Libre woe - more 'false' lows

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No-one can convince me that short expiry dates on sensors are NOT an issue - the last one that failed had me super low, and then actually LO all day before it finally died and decided it wasn't even on my arm - and then yesterday and today my sensor has had me with very low readings and I am feeling fine. Well... as fine as one can be doing bills for the month, but you get my gist - no shaking, no feeling dopey (well... no more than usual).

The ONLY thing this week since the low readings started was that the care home where my late mother was had a memorial service for all the residents who had passed away and I was able to make it at short notice. But as with all things where my moher's death is concerned, I have had really bad night's sleeps which on top of last week super jet-lagged coming back from Singapore, I am wide awake around 4:30-5am and I wonder if that somehow has had an impact?

I just got a large glass of OJ from the bar, and and the levels seem to have perked up from 2.x to 4.x so the sensor is still working, of a sort.

I have one spare, and was going to put in an order for 6 to take me through to the end of January and the first tournies of the year... so fingers crossed this is not on the way our, otherwise that will be a third sensor in four that has failed early - which is a little sobreing before trying to part with £300+ for an order of 6!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No-one can convince me that short expiry dates on sensors are NOT an issue - the last one that failed had me super low, and then actually LO all day before it finally died and decided it wasn't even on my arm - and then yesterday and today my sensor has had me with very low readings and I am feeling fine. Well... as fine as one can be doing bills for the month, but you get my gist - no shaking, no feeling dopey (well... no more than usual).

The ONLY thing this week since the low readings started was that the care home where my late mother was had a memorial service for all the residents who had passed away and I was able to make it at short notice. But as with all things where my moher's death is concerned, I have had really bad night's sleeps which on top of last week super jet-lagged coming back from Singapore, I am wide awake around 4:30-5am and I wonder if that somehow has had an impact?

I just got a large glass of OJ from the bar, and and the levels seem to have perked up from 2.x to 4.x so the sensor is still working, of a sort.

I have one spare, and was going to put in an order for 6 to take me through to the end of January and the first tournies of the year... so fingers crossed this is not on the way our, otherwise that will be a third sensor in four that has failed early - which is a little sobreing before trying to part with £300+ for an order of 6!

Have you informed Abbott? They may replace free of charge. It has been known.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you informed Abbott? They may replace free of charge. It has been known.

I am going to but my dilemma is when. I am at the tournament now for pre-tournament press, and then out for dinner and then moving to the hotel tomorrow, but after this tournie going straight up to an IT conference...but... in between all of this on Monday (so one week before I use up my last sensor if this one doesn't suddenly die) I need to get that jumbo order in! I might call them from the hotel on Monday before coming in and ask them what best to do because oike I said I am only on metformin but if a steak pie, a handful of chips and beans and a large glass of orange juice gets me back up to 4.x and then I plunge down to low - that suggests the sensor is out of whack. It is still in place, and still seems firmly stuck on... there's no pinching to indicate the filament might have come out.

All in all @Bluetit1802, I am proper baffled!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to but my dilemma is when. I am at the tournament now for pre-tournament press, and then out for dinner and then moving to the hotel tomorrow, but after this tournie going straight up to an IT conference...but... in between all of this on Monday (so one week before I use up my last sensor if this one doesn't suddenly die) I need to get that jumbo order in! I might call them from the hotel on Monday before coming in and ask them what best to do because oike I said I am only on metformin but if a steak pie, a handful of chips and beans and a large glass of orange juice gets me back up to 4.x and then I plunge down to low - that suggests the sensor is out of whack. It is still in place, and still seems firmly stuck on... there's no pinching to indicate the filament might have come out.

All in all @Bluetit1802, I am proper baffled!

Two things, when your meter reads lower than you expect, do you do a finger prick tests to valid if so, and by how much? Of course, a sensor totally failing before it's time is pretty unequivocal, but it's good to have the context for Abbott.

Secondly, if necessarily, Abbott will hold and order for you, or deliver to an alternative address where necessary.

I once had one go flat-line "Lo" on me just a few days into it's life, and just as I was starting an overseas trip. They were even willing to send the replacement in the Tropics, but to be honest, importing anything there is a nightmare, never mind something they have no clue about.

In that case, they held the order, on my account, awaiting fulfilment until I gave them instructions. All I did was email them a few days before coming home and they sent it out to be with me a day or two after I got home. They were also content to send it elsewhere, if we had been due to have friends or family visiting us.

