Temperature -- What Effect On Calories Burned?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on the northeast coast of America. Today, it's brass monkeys out there: minus 8 degrees centigrade with the wind chill factored in.

I'm about to go on my daily 3-mile brisk walk. Does the outside temperature make a difference to calories burned during this kind of exercise? Cases:
  • Very cold like today.
  • Temperate, as in spring/autumn.
  • Very hot, as it can be here in the summer (in the high 30s centigrade).
In all these cases I am assuming appropriate clothing. When warm enough, "gym clothes." During cold periods, very covered up, including warm trousers, down-filled coat, and low-temperature-rated balaklava and gloves.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I'm on the northeast coast of America. Today, it's brass monkeys out there: minus 8 degrees centigrade with the wind chill factored in.

I'm about to go on my daily 3-mile brisk walk. Does the outside temperature make a difference to calories burned during this kind of exercise? Cases:
  • Very cold like today.
  • Temperate, as in spring/autumn.
  • Very hot, as it can be here in the summer (in the high 30s centigrade).
In all these cases I am assuming appropriate clothing. When warm enough, "gym clothes." During cold periods, very covered up, including warm trousers, down-filled coat, and low-temperature-rated balaklava and gloves.
Even here the weather changed very cold but I do not think like you

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your post made me think of a saying that I abide by: There’s no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing :joyful:

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your post made me think of a saying that I abide by: There’s no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing :joyful:

It is brutal here in winter. Just after my T2D diagnosis in February I started the daily walking and there were some days of minus 20 centigrade (if you include the wind chill). Even though my winter gear is rated for such temperatures, when I got home on some days my hands felt like I had approached frostbite. Not to mention the ice on the footpaths and sidewalks (major limb fracture, anyone?).

Those were awful days, in retrospect -- having got the diagnosis and then thinking that Mother Nature was out to get me if I tried to do anything about it. So glad that time has moved on and a Proper Perspective gained.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not to mention the ice on the footpaths and sidewalks (major limb fracture, anyone?).

Lol, not for me..! I normally cut an old pair of socks into a 4inch tube & slide it over the "ball" of the sole on my boots..
The material grips ice on the sidewalks. I can literally run if I needed to? ;)

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol, not for me..! I normally cut an old pair of socks into a 4inch tube & slide it over the "ball" of the sole on my boots..
The material grips ice on the sidewalks. I can literally run if I needed to? ;)

I'm clumsy and have suffered three major limb fractures in my life (leg, elbow, and hip) so tend to be ultra-careful nowadays!