Jump of 4.2 after lunch!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only me! So I know it will take time to get my blood sugar working the way I want it to, but I'm really frustrated with this afternoons reading. I read about lidls protein rolls so iff I went to buy some. Took reading before lunch and got 5.6 (it's been in the 8s and 9s this last week) made myself a protein roll with a slice of wafer thin ham, a scraping of cheese spread, a tickle of mustard and 2 three thin slices of tomato. No crisps, no pudding (not even a cheeky advent choccy) took my reading 1.5 hours later and I got a reading of 9.8 :facepalm: ugh I just don't get it. Tell me it gets easier, please!

Next time, ditch the roll and processed, sugar filled ham and instead, in a cold, crispy lettuce leaf put a good lathering of cream cheese, proper ham, cucumber, Mexican spice and sour cream (many other low carb fillings available).
It’s no wonder you spiked, your lunch was basically a grain roll! No fat to slow down the effect of the grains and I bet it didn’t do much for your hunger, not all that nutritionally sound either. Try half a roll toasted, lashings of butter and melted cheese.
It may have been the tomatoes, mustard and roll altogether, tomatoes make me crave and spike.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s no wonder you spiked, your lunch was basically a grain roll! No fat to slow down the effect of the grains and I bet it didn’t do much for your hunger, not all that nutritionally sound either.

These rolls are 13.8% fat, 12.3% fibre, 25% protein and 9.8% carb. One roll should not have caused such a huge spike.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These rolls are 13.8% fat, 12.3% fibre, 25% protein and 9.8% carb. One roll should not have caused such a huge spike.

I use to eat them...until I tested. For some of us any grain is a no no as there is a vast difference between 10g carbs from grains and the same from green veg.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its far too early in @cherrydarling 's diabetic journey to be talking about ditching bread etc. Ditching a whole food group on the strength of one test in the first week or so of testing is overkill, in my opinion.

Yes, some people cant eat grains. Some of us, including me, can. its down to our individual reactions after testing and tweaking.

Also, the ham I buy has no sugar in. We dont know what sort of ham the op buys.

l

Last edited:

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also wouldn’t be too concerned with having a reading of 9, I think as far as I’m aware this is quite normal after eating a meal? I may be wrong, I have never been too worried about having a 9 after eating :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also wouldn’t be too concerned with having a reading of 9, I think as far as I’m aware this is quite normal after eating a meal? I may be wrong, I have never been too worried about having a 9 after eating :)

@cherrydarling_ is a diet controlled type 2. Anything over 8.5 is considered high 2 hours after eating. But in the beginning of diet control our levels can be a bit higher as our bodies adjust to the new way of eating. Our background blood sugar levels start to decrease over the next few weeks and so better control and lower levels happen.

edited to make sense : )

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both @Kristin251 and @wiflib seem to me to be making the mistake of suggesting that their own restricted diets might be necessary for @cherrydarling_ who is new to testing and a low carb diet. The Lidl High Protein rolls are worth persevering with as may people on here have them without undue rise in BG, and if that is the case then lunch is sorted, at least until you get bored with them. Just to be sure you are having the right thing the Lidl HP rolls are triangular, dark brown and have seeds on top.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I wouldn't draw any conclusions from a single result after a one off meal. There are a lot of different factors that can play a part including liver dumps, stress, timing of testing, and so on.

My reactions to Lidl rolls were always a bit iffy. in that I regularly went to 8mmol/l after a whole one, but seemed to cope much better after just a half roll. Then I found that I am intolerant of gluten, and there is a LOT of gluten in Lidl rolls. So that explained the disproportionate reaction.

- not that I am suggesting that anyone on this thread is gluten intolerant, I only mention it as an example of why we all need to do our own systematic testing to discover what works for us, which may be completely different from what works for anyone else...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Both @Kristin251 and @wiflib seem to me to be making the mistake of suggesting that their own restricted diets might be necessary for @cherrydarling_ who is new to testing and a low carb diet. The Lidl High Protein rolls are worth persevering with as may people on here have them without undue rise in BG, and if that is the case then lunch is sorted, at least until you get bored with them. Just to be sure you are having the right thing the Lidl HP rolls are triangular, dark brown and have seeds on top.
The op is new and just started testing. I’m not suggesting MY diet but rather pointing out tjings in that meal that could be a culprit if the op is looking for lower rises. SOME fat is always advised to eat with carbs, diabetic or not.
I personally don’t care what anyone eats. I would not eat those rolls as I’d be doubled over in pain but many seem to love and tolerate them. Good for them,
I wish someone would have helped me figure out what was spiking me in my meals when first dx’d. Just trying to help.....
If the op wants lower numbers, posters making suggestions might help!

Reactions: Salvia

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You are absolutely right, I was suggesting that eating bread, in any form, is something to consider giving up, whilst you're suggesting that she might be ok with it. T
The content of the roll she described was barely there; one slice of wafer thin ham (usually the square, processed stuff) a tiny smear of mustard and very thin slices of tomato. What else do you think made her BG's rise? What nutritional value did that lunch have?

