How irresposible are the current diet NHS guidelines for T2 and pre diabetics?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to re-introduce those 'healthy carbs' but I'm not sure that I am.

We are on a similar journey. Your HbA1c started at the same level as mine and you achieved an even bigger reduction.

I am still waiting for the result of my Nov. 1 test (it seems to have disappeared into a Kafka-esque recess of the lab). I have already spent some time thinking about whether to relax the low-carb regime if the HbA1c is stable, or even, lower-than the previous one.

There doesn't seem to be an answer to the question. I completely "get" the notion, expressed by many, that any slipping back is not going to do one any favors, not least because of the willpower required to eat "just a few" carbs. If that stuff about carbs being addictive, and creating a hankering for more, is true, then there is a strong psychological argument for just "holding the line."

I also see a number of people who say, "After getting into shape and adopting a healthy diet, why would you ever want to go back to eating carbs?" Well, coming from the perspective of someone who is currently "ultra-low-carb," I don't totally agree. Surely if it were possible to eat moderate quantities of carbs and still maintain good BG control, that would not be "unhealthy"? Or would it? Could it have long-term bad consequences?

Ultimately the only way to know is to conduct yet another "experiment of one," huh?

Reactions: woodywhippet61

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I still have some weight to lose, but when I get to my target, I need to eat more to ensure I don't continue losing weight. So how do I eat more and prevent weight loss without increasing carbs slightly?

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still have some weight to lose, but when I get to my target, I need to eat more to ensure I don't continue losing weight. So how do I eat more and prevent weight loss without increasing carbs slightly?

You eat more fat. Or you have a glass of wine. At least that's what some people on here do as I'm not in this position I don't know what will work for me.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Archersuz - my usual advice is to plan ahead a bit. I found when my weight got close to where I wanted it to be, I started working on stabilising it. I just started by eating a bit more of all my meals - not a lot, but just slightly larger portions. That didn't work, so in addition, I added a bit more cheese, then when that didn't totally do the trick, I added some nuts.

That did it, but it took several weeks to get it right, and I ended up pretty light really.

That was all over 3 years ago now and I haven't regained or lots material amounts of weight. Like everyone else, I have day to day variations, but I tend to skirt around +/- 1kg, so a variation of a kilo up or down. That's just how it is. I don't manage it terribly, I didn't add more carbs, except a very small amount more in the larger vegetable portions, and a few in the nuts.

But, please think ahead, and maybe start before you get to your target weight. If you end upo stabilised with a few pounds left to lose, you'll know what you need to do to do that trimming - just dial back the larger posrtions a bit.

Good luck with it all.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are on a similar journey. Your HbA1c started at the same level as mine and you achieved an even bigger reduction.

I am still waiting for the result of my Nov. 1 test (it seems to have disappeared into a Kafka-esque recess of the lab). I have already spent some time thinking about whether to relax the low-carb regime if the HbA1c is stable, or even, lower-than the previous one.

There doesn't seem to be an answer to the question. I completely "get" the notion, expressed by many, that any slipping back is not going to do one any favors, not least because of the willpower required to eat "just a few" carbs. If that stuff about carbs being addictive, and creating a hankering for more, is true, then there is a strong psychological argument for just "holding the line."

I also see a number of people who say, "After getting into shape and adopting a healthy diet, why would you ever want to go back to eating carbs?" Well, coming from the perspective of someone who is currently "ultra-low-carb," I don't totally agree. Surely if it were possible to eat moderate quantities of carbs and still maintain good BG control, that would not be "unhealthy"? Or would it? Could it have long-term bad consequences?

Ultimately the only way to know is to conduct yet another "experiment of one," huh?

It's the freedom of just being able to eat what I want that is so seductive for me. Stupid thing is I would still most likely eat as I do today because I feel so well on it. But the convenience of just grabbing a carb loaded snack.......

That is one thing that has surprised me just how much I've enjoyed experimenting with my body. If I hadn't become T2 then that would never have happened. I also wouldn't be enjoying all the walking that I now do (again).

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

When I got to my target, I stayed on the low-carb regime but abandoned the portion control. Hey presto, the weight loss stopped and I "plateau'd" at a BMI of around 19. Oh, and of course you are correct: if you eat more, you will eat more carbs, if you eat the same food but just more of it.

Of course that may not happen for you. All I am trying to say is that you don't know what will happen as you approach your target, or your weight loss may even "stall" prior to getting to the target.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But the convenience of just grabbing a carb loaded snack.......

Shows how different people can be. I don't miss the carb snacks (or carby food in general) and in fact never really snacked in that way, apart from the odd bag of crisps.

My "weakness" is beer. Not being able to have my old daily pint (or two, or three) has been the biggest "loss" so far. I can hear y'all saying: Yeah, big deal, you reversed your diabetes, and now you bellyache about beer?

So in my fantasies, I stay on a really strict low-carb (food) diet but then add a pint or two of beer per day. Of course that would mean more than half of my carbs would come from beer! I might start growing a "beer paunch" again! Then, before you know it, bob's your uncle, back to square one?

Maybe, maybe not.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all your replies. I do have a way to go yet on weight loss, but I have thinking about it recently as I seem to be losing the weight fairly easily and I was worried that I would overdo it!

Chuckannuck

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please do not criticise your practice nurse for not following anything other than the official NICE guidelines for the simple reason to do anything else would mean that they would lose their professional registration with the Nursing and midwifery council as they’d be in breach of their code of professional conduct, with a subsequent loss of their job;however, a GP can go against such guidelines if they’re convinced there is a valid clinical justification for doing so. My GP is in favour of LCHF diets as she’s aware of the advantages and says that the NHS guidelines need to be updated.

But it does beg the question, who IS accountable for promoting and continuing these tragically and colossally misdirected un-treatments?

I would think that, even if no one cared a whit for people with T2D, or the toll on them and their families, an auditor would have come along by now and said, "you do realize we're not buying any health with our health care spending on type 2 diabetes, right? And we're actively involved in keeping people from solutions that are not only cost-effective but effective? Just thought I should mention it in my report since it isn't considered proper to pour Billions of (pounds, dollars, whatever) down the drain year after year."

Edited by moderator to remove potentially inflammatory content.

Last edited by a moderator: