My Hubby thinks I have an online boyfriend!!

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone! Lindijanice here - a newcomer, T2 for past 16 years, Metformin 1000 mg/ 2x day. Did I get your interest with my title?!! I have been spending so much time soaking up all I possibly can on this Forum, that I no longer sit for hours in the evening watching TV with him! If you all qualify for 'boyfriend' status, then I think I picked an awesome one! I have learned more and been more challenged re: getting my diabetes under control so it no longer controls me since coming to the Forum than I have been in the last 16 years - November is my "anniversary" month for diagnosis.

Have to admit to denial, anger, ignoring, some effort when I felt like it...... Had my blood drawn yesterday for A1C and see my NP (Nurse Practitioner) on Tuesday next week. I will be in for a battle but I can handle it to continue on LCMF - have severe IBS so can't handle a whole lot of fat. Since heading towards lowering my carbs and eating a late bfast and supper only, I have lost 6 lbs. (Lost 70 lbs three years ago and have maintained) I know I am heading in the right direction and I hope NP will hop on board - she is a sweet young woman but, boy she is wanting to throw all the meds my way and working from a very traditional medical model when it comes to diabetes.

Maybe I will have an Ace up my sleeve as I live in Canada and can refer to Dr. Jung!! Sorry for longish post, have been cruising around the Forum so decided to introduce myself to my 'new' boyfriend!! Shout out to all you Americans as I too am a proud American but fell in love with a Canadian boy 45 years ago!! Still love shopping in the good ole US of A. Graduate of University of Michigan - Go Blue:)

I have survived three major bouts of cancer, live with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue and the ever vicious IBS. My dilemna right now is do I bite the bullet and just concentrate on my diabetes and getting my numbers lower than the 7.8 from May and whatever it is now when I see PN, or do I concentrate on FODMAP diet for IBS?? Tough call as so much of what I see in recipes for LCHF call for ingredients that I can't even touch......I will get it figured out........taken me 16 years to get to this point of actually wanting to improve my diabetic health, so a few more weeks won't be a life or death situation!

Enough for now except to say that I am thankful that God allowed me to find you all and I am confident that I will garner much wisdom and laughter and progress from plugging into the Forum. Blessings to all/L

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@donnellysdogs might have some advice re post cancer and FODMAP.

My husband also jokes about a secret boyfriend. But it's not all the forum, sometimes I'm working!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @lindijanice, and welcome to the forum. Plenty of new 'girlfriends' as well as 'boyfriends' here for you to get to know, and share thoughts / likes /dislikes/ anything really. Enjoy!

:)

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi @lindijanice

Ha, yes I must have an online boyfriend too.. same as you!

I certainly have some similarities to you:-
Post cancer, supposedly fibro and right side bones also osteo arthritic..T1 though and also stomach/colon probs but mines due to everything not travelling fast enough...

However, I was at one time before seeing a superb gastroenterologist on a FODMAP lifestyle.

There are huge amounts of foods to eat on FODMAP. Courgette (zucchini) fried in buttee with scrapes of feta cheese and a soft runny egg on top was one of my favourites...

I was also introduced to pomi-t capsules from Oncologist Professor Robert Thomas and these have improved my well being and my husband (no cancer) enormously.

Chai tea... there is one superb one with no **** in it (but check ingredients of those in Canada). I still drink chai tea with added turmeric, black pepper, cinammon and ginger everyday with a drop of milk. And 2 cups drank after eating.. masala chai by tea india is the only one I drink..

You can still have some small portion of greek yogurt or goats yogurt and I have this with blueberries.. and whizzed up walnuts and almonds.

Psrsonally for me I cannot have anything at all with tomatoes or onions. So only onions and powdered onion, gravy granules etc are eliminated on FODMAP diet.. so that is a bonus.

You can also have a lot of variety with meat and veg..I cant eat meat or much veg as it is too dense or leafy to travel well in my stomach. I have to eat overcooked broccoli everyday for iron as I cannot eat meat or many items with iron in. There is also dried broccoli in the pomi-t capsules.
Chives are good for flavour when onions cant be ate at all.

