My Pet and Me - Alert Dog

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m sat watching My Pet and Me with my little one and they’ve got a Labrador on there who’s an alert dog for a little girl whose got T1.
All the facts about T1 were right and it was so refreshing so see it done and labelled properly.
Well done CBeebies!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The fact they can train those dogs to detect hypoglycemia is very cool, I've always wondered how they manage to do that and how long it takes. And what one has to do to get one of those dogs. We have 3 dogs but they stay downstairs and we sleep upstairs.

Kazza63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughters retriever woke me in the night when I was staying at hers looking after him. He was sleeping upstairs with me as I was alone in the house. He has alerted me in the day as well but I was treating it at the time. He hasn’t had any training

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughters retriever woke me in the night when I was staying at hers looking after him. He was sleeping upstairs with me as I was alone in the house. He has alerted me in the day as well but I was treating it at the time. He hasn’t had any training
Wow. And how do you think he knows you're having a low episode? I think I could keel over dead and my dogs would probably just hop over me lol.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The fact they can train those dogs to detect hypoglycemia is very cool, I've always wondered how they manage to do that and how long it takes. And what one has to do to get one of those dogs. We have 3 dogs but they stay downstairs and we sleep upstairs.

They’re wonderful! Twice in the episode she ran off to fetch the girls mum and carried her bg machine over to her. She was really impressive! Apparently she can tell when her bloods aren’t right by the smell of her breath changing!

Reactions: Snapsy

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, it's scent. If you are training a diabetic alert dog to be your service dog you have to "save" lots of your breath (I guess there's lots of breathing into bottles involved) when you are hypo so that they can plant it things to train the dog to react to the scent.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Doesn't surprise me in the least. Seen them even detect cancers, little wonder with their sense of smell, far above that of humans.

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m sat watching My Pet and Me with my little one and they’ve got a Labrador on there who’s an alert dog for a little girl whose got T1.
All the facts about T1 were right and it was so refreshing so see it done and labelled properly.
Well done CBeebies!

Dogs are amazing my greyhound Amy always woke me up in the night if I was hypo, and she has no training at all she used to come up and rub her wet nose on mine and whimper so quite and I would wake up and be hypo, amazing I miss her so much now she has gone to doggies heaven.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I hope you have another one ... rescued of course :)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
<------ This guy here...........complete waste of space, wouldn't even stir from his bed if we were all being murdered by an axe wielding mad man. :rolleyes:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Our T1 friend told us it was cats that wouldn't leave him alone as they could detect something different about his breath or skin smell.

Reactions: claire1991

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's both breath and sweat - when I looked at trying to train one of our labradors, I was told that we need to capture our sweat whn low as well.

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
<------ This guy here...........complete waste of space, wouldn't even stir from his bed if we were all being murdered by an axe wielding mad man. :rolleyes:
He is a very handsome boy though

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m loving reading about all your pets!
I have reptiles, I doubt my snake would be interested in my blood levels

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@slip my aunt has two cavaliers, and one of them, we say that she would quite happily lead the burglar to all the valuables as long as they made a fuss of her first.

More on topic, both of said cavaliers go nuts if my blood sugar is on the high side. They literally will not leave me alone. One time in particular I was visiting and I was at around 15, one of them would not stop nosing around my feet.

Of course, it could be a coincience and I simply had smelly feet that day :D

Reactions: slip