Feeling annoyed!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I am really confused, woke up to 8.8, still not put anything in my mouth for the day, been off shopping for fresh veg, lacto free milk etc, came home, took bloods now they have shot to 11.2, don't have a clues what's going on? From 6.4 last night to 11.2 whilst fasting, anyone know what's happening.

It is your liver dumping glucose.

In normal non-diabetic people hormones trigger the liver to dump glucose from its stores when glucose levels are low (lower than normal that is). These hormones then trigger the pancreas to produce insulin. The insulin sorts out the dumped glucose by pushing it into cells for use as energy, and blood glucose levels become balanced again with no significant rise in blood glucose. The liver is then triggered to stop dumping. This is a normal, natural phenomena and happens to everyone.

In most T2s the system breaks down. The hormones sense when our blood glucose is lower than our bodies are used to, they trigger the release of liver glucose and this enters the blood stream. However, when the hormones trigger the pancreas to release insulin, this insulin cannot push the glucose into our cells because we are resistant to insulin doing this (insulin resistance). Therefore the dumped glucose remains in our blood stream until such time as either we eat again.

If you want to stop this awful morning rise I suggest you have some fat and zero carbs as soon as you can after getting up. I find a decaf coffee with cream solves my issues (but my numbers were never as high as yours). A couple of boiled eggs might also do the trick, or a big chunk of fatty cheese, but again, zero carbs and plenty of fat.

This phenomena should stop when your insulin resistance has all but gone.

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
It is your liver dumping glucose.

In normal non-diabetic people hormones trigger the liver to dump glucose from its stores when glucose levels are low (lower than normal that is). These hormones then trigger the pancreas to produce insulin. The insulin sorts out the dumped glucose by pushing it into cells for use as energy, and blood glucose levels become balanced again with no significant rise in blood glucose. The liver is then triggered to stop dumping. This is a normal, natural phenomena and happens to everyone.

In most T2s the system breaks down. The hormones sense when our blood glucose is lower than our bodies are used to, they trigger the release of liver glucose and this enters the blood stream. However, when the hormones trigger the pancreas to release insulin, this insulin cannot push the glucose into our cells because we are resistant to insulin doing this (insulin resistance). Therefore the dumped glucose remains in our blood stream until such time as either we eat again.

If you want to stop this awful morning rise I suggest you have some fat and zero carbs as soon as you can after getting up. I find a decaf coffee with cream solves my issues (but my numbers were never as high as yours). A couple of boiled eggs might also do the trick, or a big chunk of fatty cheese, but again, zero carbs and plenty of fat.

This phenomena should stop when your insulin resistance has all but gone.

Thank you, it will be coffee and cream in the morning, for lunch I cooked spinach, peeled quartered and sliced courgette, 3 cloves of garlic a pinch of black pepper and a heaped spoonful of Creme fraiche with 2 poached eggs and 2 kippers, hopefully the creme fraiche will do the job.
fe98e6fa24d02e1cfc03517665cec4bb.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, it will be coffee and cream in the morning, for lunch I cooked spinach, peeled quartered and sliced courgette, 3 cloves of garlic a pinch of black pepper and a heaped spoonful of Creme fraiche with 2 poached eggs and 2 kippers, hopefully the creme fraiche will do the job.
mmm that looks great

Reactions: Greg1957

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You, my man, are an artist. I think you mistook the creme fraiche for creme de la creme!

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
lol don't encourage me, or I might start taking a picture of all my low carb meals :)

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
My thanks to everyone who has sprung to my aid, I have learnt more in the last 48 hours than I had in the last 14 years since diagnoses, I have been far to noisy here, so will try to calm myself down a bit, I have moved from being "Annoyed" to the new world of "Hope"

So far I have learnt that a low carb high fat diet can slowly get my blood sugars down, and I have received guidance in relation to what the best foods are, that I can expect a rise in blood sugars in the morning until my liver is clear of all that nasty glucose containing fat, and that if I fast, the liver will kick out even more, to stop this I must eat fat without carbs as soon as I wake.

But I have learnt much more than this, I no longer feel on my own in what has been a very unsettling sugar rich world, that their are kind people who have been travelling the same road, they have found answers, and they are more than happy to pass them on. I have found foodies here, Alexandra, my dinner table is always open to you.... but the wife says for dinner only lol.

Yes I am delighted to be a member of this forum, and intend to continue in the spirit you have all shown me, and who knows, perhaps in the future I might be able to pass this help forward,

I will not be totally quiet, I intend to develop and photograph low carb meals for the benefit of members, certain in the knowledge that if I make a mistake, someone will draw this to my attention.

