Dexcom g5

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone
I am a type 1 diabetic of six years suddenly haveing a new baby back to college to dance levels Arnt like they use to be I struggle to test as much as I use to I really want a dexcom g5 as I feel this will help me. Anyone in the UK have one do we no if we can get the sensors on the NHS? If I buy the machine.

Or any other devices similar that can get through NHS.

Reactions: Parky9

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used the G5, as have many other members of the forum:)

In terms of getting a CGM on the NHS, you'd be hard pushed to do so. Access to CGM tends to be strictly reserved for those who have extraordinary difficulties with their BG management, typically affecting their survival. If you don't fit that criteria, you're unlikely to qualify unfortunately.

It's also worth adding that the NHS does not offer part funding for anything diabetes related. They have to supply everything or nothing.

You may want to look into the Freestyle Libre if you will (and likely will) be self funding. It does not require a transmitter so is typically cheaper than a true CGM, such as Dexcom.

Reactions: jemz24

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Dexcom is more proactive than the Libre, with readings every 5 mins, with the libre you have to swipe the sensor.

Cost wise the G5 is more expensive, but if your sensors last 4-5 weeks like mine and you already have an iPhone then the cost is reduced. But you still need a new transmitter every 3 months.

Costs based on my useage
Annual Libre cost = £1508 for 26 sensors + one off cost of £58 for reader
Annual G5 cost = £800 for 4 Transmitters + £612 for 12 sensors (1 per month) = £1412 (+£275 for a reader if not using iPhone).

So for me the cost is slightly cheaper for the G5.

Ewe

The Dexcom is more proactive than the Libre, with readings every 5 mins, with the libre you have to swipe the sensor.

Cost wise the G5 is more expensive, but if your sensors last 4-5 weeks like mine and you already have an iPhone then the cost is reduced. But you still need a new transmitter every 3 months.

Costs based on my useage
Annual Libre cost = £1508 for 26 sensors + one off cost of £58 for reader
Annual G5 cost = £800 for 4 Transmitters + £612 for 12 sensors (1 per month) = £1412 (+£275 for a reader if not using iPhone).

So for me the cost is slightly cheaper for the G5.

Chas, I'm thinking of getting a G5 but my hopes on the NHS are very faint. It sounds amazing, and I'm sure it would help me lots. With young family I can't justify the full cost. How do you manage to keep one sensor or 4-5 weeks? Your reply would be much appreciated!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chas, I'm thinking of getting a G5 but my hopes on the NHS are very faint. It sounds amazing, and I'm sure it would help me lots. With young family I can't justify the full cost. How do you manage to keep one sensor or 4-5 weeks? Your reply would be much appreciated!

Hi Ewe - I place my sensors on my upper arm, I use skin tac pasted on my arm before I place on the sensor (let skin tac dry first), then use lift plus wipes to remove the excess skin tac. If the edge of the sensor lifts (after 2-3 wks) then use more skin tac, put it under where sensor lifts, wait for it to dry then press back in place (sometimes paint over the top).

Some use other tape over the top, I tried this but it was no better for me.

If I go swimming then I use Vet Wrap over the transmitter and sensor on my arm, also called sport wrap, so I don't loose the transmitter. Been doing this for 4 or more years.

I could not get NHS funding for either the G4, G5 or Libre.

The life of the sensor inside your skin seems to vary from person to person, I have a friend who struggled to get one week and stopped. It must be also based upon body chemistry, I'm a lucky one and always get around a month.

Ewe

Hi Ewe - I place my sensors on my upper arm, I use skin tac pasted on my arm before I place on the sensor (let skin tac dry first), then use lift plus wipes to remove the excess skin tac. If the edge of the sensor lifts (after 2-3 wks) then use more skin tac, put it under where sensor lifts, wait for it to dry then press back in place (sometimes paint over the top).

Some use other tape over the top, I tried this but it was no better for me.

If I go swimming then I use Vet Wrap over the transmitter and sensor on my arm, also called sport wrap, so I don't loose the transmitter. Been doing this for 4 or more years.

I could not get NHS funding for either the G4, G5 or Libre.
Thank you!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you!

I get the lift plus wipes on prescription but have to purchase the skin tac (I've only ever bought one bottle - so far its about 1/4 left).

Ewe

I get the lift plus wipes on prescription but have to purchase the skin tac (I've only ever bought one bottle - so far its about 1/4 left).
And how does the actual G5 work? Does it have a battery life for exactly 3 months or does it have a built in shut off timer? What is the app for Android called? Thanks!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was tempted to try G5 but it seems to be a bit hit or miss on how long the sensors last.

I've turned my libre into cgm by putting a blucon transmitter from Ambrosia Systems www.ambrosiasys.com on top of the sensor. It then reads it every five minutes and bluetooths the reading to xDrip+ on my phone, so I get alerts, predictions, calibration etc. Not bad for a one off cost of £100 for the transmitter. It's not waterproof so have to take off for showers but no big deal, just use a plaster.

https://jamorham.github.io

Reactions: Chas C

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And how does the actual G5 work? Does it have a battery life for exactly 3 months or does it have a built in shut off timer? What is the app for Android called? Thanks!

Its 3 months for transmitter. There is an Android app too but who would buy an Android phone ;-)