Muscle Pain

Lazell123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For some time now I've been getting terrible pain in my legs when walking and in my arms when lifting/carrying things. It's having a bad effect on my everyday life. I'm 59 years old and have been type 1 for 56 years. I had open heart surgery in February 2016. I swim 26 lengths 3 times a week. Muscle pain is much less when swimming than walking. Can anyone offer and help or advice please?

Reactions: Ixarix

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
For some time now I've been getting terrible pain in my legs when walking and in my arms when lifting/carrying things. It's having a bad effect on my everyday life. I'm 59 years old and have been type 1 for 56 years. I had open heart surgery in February 2016. I swim 26 lengths 3 times a week. Muscle pain is much less when swimming than walking. Can anyone offer and help or advice please?

"For reasons that aren’t entirely clear, diabetes can affect the musculoskeletal system, which includes the tendons, ligaments, and joints, as well as bones and muscles. For example, more than half of people who have diabetes also have arthritis, a term that describes over 100 conditions that are caused by inflammation of the joints and connective tissues."

Read more here.....https://www.diabetesselfmanagement....ications-prevention/joint-pain-and-stiffness/

Lazell123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Daibell. Yes, I've been on statins for many years. I've had blood tests to determine if statins have effected my muscles, and the results have been negative. I'm waiting for an appointment to see my consultant about my problem, but I reckon it's because I've had type 1 for so many years and it's taking it's toll on my body, which is inevitable. Thank you.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i would say its your statins which type are you on. i was put on 800mg and i had to stop because of the leg pain. im now on 100mg atorvastatin.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hello Daibell. Yes, I've been on statins for many years. I've had blood tests to determine if statins have effected my muscles, and the results have been negative. I'm waiting for an appointment to see my consultant about my problem, but I reckon it's because I've had type 1 for so many years and it's taking it's toll on my body, which is inevitable. Thank you.
Interesting. I didn't know there are blood tests like that. I figured they'd just have you suspend taking the statin and/or switch to a different one and see if the pain went away.

Lazell123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i would say its your statins which type are you on. i was put on 800mg and i had to stop because of the leg pain. im now on 100mg atorvastatin.
Hello paulus1. I've been on a few different statins over the years, atorvastatin being one of them. I'm currently taking 5mg Rosuvastatin daily.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thats an expensive one. what was your issues with the other statins.

Lazell123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd convinced myself that they were causing muscle pain, but blood tests proved otherwise. My consultant said "I'll give you the best ever statins so you'll have peace of mind." 5mg is such a low dose compared to what lots of people take. I haven't got cholesterol and never have had. I was put on statins when they first came out as a prevention rather than cure.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting. I didn't know there are blood tests like that. I figured they'd just have you suspend taking the statin and/or switch to a different one and see if the pain went away.
I would imagine the blood test would be checking the level of creatine kinase (CK) which is a marker of muscle damage

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I would imagine the blood test would be checking the level of creatine kinase (CK) which is a marker of muscle damage
You are probably correct that this is the test.

However, a quick google search found this, which suggests that maybe that test isn't infallible:

"Statin users with prolonged statin-related muscle pain may also experience muscle damage, even when a blood test used to identify muscle injury is normal, new research shows."

https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-m...le-damage-from-statins-may-evade-blood-test#1

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I've had sore arm for a while too but I went to the doctors and they said that I had to not to lift anything heavy and I had to rest it for two weeks they gave me some painkillers

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

However, a quick google search found this, which suggests that maybe that test isn't infallible:

"Statin users with prolonged statin-related muscle pain may also experience muscle damage, even when a blood test used to identify muscle injury is normal, new research shows."

https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-m...le-damage-from-statins-may-evade-blood-test#1
Interesting.
I got a massively elevated CK level from Cipro ( antibiotic)
The CK level is apparently meant to be under 100 - the consulant rang me to say my level was “ just under 54,000, and I need you in hospital, now!” My immediate reaction was along the lines of F***ing hell! to which she said that was pretty much her reaction when she got the results back

Lazell123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you for your interest and advice. Hopefully my consultant will have some answers, providing I get an appointment before I stop walking altogether!!

Lazell123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting.
I got a massively elevated CK level from Cipro ( antibiotic)
The CK level is apparently meant to be under 100 - the consulant rang me to say my level was “ just under 54,000, and I need you in hospital, now!” My immediate reaction was along the lines of F***ing hell! to which she said that was pretty much her reaction when she got the results back
Goodness me!! Hope you're OK now