Newly diagnosed, scared and confused

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly it's true that Brown contains as much carbs as white, it just release sugar a bit slower that's all it is. My nurse recommended porridge for breakfast which I had first few days, but when checked the label I was shocked to find out that it has 69% carbs, ( or was it 60?). I could have 4 slices of brown toast for that. I find breakfast is most tricky, apart from eggs I don't know what else to have.
I have coconut ‘porridge’ (not really porridge, not a grain in sight!) every morning with strawberries and cream :hungry:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
High meat content sausages, bacon, mushrooms, and fried tomatoes?
Nice one :) , but I can't eat meat first thing in the morning. Beside, I'd rather spend a few more minutes in bed then get cooking in the kitchen. Only when I stay in a hotel then I might have full English, nearly never at home .

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have coconut ‘porridge’ (not really porridge, not a grain in sight!) every morning with strawberries and cream :hungry:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge
I might try, but I have high cholesterol as well so have to limit my fat consumption. I have no idea why I have both cholesterol and diabetes, I am tiny, strictly no junk food, not even take away, hardly buy pre -packed or processed food either, have no sweet tooth.. Why why why???

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries or nuts?
I would love that but feel like I would need something more substantial. I've been having eggs and spinach and don't feel bored with it, but I worry too many eggs can't be good for anybody.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love that but feel like I would need something more substantial. I've been having eggs and spinach and don't feel bored with it, but I worry too many eggs can't be good for anybody.

Why do you think too many eggs are bad?

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Such an interesting thread. So many of Red River's queries and questions echo my own; there is so much to learn and the more I learn the more I realise how much more there is to learn. So much seems to go in one ear and out the other at the moment! Such helpful advice here.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Why do you think too many eggs are bad?
I have always felt that eggs were the original 'convenience' food. They supply virtually all the vitamins you need except for Vit C. Before I knew anything about diabetes and in order to lose weight I ditched cereal and milk for breakfast in favour of a couple of eggs and never have any hunger pangs before lunchtime.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Simply I believe too much of anything is not good for nothing. Say 2 eggs/ day x 7 days = 14 / week and so on... ‍♂️

I eat 12 to 14 eggs a week and have done for a long time. No harm as yet. They are one of the best foods we can have as far as nutrients are concerned.... and cheap.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Such an interesting thread. So many of Red River's queries and questions echo my own; there is so much to learn and the more I learn the more I realise how much more there is to learn. So much seems to go in one ear and out the other at the moment! Such helpful advice here.
Thanks for this Gardengnome. I am sure everyone of us have pretty much same questions to ask, we just want to know all and everything about this disease to "win" it. I still have tons of questions I'd like to ask, such as:
1. If I am to have 50 gr carb a day, should I have some in each meal to save it for dinner?
2. I do love noodles. Which noodle is better for diabetes: rice noodle or egg noodle? ( more correctly: which one is worse?)
3. Can I have a whole apple in one go? I only dare to have a quarter or a half at most each time, if not a day.
4. When your bg raises, should you feel any different? Sometimes when I eat carb, I feel my heart beats faster then usual. Could it be bg or simply because I know I am not behaving?

Please share your thoughts with me whoever read this, you are all experts in our newbies eyes. Thank you.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat 12 to 14 eggs a week and have done for a long time. No harm as yet. They are one of the best foods we can have as far as nutrients are concerned.... and cheap.
To be honest I had egg and spinach for breakfast every day last week, and I can just carry on. This week I had weetabit a few times ( my nurse recommended). May as well go back to eggs then. If anything happens to you with your eggs, you will let me know won't you?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
1. If I am to have 50 gr carb a day, should I have some in each meal to save it for dinner?

The general opinion is to have as few carbs for breakfast as you can, some more for lunch, and the rest for evening meal. However, only testing will tell you what your tolerance is. My meter has told me zero carbs for breakfast but plenty of fat as, for me, this stops any morning rise in its tracks, keeps me nice and stable all morning, and gives me low levels before lunch. My meter has also told me I do not tolerate more than 20g carbs per sitting, no matter what type of carbs they are. Your meter will help you find your own personal tolerances.

3. Can I have a whole apple in one go? I only dare to have a quarter or a half at most each time, if not a day.

Again, a meter will tell you the anser to this. However, it is better to eat fruit as part of a meal and not as a stand-alone snack, and preferably with fat such as cream or yogurt.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I had egg and spinach for breakfast every day last week, and I can just carry on. This week I had weetabit a few times ( my nurse recommended). May as well go back to eggs then. If anything happens to you with your eggs, you will let me know won't you?

Yes, but as I have eaten eggs all my life they are unlikely to affect me now. :)

Weetabix is not a wise choice. My nurse recommended jacket potatoes with baked beans. Hahaha

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Yes, but as I have eaten eggs all my life they are unlikely to affect me now. :)

Weetabix is not a wise choice. My nurse recommended jacket potatoes with baked beans. Hahaha

I have 2 eggs every morning for breakfast and possibly an omelette for an evening meal once a week. I haven't started clucking yet !!!
On a more serious note though I'm horrified to learn of all the carbs in fruit.I adore the stuff.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My nurse suggested Weetabix would be good for breakfast but she did give me a meter and told me to test and she was horrified at my readings. I think it shot my blood sugars up by about 5 points. After that she agreed Weetabix did not suit me. I found scrambled eggs and mushrooms worked a lot better for me.It's so hard at the beginning but any small change you make is good. It took me 6 months to get the sort of control I wanted.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The general opinion is to have as few carbs for breakfast as you can, some more for lunch, and the rest for evening meal. However, only testing will tell you what your tolerance is. My meter has told me zero carbs for breakfast but plenty of fat as, for me, this stops any morning rise in its tracks, keeps me nice and stable all morning, and gives me low levels before lunch. My meter has also told me I do not tolerate more than 20g carbs per sitting, no matter what type of carbs they are. Your meter will help you find your own personal tolerances.

Again, a meter will tell you the anser to this. However, it is better to eat fruit as part of a meal and not as a stand-alone snack, and preferably with fat such as cream or yogurt.
Thanks for your advice. Now I have more questions for you I am afraid .
1. Why have fruit with meal as meal itself contains carb? More carb from fruit surely adds up the total and therefor might have too much carb in one go. Also how do you have fruit as part of a meal? You cook fruit in or have fruit straight after a meal instead of puddings? ( because I always have fruit as snack)
2. Why having fruit with cream or yogurt? How does that help?
And yes, my nurse even said I still can have ice cream or bit of cake as a treat, but I haven't dared.... Very confusing... I saw a GP who advised me to stick with what the nurse told me to do... Well, that't why I am less careful with carb now..

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My nurse suggested Weetabix would be good for breakfast but she did give me a meter and told me to test and she was horrified at my readings. I think it shot my blood sugars up by about 5 points. After that she agreed Weetabix did not suit me. I found scrambled eggs and mushrooms worked a lot better for me.It's so hard at the beginning but any small change you make is good. It took me 6 months to get the sort of control I wanted.
Oh gosh,, I won't touch weetabix now... What happens to you was pretty scary.. Back to eggs that it is! I haven't bought a meter. Will wait for a bit longer as I am going on holiday. Trying to fool myself, but hey... I am on a marathon... :)