Feeling annoyed!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why have crême fraiche at 1.9 when you can have double cream at 1.6? I may be missing something here, but imo the appelation "crême fraiche" is clever marketing aimed at making people think this cream is less fattening and more healthy.
Forgot to say i often have it instead of yoghurt as its lower carb.. although as you say cream with raspberries is just as nice.. makes a change though.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am SO impressed! Such devoted research in one so busy!!! Puts the paid scientists to shame. Your findings make me wonder, if I got up at 5am (or perhaps 4.45) would I escape the dawn phenomenon or would it re-schedule? Does it come at a certain time of day, or at a certain point in one's timetable? I was also interested to see that you eat late night cheese. I do this too, as well as eating pretty low carb, and I don't have too much of a problem with the dawn ph. My levels do rise more than I like later in the day, though. Do you have normal levels all day?
Now I do... but it took a few months.
I also just had a baby, normally I am insulin controlled gestational diabetes (which turned to type 2) however this time I needed no meds at all for the complete duration (normally would be on about 40 novorapid for breakfast and 36 for dinner!) I have a lovely healthy happy baby, so low carb is safe in pregnancy too.
I went on the posts about what bgl were in the morning on here and read all the posts, we all seem to work really well together and help each other... it was through here that I discovered the cheese before bed thing. Many people had tips on how to tackle dawn phenomena. I did intermittent fasting for a few months but I don't need to any more.
TBH I feel fantastic... better than I did pre diet, I know everyone is different and unique so what works for me is special to me... but at the end of the day this is our health and nobody is going to care about it as much as we do... that's why I tested, yes I suffered at first but it paid off.

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Tonight I sliced a pointy pepper, 6 kalamata olives and chopped one whole romaine lettuce, these were gently fried with butter, I cheated and used garlic granules, and a pinch of black pepper, I then splashed it with cider vinegar. In my air cooker ( great find) I cooked two chicken thighs skin on.
Chicken took 30 minutes, side dish 15 minutes, total cost approx £1.45
Bloods 1 hour after have collapsed to 4.7 this is a worry, my yo yo effect is I think to big, I am not snacking, my waking bloods are around 11. coffee and cream got it down to 8, a light lunch downed it to 7.4 and now it is 4.7, the same happened last night. I must of had a lot of fat around my liver I think, can't wait for it to settle.

Making low carb eating fun is spurring me onwards. Each day I am setting myself targets on making dishes with different flavours, it keeps my little brain active, I enjoy posting pictures, but for some reason my picture editor has changed, I cannot upload pictures to the page, yet I can upload to my avatar in profile. If anyone knows what has gone wrong I would love to know.

Thanks to everyone that is contributing.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have cream at least 4 times a day in my coffee.. sometimes a bit of sourness is nice for example in the pork stroganof hubby made last night. I think double cream would have made it a tiny bit too rich..then again... there's always next time.

You could have left some double cream out to sour.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight I sliced a pointy pepper, 6 kalamata olives and chopped one whole romaine lettuce, these were gently fried with butter, I cheated and used garlic granules, and a pinch of black pepper, I then splashed it with cider vinegar. In my air cooker ( great find) I cooked two chicken thighs skin on.
Chicken took 30 minutes, side dish 15 minutes, total cost approx £1.45
Bloods 1 hour after have collapsed to 4.7 this is a worry, my yo yo effect is I think to big, I am not snacking, my waking bloods are around 11. coffee and cream got it down to 8, a light lunch downed it to 7.4 and now it is 4.7, the same happened last night. I must of had a lot of fat around my liver I think, can't wait for it to settle.

Making low carb eating fun is spurring me onwards. Each day I am setting myself targets on making dishes with different flavours, it keeps my little brain active, I enjoy posting pictures, but for some reason my picture editor has changed, I cannot upload pictures to the page, yet I can upload to my avatar in profile. If anyone knows what has gone wrong I would love to know.

