Illness - temp basal?

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My house has been plagued with a cold!
Bg are running about 5-6mmol above normal and corrections aren’t really doing much about it. So I’m going to set a temp basal of 110% and will see how that goes.

My question is what does everyone else do? Do you use temp basal or have a set basal rate for when you’re poorly?

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

I have a temp basal when I am feeling under the weather.
The level depends on how far under I am feeling.
And of course, I do lads of tests and corrections during the day.

Hope your sniffles don’t last too long or morph into anything as drastic as man flu (which from your name, I assume would be tough ... but don’t want to make any assumptions)

Reactions: claire1991

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a temp basal when I am feeling under the weather.
The level depends on how far under I am feeling.
And of course, I do lads of tests and corrections during the day.

Hope your sniffles don’t last too long or morph into anything as drastic as man flu (which from your name, I assume would be tough ... but don’t want to make any assumptions)

thank you Helen, man flu would be impossible for me although I fear I may feel the effects from my other half!!

I shall stick to my temp basal rate then

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I put a temp basal on and test about every 90 minutes and correct as allowed by the pump.

hope you're feeling better soon @claire1991 :)

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I put a temp basal on and test about every 90 minutes and correct as allowed by the pump.

hope you're feeling better soon @claire1991 :)

@himtoo
Thank you still hasn’t came down any so I’ve been for a walk and will increase it a bit more if it hasn’t came down any.
Glad to hear people do the same thing

Reactions: himtoo

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@himtoo
Thank you still hasn’t came down any so I’ve been for a walk and will increase it a bit more if it hasn’t came down any.
Glad to hear people do the same thing

I have a sick day basal setting on the pump which I switch over to for illness.sometimes if that's not adequate I'll set a basal for a couple of hours at 115 percent.

Hope you feel better soon.

iHs

Both my partner and myself have been fairly bad with a form of flu that started off as a cold, then sweating buckets, feeling really weak (death warmed up) and staying in bed for many hours with no desire to eat any food, or drink tea
Or coffee and dealing with a painful hacking cough
My bg went up to 12mmol and didn't correct that well so ended up doing a 150% tbr for 24hrs to get myself down to 6mmol. Since the flu, I seem to be left with needing a significant increase in my basal rates which is a bit worrying.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Both my partner and myself have been fairly bad with a form of flu that started off as a cold, then sweating buckets, feeling really weak (death warmed up) and staying in bed for many hours with no desire to eat any food, or drink tea
Or coffee and dealing with a painful hacking cough
My bg went up to 12mmol and didn't correct that well so ended up doing a 150% tbr for 24hrs to get myself down to 6mmol. Since the flu, I seem to be left with needing a significant increase in my basal rates which is a bit worrying.

hope its sorted soon iHs

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do the same as @himtoo, I have found that a few times I've had to go as high as 200% for a day or two.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My house has been plagued with a cold!
Bg are running about 5-6mmol above normal and corrections aren’t really doing much about it. So I’m going to set a temp basal of 110% and will see how that goes.

My question is what does everyone else do? Do you use temp basal or have a set basal rate for when you’re poorly?

Hi Claire1991 I'm feeling bad at the moment too, full of man flu! Never really been ill since being on the pump 2 years ago until now.... I have just recently set a temp basal of +30% to see how that goes. My only issue is that knowing what to take to receive my symptoms!?... In the past my GP has just said bed rest and paracetamol but as I use a Dexcom G4 paracetamol is out the question.... Any tips? And hope you feel better soon :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hi @Postleneo -- just curious as why your consultant says no to paracetamol ( while pumping ) and using CGM

just not aware and it would assist my general D knowledge !!

hope you are feeling better soon
x

Reactions: porl69

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @Postleneo -- just curious as why your consultant says no to paracetamol ( while pumping ) and using CGM

just not aware and it would assist my general D knowledge !!

hope you are feeling better soon
x

Hi himtoo, wasn't my consultant but was Animas.... Had an issue with a G4 sensor previously as reading were well out and the sensor periodically failed to transmit readings. When I contacted Animas help line they advised that paracetamol should not be taken as that wiuld interfere with the G4 readings.... Hence to say - since then I have not taken any paracetamol.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
wow -- that is an important point for anyone on an animas cgm -- well pointed out !!!!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi himtoo, wasn't my consultant but was Animas.... Had an issue with a G4 sensor previously as reading were well out and the sensor periodically failed to transmit readings. When I contacted Animas help line they advised that paracetamol should not be taken as that wiuld interfere with the G4 readings.... Hence to say - since then I have not taken any paracetamol.

Sorry you’re feeling rough!
Also sorry that I haven’t a clue what you can take if not paracetamol. I take lemsips when I’ve got a cold but obviously that contains paracetamol.

Honey and lemon and bolus for the honey maybe?

Hope you feel better soon x

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry you’re feeling rough!
Also sorry that I haven’t a clue what you can take if not paracetamol. I take lemsips when I’ve got a cold but obviously that contains paracetamol.

Honey and lemon and bolus for the honey maybe?

Hope you feel better soon x

Cheers for that.... Honey and lemon... Might tray that one... Maybe even incorporate whisky and hot water to make a hot Toddie... That way the alcohol could also help with lowering many BS:D x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cheers for that.... Honey and lemon... Might tray that one... Maybe even incorporate whisky and hot water to make a hot Toddie... That way the alcohol could also help with lowering many BS:D x
Good enough excuse for me!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Claire1991 I'm feeling bad at the moment too, full of man flu! Never really been ill since being on the pump 2 years ago until now.... I have just recently set a temp basal of +30% to see how that goes. My only issue is that knowing what to take to receive my symptoms!?... In the past my GP has just said bed rest and paracetamol but as I use a Dexcom G4 paracetamol is out the question.... Any tips? And hope you feel better soon :)

I switched to aspirin since starting Dexcom. Paracetamol is just a pain killer, and it can help bring a fever down. So any other painkiller (ibeuprofen, aspirin, codeine whatever's availiable) and a cold compress will do the same thing, without screwing up your sensor. And actually, your sensor probably will survive paracetamol, it just shouldn't be relied upon while you are taking it.