Thank you
Greg

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now I am really confused, woke up to 8.8, still not put anything in my mouth for the day, been off shopping for fresh veg, lacto free milk etc, came home, took bloods now they have shot to 11.2, don't have a clues what's going on? From 6.4 last night to 11.2 whilst fasting, anyone know what's happening.
Imo you tried the right tactic in continuing your overnight fast when you got a high reading in the morning. This is exactly what I do, and so far it has worked fine for me. 2 or 3 hours after the initial test my bg has fallen nicely and I eat breakfast. HOWEVER it can also happen that the body perceives fasting as a stress that requires it to release extra bg. (Just as the blood pressure rises in response to or anticipation of stress.) This has happened to me too. So if and when fasting just seems to be making things worse, eat!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Imo you tried the right tactic in continuing your overnight fast when you got a high reading in the morning. This is exactly what I do, and so far it has worked fine for me. 2 or 3 hours after the initial test my bg has fallen nicely and I eat breakfast. HOWEVER it can also happen that the body perceives fasting as a stress that requires it to release extra bg. (Just as the blood pressure rises in response to or anticipation of stress.) This has happened to me too. So if and when fasting just seems to be making things worse, eat!

Alexandra - your morning rise recovers quickly because you are not diabetic. Your insulin is much more efficient than an insulin resistant T2. In IR T2s the rise will continue until they eat. The less IR you are, the quicker your insulin with stop that rise.

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Took bloods before evening meal, down to 8.00 dinner was sliced bean and broccoli soothed in butter and double cream with butter sweated asparagus and home made tandoori masala chicken. Will take bloods at nine and report back,
99db9e8e6ebab8d7b297d6822b97e83c.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't need to panic.
My method was.
Skip breakfast completely just have a tea or coffee.
Have lunch and dinner. Eat well - home cooked foods mainly meat and green veg, eggs, bacon cheese nuts avocado, pork scratchings for a snack if needed. Greens have got carbs but not too many so you can have those if you want. Try to avoid anything sugary and starchy they won't be good for your blood sugar levels. For pud I sometimes have raspberries and double cream or some Oppo ice cream (very low carb).
Love the raspberries and double cream combo but I add 2 tablespoons of flaxseed - very filling

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Took bloods before evening meal, down to 8.00 dinner was sliced bean and broccoli soothed in butter and double cream with butter sweated asparagus and home made tandoori masala chicken. Will take bloods at nine and report back,
99db9e8e6ebab8d7b297d6822b97e83c.jpg

Something weird happening again, just took my bloods, they have fallen to 4.9 I don't think I have ever been this low, had a great dinner, and finished off with raspberries and double cream, starting to question if I took my medication once or twice today, was a bit confused earlier, yet my mouth is tasting sweet? Strange. This learning is throwing curved balls again.

Will take it again in an hour,

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alexandra - your morning rise recovers quickly because you are not diabetic. Your insulin is much more efficient than an insulin resistant T2. In IR T2s the rise will continue until they eat. The less IR you are, the quicker your insulin with stop that rise.
Bluetit, it has happened to me to wake up with a normal bg of eg 4.7 and then ruin it by failing to eat for 2-3 hours, only to test again and see something in the high 5s. So I am planning in future to eat at least a little something straight away next time that happens. Sadly, at present things are the other way round - waking with the high 5 and getting down to the low 5s or high 4s 2-3 hours later.
Something weird happening again, just took my bloods, they have fallen to 4.9 I don't think I have ever been this low, had a great dinner, and finished off with raspberries and double cream, starting to question if I took my medication once or twice today, was a bit confused earlier, yet my mouth is tasting sweet? Strange. This learning is throwing curved balls again.

Make a note and wait to see what happens tomorrow...and tomorrow ...and tomorrow. IMO in home testing no one result means very much.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bluetit, it has happened to me to wake up with a normal bg of eg 4.7 and then ruin it by failing to eat for 2-3 hours, only to test again and see something in the high 5s. So I am planning in future to eat at least a little something straight away next time that happens. Sadly, at present things are the other way round - waking with the high 5 and getting down to the low 5s or high 4s 2-3 hours later.

Make a note and wait to see what happens tomorrow...and tomorrow ...and tomorrow. IMO in home testing no one result means very much.
Not optimistic but realistic! I well remember, not very long ago when I was even newer to all this than I am now, writing agonised posts in response to some readings on my very first day of testing that seemed to me both disappointing and inexplicable. Someone told me to look at trends rather than single readings. I felt indignant. Yes, but on waking it said 4.9, I was so happy, but later it shot up to 7.8, OMG, and I'd eaten so few carbs - why? why? why?...It mattered, it was science, it was on my meter, it was TRUTH, it had to be possible to make sense of it somehow ... Now, I still get disappointed and puzzled, but ... life goes on, there is always another day, more readings, more hope, slightly different puzzles, new lines of thought to follow...

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So, I took all of my tablets as prescribed, cut out all sugar, ate fresh vegetables and my meat mainly consisted of chicken minus skin, or fish. But my diabetes has only got worse, then I found out about insulin resistance, like many I went head first into researching this phenomenon only to find that the most probable cause of my continued demise was the bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, turnip, etc I did not know how damaging carbo's could be. My bloods ranged from 11-15 my highest was 26 after a Chinese takeaway, meanwhile, I visited my diabetic nurse, who told me that my heart is the same as someone who has already had a heart attack, that I could die at any time, this came 4 years after my younger brother died in the chair, the diabetes had hardened his heart muscles.