Thanks to everyone that is contributing.
North Africa have some low carb dishes that are full of flavour! Algerian food is better than Moroccan. Today I made shakshouka... green, yellow and red pepper (a quarter of each) sliced (or diced) and cooked with onion and garlic, then add a fresh tomato and simmer, I use coriander (fresh) salt pepper and raz-el hanout as my spices. Once the tomato disintegrates, I crack a couple of eggs over the top and simmer until the sauce is thick.
Another favorite of mine is m'twem, it is a chicken and meatball soup... I make muffins with almond flour to go with it. (Dad is a farmers son so always taught to eat soup with bread.)
They also have lovely sardine recipes and tajines from Algeria aren't sweet like Morocco. Basically low carb hot pots! They aren't too hot or spicy either, it relies on the flavours of the food rather than burn your mouth off hot
TBH I don't know how to upload pics either... so well done if you work it out.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cannot upload pictures to the page, yet I can upload to my avatar in profile.
I can't even upload an avatar. Two members kindly tried to help, but I still can't do it. I am tormented by envy of all the brilliant avatars posted by other people, together with their fab results and the delicious carbs they can manage to eat without bad consequences!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now I do... but it took a few months.
I also just had a baby, normally I am insulin controlled gestational diabetes (which turned to type 2) however this time I needed no meds at all for the complete duration (normally would be on about 40 novorapid for breakfast and 36 for dinner!) I have a lovely healthy happy baby, so low carb is safe in pregnancy too.
I went on the posts about what bgl were in the morning on here and read all the posts, we all seem to work really well together and help each other... it was through here that I discovered the cheese before bed thing. Many people had tips on how to tackle dawn phenomena. I did intermittent fasting for a few months but I don't need to any more.
TBH I feel fantastic... better than I did pre diet, I know everyone is different and unique so what works for me is special to me... but at the end of the day this is our health and nobody is going to care about it as much as we do... that's why I tested, yes I suffered at first but it paid off.
Would you like to tell me roughly what you might eat in a day?

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
North Africa have some low carb dishes that are full of flavour! Algerian food is better than Moroccan. Today I made shakshouka... green, yellow and red pepper (a quarter of each) sliced (or diced) and cooked with onion and garlic, then add a fresh tomato and simmer, I use coriander (fresh) salt pepper and raz-el hanout as my spices. Once the tomato disintegrates, I crack a couple of eggs over the top and simmer until the sauce is thick.
Another favorite of mine is m'twem, it is a chicken and meatball soup... I make muffins with almond flour to go with it. (Dad is a farmers son so always taught to eat soup with bread.)
They also have lovely sardine recipes and tajines from Algeria aren't sweet like Morocco. Basically low carb hot pots! They aren't too hot or spicy either, it relies on the flavours of the food rather than burn your mouth off hot
TBH I don't know how to upload pics either... so well done if you work it out.

I think that a few of us need to create our own recipe thread, I know nothing about Algerian or Moroccan food,

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you like to tell me roughly what you might eat in a day?
In the beginning I didn't eat much at all especially with the fasting.
Then as my Bgl can down I was able to add more as I could tolerate it. When I added a new food I would test hourly afterwards
In the beginning I would have poached egg on asparagus... I found that after eating asparagus my Bgl would come down fantastically. That would be it for the day, I limited myself to 400 calories a day but rarely reached that! Sometimes I would only eat a carrot for the day! (But stopped that when I saw that it rose my Bgl)
Then added a second meal (it took almost 3 weeks of that 1 meal a day and I had withdrawal symptoms for 2 of those weeks) I would have a stir fry at night time... that was peppers, onion, mushroom and spinach or asparagus. If I could find the wild salmon I would flake in a little of that too or salad.
I kept a log of what foods effected me and how as some foods raise your Bgl over a longer period of time... however in the beginning my Bgl were a lot worse than yours... I was up in the 20s struggling to get them into the teens, it took a month to go from 20s to single digit result then a further 3 months to get them from the high single digits (8s and 9s) to constantly under 7. By month 6 I felt like a failure if my Bgl rose to the 6s after eating...
I did add m'twem in month 2 as one of my meals (still only 1 or 2 meals a day)... however I only ate when I was hungry... once bgl dropped to "normal" levels the hunger went away so I then had to force myself to eat at least once a day.
Once I was comfortable I would make the muffins... I also found a 90% chocolate bar with low sugars, I made a mousse with that to stave the sweet urges, I would have a small pot with blueberries (only a few).
Now I have a cup of tea for breakfast with Greek yogurt and some nuts or cheese with some nuts.
Lunch is omelet with cheese, or I make caulslaw with tinned fish (sardines or tuna)
Dinner would be shakshouka or m'twem or cauliflower broccoli cheese (using cream instead of white flour based sauce.) I may do a stew or tajine without adding root veg, another would be split pea soup or lentil soup... both don't raise me. Salad is a huge thing to have too and just mix it up a bit with either cheese, fish or chicken (cooked in mustard is fabulous).
Most people would probably be able to tolerate more foods than me, they definitely would struggle to do what I did... but I did it for me and for my health.

