DLA MONEY

W.bubble13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Did you know that T1D are entitled to disability living allowance (DLA) because T1D are classed as some what disabled.

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's now called PIP and you wouldn't get it as a type 1 adult. DLA still exists for people under the age of 16 and can be payed for newly diagnosed children in some circumstances.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Did you know that T1D are entitled to disability living allowance (DLA) because T1D are classed as some what disabled.
For children yes your parents ca claim DLA for you it stops at 16 though and you have to prove that your diabetes affects you a lot more than a non diabetic child.

Please do not class yourself as disabled though because having diabetes is not a disability and there's no reason what so ever not to live a normal happy healthy life :) I've had type 1 for almost 53 years and never felt disabled or treated as such. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison Campbell

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You do not get PIP for life unless you have an absolutely debilitating illness such as dystonia and needing 6 carers a day and nurses during the night. (Just an example).

PIP is not given as a standard to people with just diabetes whether its T1 or T 2 etc..

I dont know where you have got your info from W.bubble13 but it is incorrect and could be misleading to forum members.

W.bubble13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Then how come I will get it when I’m 16 then and it’s not incorrect because I was told but my team

W.bubble13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes you may get it if you need round the clock care but don’t we all in case we go low when we’re asleep and don’t awake up.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Then how come I will get it when I’m 16 then and it’s not incorrect because I was told but my team
It's quite simple your team is wrong :)
Even though you are only 13 or 14 I think, can you imagine how bankrupt the country would be if the government paid every diabetic money just for having diabetes?
I have type 1 diabetes I also have MS, Addison's disease, coeliac and an under active thyroid but this does not entitle me to scrounge off of other tax payers when I am capable of living a normal life.

Reactions: mahola

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes you may get it if you need round the clock care but don’t we all in case we go low when we’re asleep and don’t awake up.

So how do people living on their own manage? Please don't go listening to scare stories.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Have you got any other illnesss besides T1D??

PIP stands for Personal Independence Payment and is a benefit to enable those that suffer from significant impaired health to gain some independence not because you have a specific illness such as T1D.

The forms ask about your ability to put a pen in an upper coat pocket with a hand or are you able to prepare yourself a meal etc.. its not based upon giving injections for the rest of your life.

If you have significant other illnesses that impact upon your independence then you may be entitled to something but it is very, very rarely for life. Even people with terminal cancer can have to jump through hoops to gain PIP.

leahkian

The only way you will find out is when you are 16. I have had DLA and PIP but the rules change when they renamed it you could qualify for DLA as a hypo is classed as a fit or seizure, before anyone say you cannot I had a medical with Atos and you needed 15 points to get it. I got no point even though my diabetes was hard to control, i was on the transplant list and also had mental health problems. So i appealed and welfare rights came with me, there was a doctor and a judge and welfare rights explained the hypos and the doctor said he could no understand why i was there. I was there because Atos got £500 for everyone the signed off but that many people appeeled and won there case that it cost more than if they had not done it. Now for PIP whichis being run buy Atos but a different department, you can get it and you do not have to have 24 hour care I have had my transplant but still get PIP as my diabetic problems have got worse since the transplant with numbness in both hands and legs, i am also in constant pain due to all my nerves are damage and when the did the transplant they cut away some of the nerves away from my bladder which can hold 8 pints of fluid so i have to use a catheter and there is damage to my bowel. As this has happened my mental health has become worse. When you get a PIP person to come and see you they can be anyone who has worked in medical role, when i got mine i was lucky i got a mental health worker and she took her time to read through evert letter that a consultant had sent. The bad news is after the DLA trouble the goverment cut funding to welfare rights so it is hard for anyone to get one. but dont worry i am sure Mrs May is trying to kill us off by under funding the NHS as they can afford private health care. So if you aplply for PIP you have to put every answer as if it was your worst day

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When your 16 it changes to pip and you get it for life

Sorry to butt in - but I've just done the DLA to PIP transfer for my 16 year old son - he's not diabetic (that's me) - but he is autistic. In his case because he has learning difficulties and developmental delays I am still in charge of his forms and money - that wouldn't be the case for you. At 16 you are seen as being capable.