Her prescription was to raise my medication still further. But being armed with the no carb info that I had found online, I stopped nearly all carbo's including root veg and my favourite mushy peas, I have a little porridge (heard it would cut my cholesterol) with fresh blueberries or raspberries for breakfast, lunch is generally avocado and kippers, and my evening meal is lean chicken or fish with piles of leafy veg, sprouts, courgettes broccoli asparagus etc. I started this on the 25th October,

In one month I have lost ten pounds, my glucose levels have steadily declined ( but the morning reading is often higher than my night time reading) my bloods are now between 6.4 and 8.4 and still dropping. I have been diabetic for 14 years, and I had to find the solution by hearing about insulin resistance and hitting the internet. This is not good, is it to late to improve my chances re this
Timebomb of having a fatal heart attack at any time, can I do anything to make the heart muscle a bit more flexible? I am annoyed that even today the powers that be do not highlight insulin resistance how it can lead to diabetes, and how to tackle what is a nationwide if not a worldwide problem. Why are companies allowed to sell foods that can lead us to an early death. Does profit come before people?

For me they can stick the bread from heaven, along with pies pasties rice pasta root veg and processed food where their mother never kissed them. (Being Cornish, surviving without pasties is hard)

Today I have to resist the urge to go up to someone with a shopping trolley full of carbo's and processed foods, and tell them to do some research before they put that stuff in their mouths or the mouths of their children, I don't ........fearing a punch on the nose, but someone needs to before it's to late for them.

Yep, annoyed, frustrated, perhaps a little angry

End of rant, thanks for reading, so about this heart of mine, anyone got any idea's?
Greg angry is to say the least, I have been type 1 for approximately 44 years and one thing I’ve learned or accepted is just to get on with it, it is now being to grind me down but I still look at life in the terms of carbs, hypos, excercise, etc, I can’t stop and that takes up all my waking and sleeping hours, I found out when having a sneak at my records I have a enlarged heart, I can’t afford to worry about it, I’ll probably get passive cancer as I spent my working life employed with smokers. I can’t worry about it, I could get knocked down due to poor vision but I can’t worry about it. My life and time is precious to me but I’ve been luckier than most and so I need to get on with it. I get angry, frustrated and hurt often asking for medical help, social care, benefits but hey it’s even more reason to get fired up and get on with it. Do not get hung up with too many numbers, especially others numbers, some people’s numbers, levels and control are phenomenal but that’s not me, I’m three or four stone overweight and I’m clinically/ morbidly obese according to the sheets but it’s not me, I get on with it ( life) and it’s real time not a height weight chart. I don’t know if what I have written has come over well, but it’s not or ever intended to be cheeky it’s just a reflection of me, Greg welcome to the forum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Did you do a re-test on a clean finger? If ever you get a reading that is outside your normal range for that time of day it is worth doing at least one re-test if not two. We all get rogue readings from time to time due to contamination of finger or strip, or just meter playing up.

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a very encouraging thread! Just picked it up from the regular email. I am only a preD, been really struggling this last year and a half to reduce carbs and reduce insulin resistance and reduce weight. Now you have pointed out that it is perfectly possible to like good food AND eat fewer carbs with it - so thanks!
A phrase I picked up somewhere about veggie carbs: the sequence goes ...leaves...shoots...fruit...roots.....from lower carbs to higher carbs. Not infallible but a useful mnemonic.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a very encouraging thread! Just picked it up from the regular email. I am only a preD, been really struggling this last year and a half to reduce carbs and reduce insulin resistance and reduce weight. Now you have pointed out that it is perfectly possible to like good food AND eat fewer carbs with it - so thanks!
A phrase I picked up somewhere about veggie carbs: the sequence goes ...leaves...shoots...fruit...roots.....from lower carbs to higher carbs. Not infallible but a useful mnemonic.
Is fruit really lower carb than roots? Maybe the two could be melded as in froots?

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was your bgl when you retested?

When I was new I also struggled with the dawn phenomena... it can be really frustrating! So I tested hourly even through the night to find out what was going on with my blood sugars! I discovered I was perfect and stable (in the 4s) until about 5am, then I would spike. So I was high from 5am until I woke up. I found eating a block of cheese before bed did help block the rise in the morning. I only tested through the night for a week to find the trend. Once I got into ketosis and RE educated my body I have found I no longer get dawn phenomena... which is great.

P.s your food looks yummy! I don't have time to make mine look gourmet! Well done.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My partner has just pointed out to me that we go with the 5% rule i.e. carbs less 5% per 100 gs.
I do now occasionally have some less than 10% per 100gs but not everyday or even every week

Oh and BTW if you are a coffee lover then you have it with double cream or there is something called bulletproof coffee. I hope that I've got this correct as I just can't stomach unsweetened coffee so don't drink it.
Thanks for mentioning the 5% rule, @woodywhippet61 (others have too). I've passed this on to elderly relatives I'm staying with at Christmas and who wanted guidance when shopping - much easier for them to grasp.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh and BTW if you are a coffee lover then you have it with double cream or there is something called bulletproof coffee. I hope that I've got this correct as I just can't stomach unsweetened coffee so don't drink it.
I found in Morrison's cartons of Extra Thick double cream and thought that might contain even less carb than ordinary double. But no - exactly the same.