Occasionally I did slip up and have something I shouldn't... I am only human, but I discovered I no longer liked the sweets as they became sickly... however once I understood my body and how it worked it was pretty simple to get back into ketosis and back on my diet and the slip up just helped motivate me (seeing as it would effect me for a week!).

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Had a little cheese at bedtime to try to break the morning phenomenon, bloods were 9.4 this morning, so ate two hard boiled eggs with butter and black pepper applied to the yolk. Good news, I started this last Saturday in Ernest, had a weigh in this morning, could not wait until Saturday, I have lost 4lb wood woop! BMI was 33.5 now 33.05 never believed that eating butter and cream would take weight off me, amazing!

Pre lunch bloods 9.1 lunch will be a piece of cheese today.

Hmm the cheese might not have been enough, pre dinner bloods 8.4

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the beginning I didn't eat much at all especially with the fasting.
Then as my Bgl can down I was able to add more as I could tolerate it. When I added a new food I would test hourly afterwards
In the beginning I would have poached egg on asparagus... I found that after eating asparagus my Bgl would come down fantastically. That would be it for the day, I limited myself to 400 calories a day but rarely reached that! Sometimes I would only eat a carrot for the day! (But stopped that when I saw that it rose my Bgl)
Then added a second meal (it took almost 3 weeks of that 1 meal a day and I had withdrawal symptoms for 2 of those weeks) I would have a stir fry at night time... that was peppers, onion, mushroom and spinach or asparagus. If I could find the wild salmon I would flake in a little of that too or salad.
I kept a log of what foods effected me and how as some foods raise your Bgl over a longer period of time... however in the beginning my Bgl were a lot worse than yours... I was up in the 20s struggling to get them into the teens, it took a month to go from 20s to single digit result then a further 3 months to get them from the high single digits (8s and 9s) to constantly under 7. By month 6 I felt like a failure if my Bgl rose to the 6s after eating...
I did add m'twem in month 2 as one of my meals (still only 1 or 2 meals a day)... however I only ate when I was hungry... once bgl dropped to "normal" levels the hunger went away so I then had to force myself to eat at least once a day.
Once I was comfortable I would make the muffins... I also found a 90% chocolate bar with low sugars, I made a mousse with that to stave the sweet urges, I would have a small pot with blueberries (only a few).
Now I have a cup of tea for breakfast with Greek yogurt and some nuts or cheese with some nuts.
Lunch is omelet with cheese, or I make caulslaw with tinned fish (sardines or tuna)
Dinner would be shakshouka or m'twem or cauliflower broccoli cheese (using cream instead of white flour based sauce.) I may do a stew or tajine without adding root veg, another would be split pea soup or lentil soup... both don't raise me. Salad is a huge thing to have too and just mix it up a bit with either cheese, fish or chicken (cooked in mustard is fabulous).
Most people would probably be able to tolerate more foods than me, they definitely would struggle to do what I did... but I did it for me and for my health.

Occasionally I did slip up and have something I shouldn't... I am only human, but I discovered I no longer liked the sweets as they became sickly... however once I understood my body and how it worked it was pretty simple to get back into ketosis and back on my diet and the slip up just helped motivate me (seeing as it would effect me for a week!).
What a fascinating post, and extremely inspiring. Thanks very much for taking the trouble to write so much. What is m'twem? Did you have weight to lose? Like you, I don't feel very hungry most of the time and can easily inadvertently only eat twice a day, but as I am really under-weight, unfortunately I think I have to try and fit in three meals. Asparagus is a good idea, though I'm not sure it has as much effect on me as on you. You are eating some things I don't dare at present - tomato, onion, muffins, blueberries, split peas, even cauliflower and broccoli are a bit high in carbs for me. Unfortunately my bgs are so unpredictable, I can't really tell by testing which foods to avoid, so I just have to go on carb content and eat as few carbs as I can. Like you, I think it worthwhile to do almost anything for my health. The difficulty is finding out what!