You may be able to eat those rolls but she may not.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@cherrydarling_ is a diet controlled type 2. Anything over 8.5 is considered high 2 hours after eating. But in the beginning of diet control our levels can be a bit higher as our bodies adjust to the new way of eating. Our background blood sugar levels start to decrease over the next few weeks and so better control and lower levels happen.

edited to make sense : )

It's never too early to dump bread in the T2 world. Dump it, and dump it as quickly as possible.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please, Everyone, there is no reason to start a bun fight over this!

@cherrydarling_ is clearly still in the early stages of exploring her diagnosis and her blood glucose readings.
Absolutely no reason to go Uber Hardcore yet (or at all) - until she knows her own food reactions using her meter.
- and she seems to be going at it sensibly, and with a long term plan of getting her levels where she wants them.

Reactions: Salvia

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please, Everyone, there is no reason to start a bun fight over this!

@cherrydarling_ is clearly still in the early stages of exploring her diagnosis and her blood glucose readings.
Absolutely no reason to go Uber Hardcore yet (or at all) - until she knows her own food reactions using her meter.
- and she seems to be going at it sensibly, and with a long term plan of getting her levels where she wants them.

Who's bun fighting!? Mind you, that's the best thing to do with buns, use them as play missiles, I thought we were having a discussion.

I'm fascinated that not eating bread is seen as uber hardcore. I adore the stuff and if I'm ever given 6 months left to live, every mouthful of food that goes in my body from then on with have bread wrapped around it.
Is it like alcohol? I don't drink, I dislike the taste and the effect it has but I know that the vast majority of people can't go without it.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who's bunfighting!? Mind you, that's the best thing to do with buns, use them as play missiles, I thought we were having a discussion.

Pushing the newly diagnosed into hardcore low carbing is IMO usually a total waste of time.
Once people have their own meter, they can find their own level - and that often gently drifts downwards as they learn more and more about their own bodies and their own reactions to carbs.

I have seen quite a few new forum members driven off by excessively severe low carb advice. For many, the shock of diagnosis is bad enough. Being told to get rid of bread as well can be just too much. Especially when their meter can easily inform them, after systematic testing, what they can tolerate or not. What works for them.

I love low carbing, but it took a long time for me to adjust. If someone had stormed in announcing that I had to go from a normally carby diet to severe restriction, then I would have dismissed them as extreme and very off putting.
Yet, here I am, some time later, having learned what works for me, and that happens to be very low carb.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pushing the newly diagnosed into hardcore low carbing is IMO usually a total waste of time.
Once people have their own meter, they can find their own level - and that often gently drifts downwards as they learn more and more about their own bodies and their own reactions to carbs.

I have seen quite a few new forum members driven off by excessively severe low carb advice. For many, the shock of diagnosis is bad enough. Being told to get rid of bread as well can be just too much. Especially when their meter can easily inform them, after systematic testing, what they can tolerate or not. What works for them.

I love low carbing, but it took a long time for me to adjust. If someone had stormed in announcing that I had to go from a normally carby diet to severe restriction, then I would have dismissed them as extreme and very off putting.
Yet, here I am, some time later, having learned what works for me, and that happens to be very low carb.

I would have gone ballistic if someone had held back that information from me and back in 2008 I was told I would get scurvy and put my health in serious danger if I gave up bread.
As it was, I wallied about with doing the usual low carb bread experimentation but in real terms, I dumped carbs overnight and saw almost immediate effects. I was overjoyed and you'll see me quote all over these forums that T2 set me free.

So no, I wont stop offering advice that the reader can ignore, it's valid advise, just as yours is. It's just different. And valid.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The advice to stop eating all bread is not valid at this stage. It may not ever be valid for this person. She may find, like me, that she can eat certain quantities of bread and other carbs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@wiflib

Offering people choice and information is helpful.

When you said this, you were doing neither of these things - especially when you consider how many varieties of lower carb, grain free, different nut and grain breads are available, in shops and as recipes for home baking.
It's never too early to dump bread in the T2 world. Dump it, and dump it as quickly as possible.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The advice to stop eating all bread is not valid at this stage. It may not ever be valid for this person. She may find, like me, that she can eat certain quantities of bread and other carbs.

It's very valid at this stage for many people and not saying that is wrong.

See? We are both right.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@wiflib

Offering people choice and information is helpful.

When you said this, you were doing neither of these things - especially when you consider how many varieties of lower carb, grain free, different nut and grain breads are available, in shops and as recipes for home baking.

Naughty! You took that out of context. That comment was in reply to Lucy, not the OP.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm fine with seeded sandwich thins with a carb content of approx 16g. I have now chosen not to eat them as I am having low carb soup for lunch (makes me feel warmer!), but I will probably go back to eating a thin with cheese when I get bored with soup. I also find it so much easier to take a sandwich thin with me when I go out or if I am having lunch round a friend's house.
It's nice to have a variety of foods and why cut something that you may be able to tolerate especially if you enjoy it? Test, test, test and make informed choices.