How irresposible are the current diet NHS guidelines for T2 and pre diabetics?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, those "poor" French geese actually struggle to jump the queue to get to the corn poured into them. They are not forced.
Watch it some time and you'll probably come to the same conclusion as myself.....geese are birdbrains !
Even more like us than I thought!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kendrick is well known for his opinions here. His book on cholesterol is amazing.
I followed the link, but have not managed to glean any advice as to what action I can take to avoid diabetic complications and bad outcomes. Dr K seems to be saying that lowering my carb intake and bg will only make things worse. So what should I do?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I followed the link, but have not managed to glean any advice as to what action I can take to avoid diabetic complications and bad outcomes. Dr K seems to be saying that lowering my carb intake and bg will only make things worse. So what should I do?

Did you tag me by mistake? My comment was in answer to one made on cholesterol not on lowering carbs.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Here is a quote from him on another page. He is talking about the book Diabetes Unpacked.

"In truth, despite my in-built ‘outside in’ way of thinking, I am in (virtual) full agreement with this project, and the view that if you want to avoid diabetes, the correct diet is low carb, high fat (LCHF). If you are unfortunate enough to have diabetes, it is critically important to eat a LCHF diet."

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is a quote from him on another page.

"In truth, despite my in-built ‘outside in’ way of thinking, I am in (virtual) full agreement with this project, and the view that if you want to avoid diabetes, the correct diet is low carb, high fat (LCHF). If you are unfortunate enough to have diabetes, it is critically important to eat a LCHF diet."
That's reassuring, but what then are we to make of the following quote:

"Some of you will have heard of the ACCORD study, others will not. In this study researchers, tried to force blood sugar levels down as far as possible using intensive treatment. They found the following:

‘Until last week, researchers, doctors and every medical professional has believed for decades that if people with diabetes lowered their blood sugars to normal levels, they could not only prevent the complications from diabetes, but also reduce the risk of dying from heart disease. But the Accord Study, (for Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes), a major NIH study of more than 10,000 older and middle-aged people with type 2 diabetes has found that lowering blood sugar actually increased their risk of death.2’"

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alexandra100

Dr Jason Fung had a nice writeup on the issue. The main point is that lowering glucose thru medication that move glucose around in the body did not improve the outcome...
https://idmprogram.com/failure-blood-glucose-paradigm/

That is very interesting too. But if the issue is too much insulin, rather than too much glucose, doesn't lowering the intake of carbs also lower the production of insulin, which is no longer in "overdrive"? That, to me, would be common sense. (I notice that the above article specifically mentions people whose BG was drug-controlled, rather than diet.)

It seems there are a lot of "chicken and egg" issues to be resolved with diabetes.

Reactions: woodywhippet61

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Grateful You just restated 30 years of science from the leading low carb and intermittent fasting researchers in one sentence.... Atkins said this in the 1970s back did not have the science to explain why, we no have the science.

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strictly off the record she told me to get a copy of Michael Moseley's Blood Sugar Diet as the science in it is so interesting.[/QUOTE]

The final paragraph said it all!!
I read the book and changed my life style. It worked for me.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But if the issue is too much insulin, rather than too much glucose, doesn't lowering the intake of carbs also lower the production of insulin, which is no longer in "overdrive"? That, to me, would be common sense. (I notice that the above article specifically mentions people whose BG was drug-controlled, rather than diet.)

I might have this wrong but isn't this why the LCHF folks all say to people be careful of increasing your carbs once you've got your bgl's under control. i.e. I see posts on here where people have done well in lowering their levels and are saying that they are looking forwards to eating more carbs again. There then starts to be some debate over whether this is a good idea or not.

Increasing carbs can lead to increasing insulin which then leads to insulin resistance. Help have I got this simplistic idea right or wrong?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Increasing carbs can lead to increasing insulin which then leads to insulin resistance. Help have I got this simplistic idea right or wrong?

Aaargh:confused:. That one ties me up in knots too. Because you could just as easily say, insulin resistance leads to increasing production of insulin, in a vicious circle. As I said, the chicken-and-egg problem. No wonder it is confusing.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it does and is. I was talking from a person whose got their levels down to 'non-diabetic'. Presumably there should have been a reduction in IR?

Very impressive your results are, too. I tend to think that since the main problem with T2 is supposed to be insulin resistance, then if you get your BG down to non-diabetic levels, the IR has been reduced. But someone who knows far more about this is sure to come along and explain that I am either wrong, or over-simplifying things.

Reactions: woodywhippet61

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops I deleted my post. I thought that I was just rambling. Thank you.

This part of the discussion is really helping me get my head around 'what next for me'. I was going to re-introduce those 'healthy carbs' but I'm not sure that I am. More research and reading needed.

Reactions: Guzzler

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes the insulin response in type 2’s is even as High as 10 times the normal level of nondiabetic People’s average ( According to Jason Fung)