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a fascinating post, and extremely inspiring. Thanks very much for taking the trouble to write so much. What is m'twem? Did you have weight to lose? Like you, I don't feel very hungry most of the time and can easily inadvertently only eat twice a day, but as I am really under-weight, unfortunately I think I have to try and fit in three meals. Asparagus is a good idea, though I'm not sure it has as much effect on me as on you. You are eating some things I don't dare at present - tomato, onion, muffins, blueberries, split peas, even cauliflower and broccoli are a bit high in carbs for me. Unfortunately my bgs are so unpredictable, I can't really tell by testing which foods to avoid, so I just have to go on carb content and eat as few carbs as I can. Like you, I think it worthwhile to do almost anything for my health. The difficulty is finding out what!
Muffins are my own low carb design... cheese, almond flour, eggs mustard and some herbs... I do sometimes add onion and garlic too, but obviously you would not add that.
M'twem is a soup from Algeria. I like to add and take away from recipes to suit my diet... as long as it tastes good!
I have never risen with green veg. But then everyone is different, I used to get annoyed when people tell me you can have something because it is (in their opinion) impossible to raise Bgl... yet I know it will badly effect me. So I won't question your list... onion is a root veg and I couldn't have tomato in the beginning either. Blueberries I google were OK and apparently are a super food for lowering bgl!
Have you kept a diary of bgl with the food? I did the same as when weaning a baby onto food- add one food at a time and then check to make sure they can tolerate it (for a baby it is to wait 24 hours to see if they react to it) for diabetic it would be to check Bgl, I did it hourly because some foods take longer to react, so it may be a certain food you ate earlier in the day caused a sudden unexplainable spike hours later... for one bad "treat", you may be reacting to it for a week. I added one at a time because of this, it may be another food you are reacting to rather than the one you think it is.
The only way to find out what you can and can't eat is by testing...

I honestly don't think weight has much to do with diabetes, yes it was nice to lose weight however being "over weight" doesn't guarantee you diabetes... it felt terrible to sit in hospital listening to someone boasting that the doctors are saying she is too fat and that they are surprised she doesn't have diabetes and how they keep testing her and she keeps coming back "clean"... yet there I am a lot smaller than her... diabetic! I don't like to think like that.

What I did read was that there is something wrong in our bodies which causes the beta cells to over work and die. The other beta cells then have a harder time trying to produce insulin to cover the basil line as well as the insulin needed to cover food... as well as then produce more beta cells to replace the dead ones! Those beta cells then get over worked and die etc etc etc... this is why the last blood test to change to show diabetes is actually the fasting bloods as it gives the beta cells time to tackle the glucose... however it doesn't give them time to produce a stock of insulin to cover breakfast or replenish the dead cells.
That's why I started fasting, to give the beta cells a rest. Since then I have been able to tolerate more foods.

That was my theory but then it doesn't take insulin resistance into account... I am not a scientist I do however like to research like a nerd. Lol.
Hope what I have learned helps someone else.... however there are plenty of variable because everyone is so unique people need to do what is right for them. No one size fits all unfortunately.

Reactions: Salvia

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
So, I took all of my tablets as prescribed, cut out all sugar, ate fresh vegetables and my meat mainly consisted of chicken minus skin, or fish. But my diabetes has only got worse, then I found out about insulin resistance, like many I went head first into researching this phenomenon only to find that the most probable cause of my continued demise was the bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, turnip, etc I did not know how damaging carbo's could be. My bloods ranged from 11-15 my highest was 26 after a Chinese takeaway, meanwhile, I visited my diabetic nurse, who told me that my heart is the same as someone who has already had a heart attack, that I could die at any time, this came 4 years after my younger brother died in the chair, the diabetes had hardened his heart muscles.

Her prescription was to raise my medication still further. But being armed with the no carb info that I had found online, I stopped nearly all carbo's including root veg and my favourite mushy peas, I have a little porridge (heard it would cut my cholesterol) with fresh blueberries or raspberries for breakfast, lunch is generally avocado and kippers, and my evening meal is lean chicken or fish with piles of leafy veg, sprouts, courgettes broccoli asparagus etc. I started this on the 25th October,

In one month I have lost ten pounds, my glucose levels have steadily declined ( but the morning reading is often higher than my night time reading) my bloods are now between 6.4 and 8.4 and still dropping. I have been diabetic for 14 years, and I had to find the solution by hearing about insulin resistance and hitting the internet. This is not good, is it to late to improve my chances re this
Timebomb of having a fatal heart attack at any time, can I do anything to make the heart muscle a bit more flexible? I am annoyed that even today the powers that be do not highlight insulin resistance how it can lead to diabetes, and how to tackle what is a nationwide if not a worldwide problem. Why are companies allowed to sell foods that can lead us to an early death. Does profit come before people? ",

For me they can stick the bread from heaven, along with pies pasties rice pasta root veg and processed food where their mother never kissed them. (Being Cornish, surviving without pasties is hard)

Today I have to resist the urge to go up to someone with a shopping trolley full of carbo's and processed foods, and tell them to do some research before they put that stuff in their mouths or the mouths of their children, I don't ........fearing a punch on the nose, but someone needs to before it's to late for them.

