Trying out Newcastle diet.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
@endgame et al - what an inspiring read!

I intend to start the Newcastle Diet in the new year. I have no qualms at all about doing it without medical supervision as I am only diet controlled and in pretty good health. I'm very curious to see how much of a difference it can make!

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A big clap from me ..... you are doing brilliantly, as those FBG levels show. I applaud you. :)

As for your blood tests, I won't advise you when to have them but will say that if they include cholesterol you do need to fast (water only) overnight with a morning test. The HbA1c doesn't require fasting, but as cholesterol will be measured at the same time, you will need to fast. (Your surgery will probably say it isn't necessary as this is the line the NHS is taking, but that isn't wise. It is only to save waiting times for blood tests because they can use the afternoons as well as the mornings)

Hi Bluetit1802, thanks for the encouragement and information, my appointment will indeed be a morning one so I will take your advice and just have water after my evening meal and up to the actual test, the test includes my cholesterol, liver function etc, also my PSA level due to prostate cancer, which I have had removed and been OK for the last year:)
I will also ask for a print off of all my tests for my diabetes and the actual date I was diagnosed, should hope my dn doesn't have a problem with this request!.
Will then be able to complete my profile, don't know weather it was yourself or other members that suggested having these print outs but I thought it a good bit of information....

I will go for the test towards end of December that being 2 weeks after end of nd and hopefully give me a good result and better than my last one ( more meds more meds ). As I started the nd to try to not take meds ,so this would be a great New year to have accomplished this.
Regards

Reactions: woodywhippet61

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@endgame et al - what an inspiring read!

I intend to start the Newcastle Diet in the new year. I have no qualms at all about doing it without medical supervision as I am only diet controlled and in pretty good health. I'm very curious to see how much of a difference it can make!

Hi Tabbyjoolz, thanks for your encouragement, I hope that you to will keep a diary and update the community when you go onto the nd, the encouragement from other member's and information as helped me to achieve my goal and keep me on track. Will you be using real food or the shake route? I must say that I found the shakes convenient, that said shakes are not for everyone. Good luck with your quest :) and keep us informed of your progress..
Regards

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Hi Tabbyjoolz, thanks for your encouragement, I hope that you to will keep a diary and update the community when you go onto the nd, the encouragement from other member's and information as helped me to achieve my goal and keep me on track. Will you be using real food or the shake route? I must say that I found the shakes convenient, that said shakes are not for everyone. Good luck with your quest :) and keep us informed of your progress..
Regards
Yes, I will. I'm going to do shakes and veg to start with, but may gravitate to real food once boredom kicks in.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @endgame Not long to go now.
I hope you are also encouraged by news yesterday on the ND study.

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @endgame Not long to go now.
I hope you are also encouraged by news yesterday on the ND study.

Hi Hiitsme, thanks for the encouragement, yes my wife also mentioned the nd on the news, she was a little worried with my weight loss but now realises the benefit for me...last shake today then lchf diet, looking forward to tomorrow.

Regards

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well that's it with the nd, will update figures in a Mo, finished the nd Sunday so started lchf Monday with egg bacon sausage, mushroom and tomatoes, with half protein roll from Lidl toasted with butter......so nice. Bg this morning 4.8 which is OK with me. Going to keep up the testing to ensure nothing gets out of hand, with Christmas round corner will need to be on guard not to eat them mince pies etc, looking for low carb alternatives without all the additives.

Day 50 bg 5.6?
Day 51 bg 4.9
Day 52 bg 4.6
Day 53 bg 5.7?
Day 54 bg 5.1
Day 55 bg 4.4
Day 56 bg 4.8

Weight at end of nd week 8 is 61.7kgs which is really good and hope to maintain between 61 to 63 kgs.

I have not had any meds during the 8 weeks and feel a lot better for it, now to get back into my exercise routine to help with the extra cals that will come during my lchf diet, hope to build up mussel mass lost during the nd.
If I was to do the nd again I would still go with the shakes for the convenience, and adjust for the last couple of weeks with real food and shakes. Cost wise I used tesco ultraslim, 4 flavors are available and seemed to be on offer most of the time, saving me £2 each time I had 2 box's. I have a few shakes left so will use one if I need a quick meal including some salad too.
Would like to thank forum members for the encouragement during my 8 weeks and if I may say thanks to Prof Roy Taylor for sharing his research.

Still drinking 2 to 3 litres of fluid a day and have started to have salt which I never had added to my meals.

Good luck to forum members who take on the nd in the future.
Regards. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a brilliant result, and well done for completing it.
Enjoy your LCHF and enjoy Christmas. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@endgame - If you tried eating real food, wrapped around some weeks of ND, then I think any weight variance is probably white noise.

If you are doing ND, with shakes and a bit of veg, you likely don't have too much bulk (ahem) on board at any given time, whereas n real food, it likely simply weighs more.

Don't get too hung up on it until you have some decent trends to judge against.

Well done on sticking with it, and good luck moving forward.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @endgame
Good luck for the next stage which you seem to have thought through. Enjoy Christmas, albeit without a massive amount of carbs.

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi to all members, been awhile since my last post but now have the time for a update, have been reading the new posts with interest since my last post so not really lost touch, my lchf diet is going well and most of the time my BG is in low 5 some times high 4, so not so bad, got my results today from my blood test at end of December, just to say my dn was very happy, HbA1c was 5.8 down from previous level of 7.9 :) and when I told her I had no metformin since starting the nd she said wow. Now my only problem is my cholesterol is high at 8 and again I have not taken any statins during the nd and now my lchf diets, question, is my fat intake to high or do I just need to modify my fat intake. Trig 1.19 HDL 1.5 LDL 5.6, any help with this would be appreciated. My weight is still within my targets and have no trouble as yet getting into my new jeans lol......Regards

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@endgame it is no surprise your cholesterol is high. You have lost weight, to put it crudely while you were 'enjoying' your 800 Cals/day your body was busy 'eating' itself to make up the difference. The blood stream is like the highway network. It is the means to transport energy to where it is needed. The fat that you have lost has been swimming round you bloodstream.I found that it was a few months after I had lost weight that cholesterol settled down

PS I did LCHF and 5:2 not ND

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@endgame it is no surprise your cholesterol is high. You have lost weight, to put it crudely while you were 'enjoying' your 800 Cals/day your body was busy 'eating' itself to make up the difference. The blood stream is like the highway network. It is the means to transport energy to where it is needed. The fat that you have lost has been swimming round you bloodstream.I found that it was a few months after I had lost weight that cholesterol settled down

PS I did LCHF and 5:2 not ND

Hi walnut_face, thanks for the reply, good to know that my levels should return to a lower limit in the next few months, will continue with lchf diet and look forward to better results in the future......regards