If you are on DLA you get a letter before your 16th birthday telling you the award is ending. Then you have to apply for PIP from scratch.

My son got his awarded - he needs help with cooking, self care etc. The award is for 4 years until he is 20 then I will have to re-apply.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I could see someone who needed a 2nd person about all the time due to a real risk of hypos getting DLA, but you must PROVE there is no other way to remove the risk. It is no easy to get DLA these days.

(My wife gets the lower rate of DLA due to cerebral palsy, if she had type1 as well, it may get her the higher rate, as she could not use a normal meter without help.)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
This is why statements of carte blanche that all T1's from 16 dla to pip is wrong information.

It all depends upon what the persons can independently manage to do for themselves... it is definitely not a free for all for all T1's to automatically get pip...

leahkian

If you get PIP for say 3 years after 2 years they send you a form out to ask about any changes. It has 3 answers to each question which are no change, better or worse. The government say this is to speed up the time it takes when you re-apply but your award can change when you fill the form in and you could be asked to attend a medical. If your award is left then 20 weeks before it is due to end you will get a new pack to re-apply. My award is due to end in Nov 2018 but i got the new form to fill in and as my condition has got worse(nerve damage all over body with high pain relief and lidocaine infusion every month, damage bladder which means i have to catherterize at least 4 time a day and damaged bowel in which either i can not go at all or i have very little warning which has led to a few accidents). So i will have to put all this in and see what reply i get.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If you get PIP for say 3 years after 2 years they send you a form out to ask about any changes. It has 3 answers to each question which are no change, better or worse. The government say this is to speed up the time it takes when you re-apply but your award can change when you fill the form in and you could be asked to attend a medical. If your award is left then 20 weeks before it is due to end you will get a new pack to re-apply. My award is due to end in Nov 2018 but i got the new form to fill in and as my condition has got worse(nerve damage all over body with high pain relief and lidocaine infusion every month, damage bladder which means i have to catherterize at least 4 time a day and damaged bowel in which either i can not go at all or i have very little warning which has led to a few accidents). So i will have to put all this in and see what reply i get.

Can I ask @leahkian ... a friend has lidocaine infusions for pain from a completely dead arm 29 years after breast radotherapy...she can only get 3 sessions of lidocaine infusions... have you got yours on a consistent, permanent basis? Do they help? -hers havent...

leahkian

Can I ask @leahkian ... a friend has lidocaine infusions for pain from a completely dead arm 29 years after breast radotherapy...she can only get 3 sessions of lidocaine infusions... have you got yours on a consistent, permanent basis? Do they help? -hers havent...
Yes i get mine once a month or at the most 6 weeks for the past 2 years and also have lidocaine patches at home which i use 2 a day, you have them on for 12 hours and then need 12 hours off them. The infusions do not take away the pain away but dampen it for 10-12 days but they are now thinking about upping the dose and i am on a lot of strong pain killers and other medication. At best my pain score is 7 out of 10 when its at its worse the pain is that bad that i cry. Hope this helps but it just goes to show what diabetes can do that you do not know about until your BS go back to normal

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
pip is paid for2 things moving about and personnel care.
moving about if your ok walking and hae no difficulty planning your travel or suffer serious issues that would make indepent travel dangerous you wont get any points.
personnel care apart from the risk of hypos do you actually suffer from nightime hypos. if you can dress wash cook and self care and dont put yourself at risk doing so you will score 0 points.
i get lower rate care and higher rate mobility on dla it was awarded for life. however im dreading my move to pip when it happens. i have serious arthritis, gout, heart problems,depression, morbid obesity hypertension and diabetes. i expect to be kick off when it happens.