Yep, annoyed, frustrated, perhaps a little angry

End of rant, thanks for reading, so about this heart of mine, anyone got any idea's?
", I visited my diabetic nurse, who told me that my heart is the same as someone who has already had a heart attack, that I could die at any time, this came 4 years after my younger brother died in the chair, the diabetes had hardened his heart" I cannot believe that nurse said that to you. What a thing to say. Well done though for taking the bull by the horns and changing your eating habbits. Exercise will help strengthen the heart muscle. Brisk walk and speed up for 2 mins, slow down,then speed up again for another 2 mins just enough to make yourself a little out of breath but not so as you cannot speak.Riding a bike will help also. I had a heart attack 14 years ago. Nobody ever told me that I could die at anytime,let alone to a person who has never had one.

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
10.00 this morning despite cheese at bedtime, about to have 2 hard boiled eggs.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
10.00 this morning despite cheese at bedtime, about to have 2 hard boiled eggs.
Some other people on another thread were suggesting different things, the cheese worked for me but you may be different... some of them suggested changing dinner time, some changed waking patterns and breakfast Times etc... need to be flexible and see what works for you. May take a few weeks to work it out, but you'll get there, if you are on medication you need to check if they will effect Bgl! Some vitamins do raise me even though they are tiny... I would check everything to find out why you are still rising even with carb cutting.

Reactions: Greg1957

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Some other people on another thread were suggesting different things, the cheese worked for me but you may be different... some of them suggested changing dinner time, some changed waking patterns and breakfast Times etc... need to be flexible and see what works for you. May take a few weeks to work it out, but you'll get there, if you are on medication you need to check if they will effect Bgl! Some vitamins do raise me even though they are tiny... I would check everything to find out why you are still rising even with carb cutting.

Thank you for your support, I guess it is early days yet, I am encouraged that the weight is falling off, I still take 2 glucophage (metformin) per day, but I stopped gliclizide 6 days ago. I suppose I still have a lot of fatty stuff around the liver and pancreas, and hope that my high morning levels are because of this, I was most definitely on a downward spiral, indeed only 2 weeks ago I was 14+ in the morning, so I will accept 10.00 today, and hope that this becomes 6 soon. Meanwhile it feels like I am on a roller coaster at the moment.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your support, I guess it is early days yet, I am encouraged that the weight is falling off, I still take 2 glucophage (metformin) per day, but I stopped gliclizide 6 days ago. I suppose I still have a lot of fatty stuff around the liver and pancreas, and hope that my high morning levels are because of this, I was most definitely on a downward spiral, indeed only 2 weeks ago I was 14+ in the morning, so I will accept 10.00 today, and hope that this becomes 6 soon. Meanwhile it feels like I am on a roller coaster at the moment.
You'll be fine.. it takes ages for the morning readings to come down.. mine took a good 6 months. Also your liver will be dumping all the excess glucose that it has been trying to get into your fat stores while you were eating carbs. Your numbers are well down on what they were.. keep the faith (I know you will anyway). Meals sound great although only 2 chicken thighs...?

Reactions: ziggy_w

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
You'll be fine.. it takes ages for the morning readings to come down.. mine took a good 6 months. Also your liver will be dumping all the excess glucose that it has been trying to get into your fat stores while you were eating carbs. Your numbers are well down on what they were.. keep the faith (I know you will anyway). Meals sound great although only 2 chicken thighs...?

I am going to Ireland for new year, I intend to stick to the low carb diet except perhaps Christmas and New Years lunches, so I am trying to eat less in the run up to maximise weight loss. How many chicken thighs would you recommend? I buy mine at Aldi, £1.75 for 6-8 in a tray, low carb eating is saving me money lol.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to Ireland for new year, I intend to stick to the low carb diet except perhaps Christmas and New Years lunches, so I am trying to eat less in the run up to maximise weight loss. How many chicken thighs would you recommend? I buy mine at Aldi, £1.75 for 6-8 in a tray, low carb eating is saving me money lol.
Aldi too! (or Iceland). I have four or five done in the slow cooker then popped in the oven for a bit to crisp up the skin. Plus nice green veggies with bacon, mushroom and garlic mixed in - and a bit of gravy. Then I have a main course of.........

Reactions: Prem51 and Greg1957