I do take oil of oregano tablet for healthy thin blood and for my small intestine health. I also take Natural Health Probiotic for keeping my gut flora healthy. This was the only probiotic that my oncologist recommended besides Keffir etc which is not allowed on FODMAP.

As you have done so well previously with weightloss and more recently too, I would imagine that you have adjusted food intake before, so may not find this FODMAP too difficult.

I only eat pretty much 1 teaplate of food a day and now also a small ramekin of yogurt and bluberries so I know how it feels to change lifestyles around food.

On the positive note as I eat little I can have better quality food and also more treats like crafts and a dog back in my life again..so lots of positives for me personally.

Although not a T2 I guess you are aware that metformin can give IBS symptoms and some people find the slow release one better for their stomachs...

Answer-which one to concentrate on?? Both..
It is possible to do well on FODMAP foods for T2 too. Many of the foods are low carb...

Just when you establish food that you like and eat-I would recommend that you work out your daily carbs as an average but please do also check the qty of iron, b12, folate and general vitamins and minerals you are eating.

Going FODMAP and also low/lower carb can especially deplete B12. (Extremely high B12 is an indicator of cancer for me)..my diet lacks B12 and yet before cancer it was way above target at 1598. After cancer removed (twice) it has now dropped back to 210 which verges on low.

Most of all though, whatever foods you choose make it choices that can be ate for a lifetiime not as a time limited diet only...although I can occasionally feel grumpy about food and lack of choice that I must luve with or end up in A&E constantly or have colon removed I do see the benefits of more useful treats for me and hubby!!

Good luck to you and welcome here on your first "hello"... xx

Last edited:
Reactions: lcarter and Prem51

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi Everyone! Lindijanice here - a newcomer, T2 for past 16 years, Metformin 1000 mg/ 2x day. Did I get your interest with my title?!! I have been spending so much time soaking up all I possibly can on this Forum, that I no longer sit for hours in the evening watching TV with him! If you all qualify for 'boyfriend' status, then I think I picked an awesome one! I have learned more and been more challenged re: getting my diabetes under control so it no longer controls me since coming to the Forum than I have been in the last 16 years - November is my "anniversary" month for diagnosis.

Have to admit to denial, anger, ignoring, some effort when I felt like it...... Had my blood drawn yesterday for A1C and see my NP (Nurse Practitioner) on Tuesday next week. I will be in for a battle but I can handle it to continue on LCMF - have severe IBS so can't handle a whole lot of fat. Since heading towards lowering my carbs and eating a late bfast and supper only, I have lost 6 lbs. (Lost 70 lbs three years ago and have maintained) I know I am heading in the right direction and I hope NP will hop on board - she is a sweet young woman but, boy she is wanting to throw all the meds my way and working from a very traditional medical model when it comes to diabetes.

Maybe I will have an Ace up my sleeve as I live in Canada and can refer to Dr. Jung!! Sorry for longish post, have been cruising around the Forum so decided to introduce myself to my 'new' boyfriend!! Shout out to all you Americans as I too am a proud American but fell in love with a Canadian boy 45 years ago!! Still love shopping in the good ole US of A. Graduate of University of Michigan - Go Blue:)

I have survived three major bouts of cancer, live with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue and the ever vicious IBS. My dilemna right now is do I bite the bullet and just concentrate on my diabetes and getting my numbers lower than the 7.8 from May and whatever it is now when I see PN, or do I concentrate on FODMAP diet for IBS?? Tough call as so much of what I see in recipes for LCHF call for ingredients that I can't even touch......I will get it figured out........taken me 16 years to get to this point of actually wanting to improve my diabetic health, so a few more weeks won't be a life or death situation!

Enough for now except to say that I am thankful that God allowed me to find you all and I am confident that I will garner much wisdom and laughter and progress from plugging into the Forum. Blessings to all/L
November is my diaversary too when in November is yours

Reactions: Prem51

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Before you add any turmeic in for cancer or oil of oregano gut health or any vitamin/herb/spice at all.... do google or ask medical advice if its safe to do so on your meds..

I do not take any blood thinners like warfarin or cancer tablets (as I am intolerant to them and decided to go for quality if life over quantity)...

But before adding in any spices etc or new foods-do check how they pan out with meds.. Ie statins and grapefruit (I believe) should be avoided..

Please double check...

