Type 2.....ideas would be appreciated

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, i am type 2 and know what foods to avoid but am struggling to get variety into my diet and as a result am finding it hard to keep my glucose level down particularly when at work. I have salad for lunch, but tend to find i am hungry a lot ( get lots of headaches) and graze all day often eating what isnt great because it's too hand in the office. Any ideas would be appreciated particularly for snacks Thank you

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Hello Caz B,
Many of us have had that dreadful "runaway appetite", it's a symptom of the diabetes. Controlling your carbohydrate intake will help. Nuts such as walnuts (getting to be at their best now) pecans, Brazil nuts, almonds and macadamia are all good but you will have to watch the calories. Home made soup is good; blueberries, raspberries and strawberries in moderation. I like the almond bread in the low carb bread recipes on this website, and frittata sliced and eaten hot or cold. It's worth experimenting with recipes using almond or coconut flour as they help to satisfy your hunger.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you aren't getting enough fat to keep your appetite sated.. Its called low carb high fat for a reason.. one doesn't really work anywhere near as well without the other.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you eating breakfast?
Does you salad accompany chunks of meat to keep you feeling full? Eggs and cheese might do as well, but they might be best kept for snacks.
Lidl protein rolls are handy for sandwich substitutes if you like them.

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you eating breakfast?
Does you salad accompany chunks of meat to keep you feeling full? Eggs and cheese might do as well, but they might be best kept for snacks.
Lidl protein rolls are handy for sandwich substitutes if you like them.
Yes but have weetabix which i don't think is that great. Will try branflakes or scrambled eggs......any other ideas would be appreciated. Diabetic nurse suggested porridge but don't like this at all x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but have weetabix which i don't think is that great. Will try branflakes or scrambled eggs......any other ideas would be appreciated. Diabetic nurse suggested porridge but don't like this at all x
bacon?

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Caz B,
Many of us have had that dreadful "runaway appetite", it's a symptom of the diabetes. Controlling your carbohydrate intake will help. Nuts such as walnuts (getting to be at their best now) pecans, Brazil nuts, almonds and macadamia are all good but you will have to watch the calories. Home made soup is good; blueberries, raspberries and strawberries in moderation. I like the almond bread in the low carb bread recipes on this website, and frittata sliced and eaten hot or cold. It's worth experimenting with recipes using almond or coconut flour as they help to satisfy your hunger.
Thank you....do have nuts sometimes and have some berries with cream after my evening meal. Will take a look at the recipes. X

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have tried Lidl rolls but have trouble getting them at times x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes have bacon and eggs some nights for dinner and every sunday go to the cafe for an english breakfast without the bread. It's at work i struggle most. X
I was thinking more breakfast.. although personally I never have breakfast just a tea or coffee.. you could give that a try and extend your overnight fast. I found it helped a lot with blood sugar control..

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was thinking more breakfast.. although personally I never have breakfast just a tea or coffee.. you could give that a try and extend your overnight fast. I found it helped a lot with blood sugar control..
I am always really hungry first thing but am wondering if my hunger is down to my sugar level being higher than it ought to be, and i get banging headaches when hungry. My boss is finding her sugar level has gone up a lot and her doctor is considering insulin....i am trying to avoid going down this route. X

hippocampus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, Diabetic nurses love porridge. May take longer to digest than a bowl of coco pops but is still going to fill your blood with glucose in the end!

Reactions: OrsonKartt

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am always really hungry first thing but am wondering if my hunger is down to my sugar level being higher than it ought to be, and i get banging headaches when hungry. My boss is finding her sugar level has gone up a lot and her doctor is considering insulin....i am trying to avoid going down this route. X
Have you upped your fat and salt if low carbing? Fat for satiety.. less hunger and salt for the headache.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I always found breakfast the most awkward initially but soon discovered smoked cheese slices and dried bacon slices (no carbs to speak of). The Lidl rolls are excellent; the also freeze well and are great value for money. Avocado is good any time of day and small bit of may seems to make no difference for me. Weetabix was/is for me an absolute no-no. If I felt I had to eat cereal (through pure greed and no common sense!) it was bran flakes as they had the lowest carb/sugar count...but still sure to increase the blood sugar. Nuts...eggs...cheese...cold meat...small tins of John West flavoured tuna (chilli's good)...mackerel in mustard...90% cocoa chocolate...trial and error stuff.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always found breakfast the most awkward initially but soon discovered smoked cheese slices and dried bacon slices (no carbs to speak of). The Lidl rolls are excellent; the also freeze well and are great value for money. Avocado is good any time of day and small bit of may seems to make no difference for me. Weetabix was/is for me an absolute no-no. If I felt I had to eat cereal (through pure greed and no common sense!) it was bran flakes as they had the lowest carb/sugar count...but still sure to increase the blood sugar. Nuts...eggs...cheese...cold meat...small tins of John West flavoured tuna (chilli's good)...mackerel in mustard...90% cocoa chocolate...trial and error stuff.
I second avocado any time of day. No chips of course. Right out of the skin or with celery bits

Reactions: OrsonKartt

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Protein and fat for breakfast, protein, fat and salad greens for lunch, protein, fat and vegs for dinner. If you eat enough fats, you likely won't need to snack. My constant hunger and food cravings went away when I got rid of my high carb diet and cranked up the fats.

tubamanandy

I used to be horrendous for snacking/feeling hungry etc etc until I got my carbs down and my PROTEIN & fats up - really solved all of my hunger issues

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Olives , chew sugar free gum ,string cheese , tuna that comes in a packet -dont have to be refridgerated , just have a spoon on ya..