On that particular instance, I had ended up uncovering an email address, by a load of other emailing, as calling the helpline form overseas, and with a decent time difference seemed just a bit too much.

If all your efforts fail to sort out a solution, drop me a PM and I'll go searching for the email address.

Reactions: Prem51

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two things, when your meter reads lower than you expect, do you do a finger prick tests to valid if so, and by how much? Of course, a sensor totally failing before it's time is pretty unequivocal, but it's good to have the context for Abbott.

Secondly, if necessarily, Abbott will hold and order for you, or deliver to an alternative address where necessary.

I once had one go flat-line "Lo" on me just a few days into it's life, and just as I was starting an overseas trip. They were even willing to send the replacement in the Tropics, but to be honest, importing anything there is a nightmare, never mind something they have no clue about.

In that case, they held the order, on my account, awaiting fulfilment until I gave them instructions. All I did was email them a few days before coming home and they sent it out to be with me a day or two after I got home. They were also content to send it elsewhere, if we had been due to have friends or family visiting us.

On that particular instance, I had ended up uncovering an email address, by a load of other emailing, as calling the helpline form overseas, and with a decent time difference seemed just a bit too much.

If all your efforts fail to sort out a solution, drop me a PM and I'll go searching for the email address.

I don’t finger prick as my doctor won’t even advocate any kind of testing for any of his T2 patients not on insulin, but with an A1C off 111 I made the decision to scan and test. I write for a living so finger pricking at least 9 times a day is really not terribly practical, especially as more than one person now has told me that a T2 Mellitus on metformin has absolutely no right to even use Freestyle (utter rot... I am sure Abbott’s will take anyone’s money!!!).

The issues I have are:
1) I am at a tournament and not in a position to have my mail delivered to the venue. Then I am straight up to schmooze and try and drum up some IT writing work in ... the exotic location on Manchester (go on, you are all so jealous of my globe trotting, I know hahah)
2) I am pretty sure that if I was really below 3MMOL each day for the last few days I would be barely able to get out of bed, much less be running back and forth between practice sessions, press conferences, transcribing, and cutting audio and video together. I have had enough “experience”with these varmints to know that this is a sensor where maybe the filament is not all the way in, but as it hasn’t reverted to continuous ‘LO’ readings, my dilemma is... do I use my last spare and order a batch first thing on Monday including ripping into them about yet ANOTHER short expiry date issue and failure, or do I stick it out because high carb stuff does push it up (but up is relative when it is starting on the floor!!!)
3) Do I remove it (because the low readings are not helping my overall averages) and just ride out the next 10 days with nothing and then start afresh hopefully with more reliable sensors.

I have trained my let DPD driver to FINALLY read the instructions on my door and to use my secure parcel box so at least I know it is likely to be there when I get back, but I am heading straight to Manchester after this tournament for a night and then on earlier for the rest of the week. But being away for 10 days means I can really only get one thing delivered in this time frame, so I am afraid I angered someone who got annoyed when I said that ordering a finger-prick tester online would not help as it would mean that would be the priority for delivery, not the new sensors.

An action obviously for once I am at home and can get to the giant Boots in my local town is to get a finger-prick tester kit for “emergencies”and it just annoys me greatly that my gut feel this sensor is dodgy is going to skew my readings/estimates,

Then again... since getting back from Singapore I haven’t really been able to get going with my plans for at least one solid LC meal in the evenings... so am I just better riding out this last push and then by then hopefully the dates on the sensors will be well into 2018...

I have been keeping a record and my first four were all 2018 dates and I had no issues at all with dodgy readings or skin irritation. Then again by BG was so high the numbers had no choice but to come down!!!

I have the spare, and as an aside this really hacks me off as I really needed to test the cavillon spray as a barrier to reduce skin irritation and now I have no idea if THAT is the issue!

I think for now I will keep it in and I will call them on Monday first thing st 8am and really give them hell.

My options therefore:
Wait for the little git to die, and use the spare then
See if when I talk/yell (j/k yelling gets you nowhere) at them on Monday they will send a gratis sensor with the order in a goodwill gesture for the three issues I have had thanks to their stupid short dates.

At the end of the day my last A1C is still high. I still have a long way to go before even getting close to what is termed pre-diabetic levels so despite what some have told me about being a blight on the NHS and their T1 rights of access to sensors (yes really), I will continue to spend my hard earned on anything that will help me manage my diabetes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t finger prick as my doctor won’t even advocate any kind of testing for any of his T2 patients not on insulin, but with an A1C off 111 I made the decision to scan and test. I write for a living so finger pricking at least 9 times a day is really not terribly practical, especially as more than one person now has told me that a T2 Mellitus on metformin has absolutely no right to even use Freestyle (utter rot... I am sure Abbott’s will take anyone’s money!!!).