Reactions: Ixarix

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @lindijanice ,

A warm welcome to the forum..!

Oddly. I got married in reverse.. We honeymooned, then got married.
Soooo leading upto our third wedding anniversary, there was I making "furtive" phone calls & extra hours at work & generally sneaking around....

On the eve of our anniversary she sat me down & calmly accused me of having an affair... :nailbiting:

After a brief search where I put it, i produced the evidence against the accusation.. We never officially got engaged.. The sneaky overtime I was doing? Was putting a rock on that band of gold that completed the set on her finger. (Yeah, thinking back. I could see what it looked like. :banghead:)

Lol, I've never seen a mood change so quickly! :D

Get your husband to join aswell!? He's more than welcome! ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never been someones boyfriend (could be because I'm female-ish), but I really like the experience. I'll be your online-boyfriend anytime!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just googled what a Low FODMAP Diet is. It seems that meat and fish protein, olive oil, butter and green veg is OK. These can be the bases of a very low carb diet….

Also remember that interment fasting can be combined with any diet other than a high carb diet.

As Dr. Jung is local to you, it may be worth asking him how much it costs to join his program.

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello from a fellow Canadian. Nice to meet you. You've managed to stay up beat through all this. I'm newly diagnosed, and hearing from people like you is heartening. I love this forum, it has so much information and the people are really nice as well. Cheers.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @lindijanice

Ha, yes I must have an online boyfriend too.. same as you!

I certainly have some similarities to you:-
Post cancer, supposedly fibro and right side bones also osteo arthritic..T1 though and also stomach/colon probs but mines due to everything not travelling fast enough...

However, I was at one time before seeing a superb gastroenterologist on a FODMAP lifestyle.

There are huge amounts of foods to eat on FODMAP. Courgette (zucchini) fried in buttee with scrapes of feta cheese and a soft runny egg on top was one of my favourites...

I was also introduced to pomi-t capsules from Oncologist Professor Robert Thomas and these have improved my well being and my husband (no cancer) enormously.

Chai tea... there is one superb one with no **** in it (but check ingredients of those in Canada). I still drink chai tea with added turmeric, black pepper, cinammon and ginger everyday with a drop of milk. And 2 cups drank after eating.. masala chai by tea india is the only one I drink..

You can still have some small portion of greek yogurt or goats yogurt and I have this with blueberries.. and whizzed up walnuts and almonds.

Psrsonally for me I cannot have anything at all with tomatoes or onions. So only onions and powdered onion, gravy granules etc are eliminated on FODMAP diet.. so that is a bonus.

You can also have a lot of variety with meat and veg..I cant eat meat or much veg as it is too dense or leafy to travel well in my stomach. I have to eat overcooked broccoli everyday for iron as I cannot eat meat or many items with iron in. There is also dried broccoli in the pomi-t capsules.
Chives are good for flavour when onions cant be ate at all.

I do take oil of oregano tablet for healthy thin blood and for my small intestine health. I also take Natural Health Probiotic for keeping my gut flora healthy. This was the only probiotic that my oncologist recommended besides Keffir etc which is not allowed on FODMAP.

As you have done so well previously with weightloss and more recently too, I would imagine that you have adjusted food intake before, so may not find this FODMAP too difficult.

I only eat pretty much 1 teaplate of food a day and now also a small ramekin of yogurt and bluberries so I know how it feels to change lifestyles around food.

On the positive note as I eat little I can have better quality food and also more treats like crafts and a dog back in my life again..so lots of positives for me personally.

Although not a T2 I guess you are aware that metformin can give IBS symptoms and some people find the slow release one better for their stomachs...

Answer-which one to concentrate on?? Both..
It is possible to do well on FODMAP foods for T2 too. Many of the foods are low carb...

Just when you establish food that you like and eat-I would recommend that you work out your daily carbs as an average but please do also check the qty of iron, b12, folate and general vitamins and minerals you are eating.

Going FODMAP and also low/lower carb can especially deplete B12. (Extremely high B12 is an indicator of cancer for me)..my diet lacks B12 and yet before cancer it was way above target at 1598. After cancer removed (twice) it has now dropped back to 210 which verges on low.

