again they are discussed long term, and short term effects due to peaks is not discussed. Interesting comments about Vit C and ALA but this is only commentary and may be POV not fact. The article reads like a blog, so not to be taken as gospel

Interesting comment in the article seems to imply that proteins also get glycated, and this reduces their effectiveness directly eg in skin and collagen, leading to AGE by products. Again the article does not give timings for that process to occur. There is an article describing AGE products and their kinectivity, but is it an article that needs a degree in biology to understand and is way above my paygrade so I am not linking to it here.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If anyone reaches this far, then I have decided to stay for the moment. The messgages that this Forum gives, and the hope and support it engenders is way beyond the individual members, be they Mods or Users alike. The sum is certainly greater than the parts, and I will continue to put my pennorth in.

It is probable that I will from time to time cause upset, but then that is my way. I believe in blunt speaking on occasions. Sorry to see others decide to leave, but then that is a choice open to all of us. On the other hand. a decision to stay may get disputed, but then thats Life and as with parliament, there will be periodic elections to make life interesting.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If anyone reaches this far, then I have decided to stay for the moment. The messgages that this Forum gives, and the hope and support it engenders is way beyond the individual members, be they Mods or Users alike. The sum is certainly greater than the parts, and I will continue to put my pennorth in.

It is probable that I will from time to time cause upset, but then that is my way. I believe in blunt speaking on occasions. Sorry to see others decide to leave, but then that is a choice open to all of us. On the other hand. a decision to stay may get disputed, but then thats Life and as with parliament, there will be periodic elections to make life interesting.
Good.
Just need @zand to stay now?

Like I've always said "the forum is for everyone, no matter how we speak (except from abuse, of course)".
Diabetic soldiers together....fighting one enemy. Early death!
Thank you for staying @Oldvatr :) :) :)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
There are a lot of benefits for people with type 2 by having a low carb diet. My blood sugars have dropped to almost non-diabetic levels as a result of dropping high carb foods from my diet. The problem is that many people are fixated with average blood sugar levels rather than being concerned with the peaks and troughs of blood glucose and how to manage them.

Most people with diabetes seem to die from heart disease or strokes and perhaps the leading cause here is the amount of glucose spikes the body experiences. You can have the same average glucose levels on a high carb and low carb diet if you take insulin for the extra carbs. Many type 2 patients take insulin if they eat a significant amount of carbs. There is an interesting article about glucose variance and their risks by someone with type 1 who did an experiment with 12 days low carb vs 12 days high carb to see how it affected their glucose levels. See https://diatribe.org/low-carb-vs-high-carb-my-surprising-24-day-diabetes-diet-battle

My conclusion from this is that HbA1C alone is not a good indicator of your longevity. The variance of blood glucose and reducing the frequency of hyper/hypos is probably a better indicator of long-term health.
Well, the conclusion of this link is... Low carb is best. She states that it may not be for everyone but for her, she is sticking to low carb as the chart clearly shows fewer spikes. Going by what I am learning many many people are now going low carb with far greater success than high carbs

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Possibly stupid suggestion alert: maybe, when someone fills in the sign up form, the type of medication could be compulsory? I know some people want to keep things private but this is a medical condition related forum, and the type of treatment had a big impact on the advice given, so perhaps the need to know outweighs the privacy issue?
I don't know if it's a good idea because people maybe don'like to share these info or forget to update the data after a change.
Especially for a confused newcomer. If explained why knowing the medication is important it is also educational. And stops some boilerplate answers that some formers are writing.
And I am not referencing the official one.

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Forums are odd places. We do not know the people we share our lives with, but get upset over a simple sentence that can often be read in a way that was not intended by the writer.

I try and not upset anyone. But I know that I have done that recently. It was not my intention but it happened anyway. However, I can choose to be upset by something said on a forum or I can choose to ignore it. Mostly, I choose to ignore it. I am quite capable of reading any advice given on here ( or any where else) and deciding to use it or not. If I feel strongly about a statement I will challenge it. But just feeling offended seems to me to be a bit pointless. This is a forum run by a for profit company and populated by ordinary people with diabetes. I knew that when I joined but maybe some sort of warning should be sent when joining that none of us can give individual medical advice.

We are all adults. If you dont like the advice given, dont use it.
If you disagree with any statement, say so and say why.
If someone is intentionally rude that is unacceptable and should be reported.
Nobody should feel that they are unwelcome or should leave just because they disagree with someone.
Obey the forum.rules.

On the issue of insulin users. I dont post on these threads at all, unless its just to give general advice ( eg, keep a diary) or give a virtual hug. I dont know much about insulin, and what I did know is 15 years out of date. So will let insulin users handle that and from I see the advice is pretty good.

To the op. Please dont be gone too long. I hope your wife is not too poorly and you will soon be able to come back. I always found your posts useful and thoughtful and I thank you for that.x
Love what you said, don't like don't use simple, everyone is different, life is to short to be offended, thanks again

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the conclusion of this link is... Low carb is best. She states that it may not be for everyone but for her, she is sticking to low carb as the chart clearly shows fewer spikes. Going by what I am learning many many people are now going low carb with far greater success than high carbs

I wear a 24/7 lbre freestyle. That means I can see my blood sugars rising when I eat carbs ( for me rice and toast is the worse. from a starting point of say 4.5 mmol I can expect a rise upto 11 within an hour of eating the carb and whilst it may come back down within the following hour to something more acceptable, I can tell that the excess sugars are still sloshing round in my system for anything upto two / three days. Garlic bread in a meal out will cause a spike that evening AND a rise in dawn phenonema the following days AND far more volatility all day long for the the next two days. The difference is frankly astonishing !

Reactions: dbr10