The issues I have are:
1) I am at a tournament and not in a position to have my mail delivered to the venue. Then I am straight up to schmooze and try and drum up some IT writing work in ... the exotic location on Manchester (go on, you are all so jealous of my globe trotting, I know hahah)
2) I am pretty sure that if I was really below 3MMOL each day for the last few days I would be barely able to get out of bed, much less be running back and forth between practice sessions, press conferences, transcribing, and cutting audio and video together. I have had enough “experience”with these varmints to know that this is a sensor where maybe the filament is not all the way in, but as it hasn’t reverted to continuous ‘LO’ readings, my dilemma is... do I use my last spare and order a batch first thing on Monday including ripping into them about yet ANOTHER short expiry date issue and failure, or do I stick it out because high carb stuff does push it up (but up is relative when it is starting on the floor!!!)
3) Do I remove it (because the low readings are not helping my overall averages) and just ride out the next 10 days with nothing and then start afresh hopefully with more reliable sensors.

I have trained my let DPD driver to FINALLY read the instructions on my door and to use my secure parcel box so at least I know it is likely to be there when I get back, but I am heading straight to Manchester after this tournament for a night and then on earlier for the rest of the week. But being away for 10 days means I can really only get one thing delivered in this time frame, so I am afraid I angered someone who got annoyed when I said that ordering a finger-prick tester online would not help as it would mean that would be the priority for delivery, not the new sensors.

An action obviously for once I am at home and can get to the giant Boots in my local town is to get a finger-prick tester kit for “emergencies”and it just annoys me greatly that my gut feel this sensor is dodgy is going to skew my readings/estimates,

Then again... since getting back from Singapore I haven’t really been able to get going with my plans for at least one solid LC meal in the evenings... so am I just better riding out this last push and then by then hopefully the dates on the sensors will be well into 2018...

I have been keeping a record and my first four were all 2018 dates and I had no issues at all with dodgy readings or skin irritation. Then again by BG was so high the numbers had no choice but to come down!!!

I have the spare, and as an aside this really hacks me off as I really needed to test the cavillon spray as a barrier to reduce skin irritation and now I have no idea if THAT is the issue!

I think for now I will keep it in and I will call them on Monday first thing st 8am and really give them hell.

My options therefore:
Wait for the little git to die, and use the spare then
See if when I talk/yell (j/k yelling gets you nowhere) at them on Monday they will send a gratis sensor with the order in a goodwill gesture for the three issues I have had thanks to their stupid short dates.

At the end of the day my last A1C is still high. I still have a long way to go before even getting close to what is termed pre-diabetic levels so despite what some have told me about being a blight on the NHS and their T1 rights of access to sensors (yes really), I will continue to spend my hard earned on anything that will help me manage my diabetes.

It's entirely up to you how you manage your situation, and I appreciate the frustration of finding a way to achieve the continuity you would prefer.

Regarding your query over "do you take the old sensor off". Personally, I'd leave it, until you've spoken with them on Monday. It would indicate you've left it as long as possible for it to sort itself out.

In terms of not testing alongside it. When I'm wearing a LIbre, once I have assessed how much variance there is -n an individual sensor, versus finger prick tests, I test much less. Like many people I have had sensors that have been very good and others just a bit bonkers.

One thing I would say is that I have always found it useful to be able to quote comparative Libre v appropriately timed finger prick tests, when reporting an issue. These days, I even have a very small supply of Abbott strips, for the Libre reader, so that comparison is made on their kit - their scanner, versus their inbuilt meter. When reporting in this way, I have never even had to hint they replace a sensor, because they feel I have robust comparative evidence. However, again that's just what I do. You have to decide on your own approach.

Just one final thing I will say is that whatever the accuracy of the sensors, for me, the estimated HbA1c numbers have always been low - 19-21, whereas my venous lab tests are consistently 31-33, so whatever, best to keep an open mind when it comes to the absolute numbers. That said, as someone nearer the beginning of the diabetes journey than I am (just over 4 years), provided you are seeing downward trends (from your diagnostic result, that's the prime importance.

I hope it goes well for you on Monday.

Reactions: RFSMarch

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the advice - will let you know what they say!