Most of all though, whatever foods you choose make it choices that can be ate for a lifetiime not as a time limited diet only...although I can occasionally feel grumpy about food and lack of choice that I must luve with or end up in A&E constantly or have colon removed I do see the benefits of more useful treats for me and hubby!!

Good luck to you and welcome here on your first "hello"... xx

Thank you so very much @donnellydogs for picking up this thread and your great information. I appreciate the FODMAP review and just have to sit down and seriously map this out for myself. And, I need to focus more on what I can eat and love it and not worry about what I can't have but still love!! Thanks on the tips for vitamins/supplements as well - will review more thoroughly. Here's to a healthy two of us as we journey/L

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Before you add any turmeic in for cancer or oil of oregano gut health or any vitamin/herb/spice at all.... do google or ask medical advice if its safe to do so on your meds..

I do not take any blood thinners like warfarin or cancer tablets (as I am intolerant to them and decided to go for quality if life over quantity)...

But before adding in any spices etc or new foods-do check how they pan out with meds.. Ie statins and grapefruit (I believe) should be avoided..

Please double check...

Will do! I'm only on the Metformin and a low dose BP med - trying to wean off that with Doc's help. I guess I should fully disclose that my cancers were in 1975, 1985 and 1990. So have been blessed to be "cancer free" since. The Docs just don't tell you how messed up your poor old body is after all the chemotherapy, but I try to live one day at a time with gratitude..../L

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @lindijanice ,

A warm welcome to the forum..!

Oddly. I got married in reverse.. We honeymooned, then got married.
Soooo leading upto our third wedding anniversary, there was I making "furtive" phone calls & extra hours at work & generally sneaking around....

On the eve of our anniversary she sat me down & calmly accused me of having an affair... :nailbiting:

After a brief search where I put it, i produced the evidence against the accusation.. We never officially got engaged.. The sneaky overtime I was doing? Was putting a rock on that band of gold that completed the set on her finger. (Yeah, thinking back. I could see what it looked like. :banghead:)

Lol, I've never seen a mood change so quickly! :D

Get your husband to join aswell!? He's more than welcome! ;)

Thanks, Jaylee for giving me a good laugh tonight! Needed it and congrats that the lovely lady wore that rock so well:) Hubby isn't as supportive as I would like - I think he finds all of this a bit overwhelming as he can eat anything, any time, anywhere and no consequences!! He is famous for saying that one has to die someday, so may as well enjoy any food you want!! He is supportive if I want to do this, I should say, just not interested in really getting involved, if that makes sense! Thanks for the welcome/L

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just googled what a Low FODMAP Diet is. It seems that meat and fish protein, olive oil, butter and green veg is OK. These can be the bases of a very low carb diet….

Also remember that interment fasting can be combined with any diet other than a high carb diet.

As Dr. Jung is local to you, it may be worth asking him how much it costs to join his program.

Hello @ringi! I did check Dr, Jung's website and I'm not ready to part with about $1000.00 for his online course - I think there is a cheaper one for $850.00 or so!! Thanks for the reminder re: intermittent fasting - have been eating bfast around 9-10 and supper around 5 - 6 and closing the kitchen after that and drinking water or green tea.....Find I am ok with two meals/day but Hubby sure doesn't get it - he eats all the time - a true grazer:)
As I said to @donnellysdogs, I have to sit down and really go through FODMAP and LCMF (for me) as I know that there is lots of good stuff to eat! Thanks for your welcome and comments/L

I hope I didn't break any rules by quoting prices for Dr. Fung's program! Sorry for calling him Dr. Jung too:(

Last edited:

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello from a fellow Canadian. Nice to meet you. You've managed to stay up beat through all this. I'm newly diagnosed, and hearing from people like you is heartening. I love this forum, it has so much information and the people are really nice as well. Cheers.

Hello @Ixarix! Welcome to the diabetes club! I wish I had discovered this Forum ages ago but I have to think that this is the time for me to have found it as I am finally at the stage where I really want to improve my diabetic status. It is a tough journey, but one that we truly don't have to travel alone if we take advantage of opportunities to share and learn, like this Forum. Just remember that no question is a dumb question when it comes to trying to figure out your journey and need some assistance along the way. Best of luck and I will be interested to see how you get along/L