Heart Rate above 100bpm

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Just wondering do many of you track your heart rate and so on? I'm using an S Gear and am looking at trends in my heart rate. It would seem i'm above average a lot of the time. Yesterday and today, it seems my resting heart rate is slightly above 100bpm, a walk could bring it up to 120-135bpm and sometimes a vigorous walk could bring it above my max at 170bpm.

I am just a little concerned if I was to say run or jog, more vigorous than normal. Anybody seen this and is there a direct link between T1 and a faster heart rate

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Just wondering do many of you track your heart rate and so on? I'm using an S Gear and am looking at trends in my heart rate. It would seem i'm above average a lot of the time. Yesterday and today, it seems my resting heart rate is slightly above 100bpm, a walk could bring it up to 120-135bpm and sometimes a vigorous walk could bring it above my max at 170bpm.

I am just a little concerned if I was to say run or jog, more vigorous than normal. Anybody seen this and is there a direct link between T1 and a faster heart rate

My resting heart rate always goes up on my fit bit, on days when I have had alcohol. Or, if my sugar levels are running higher. On Friday it became obvious that my basal needed dumping. Results all day were high, and I had to take a shed load of bolus on and off for the next 24 hours. The next day, resting heart rate had jumped up.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
is there a direct link between T1 and a faster heart rate

No, there isn't.

Average resting heart rate for adults is 60-100bpm. So, you're at the top of the range, but still normal.

You might just be a bit unfit/not terribly active. An athlete might have a resting heart rate more around 40bpm. It's normal for activity to raise the heart rate. That's what aerobic exercise is - that's the point of it.

You might see an increase in bpm when hypo, because that's a hypo symptom.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My resting heartbeat averages about 90. I rarely see one in the 70s, and do see many in the 90s and occasionally above 100. I have looked back at my records from early 2014 and it has always been this way. It seems to be normal for me. My blood pressure is absolutely normal.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like you JoeT1 I have a fast resting heartbeat - normally when idle it's about 90-110, and stomping round town at lunchtime (in a vague attempt to try and get some exercise) it gets upto about 135-150 - overnight it drops down to 65-75.
It's always been fast for me - though as I'm getting older its getting slightly slower - and I've always had T1D (ok, from the age of 2 so not quite, but its close enough), but I'm not convinced it's actually to do with it, as both my mother and grandmother (when she was still around) had fast pulse rates as well (nether of whom have/had diabetes), so for myself I suspect it's just been passed down genetically.
I have had some tests done at the local hospital to check its ok (24 hour monitor), and they deemed it fine.
Exercise doesn't seem to cause me any issues at all, not sure I ever saw it go above 180ish - but then I haven't had my Fitbit for very long and I don't get enough exercise that is more than just brisk walking to watch it very often :)

Last edited:

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my heart late was 100 plus. im now around 70thanks to one of my heart meds. have you had your bp checked recently, i would mention it to your doctor its probably nothing but. it does tire your body. the day after my meds started i felt so different. until youve been checked out dont do any vigorous exercise. any new chest pains dont wait get checked out.

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
7b1aa8156652ae95544cef3c189195a1.jpg

I have highlighted the heart rate column. You have anxiety the same as me it would seem

D

Deleted Account

I agree with the other replies; higher hear rate is not related to t1.
My resting heart rate is about 55.

I recently had surgery, when coming round from general anaesthetic, the nurse was surprised by a hear rate of 45.

Dark Horse

It's worth getting it checked out by your GP to rule out causes such as hyperthyroidism, atrial fibrillation, anaemia etc.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
If you ever need an ambulance, make sure you tell the paramedics what your usual resting heart rate is. Otherwise they look at a heart rate of 120 (assuming you're stressed or in pain), and start talking about tachycardia and ECGs.

Maradona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thst does sound a touch high. Mine is the other way at 45bpm.

Tippy.tosca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I'm just the same got a very high heart rate just been diagnosed with AF I take Tildiem for that 60mg one per day. I'm also on pain meds plus metformin & Gliclazide for my diabetis. If you're at all worried go see your GP.
Julie.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
7b1aa8156652ae95544cef3c189195a1.jpg

I have highlighted the heart rate column. You have anxiety the same as me it would seem
The 2 rates of 162 and 150 at 9:15 pm could be a.fib. The OP's rates are probably normal for a younger person. Anxiety shouldn't run your rate to 162/min. A.fib, on the other hand, can be felt as "anxiety". I heard that Apple is coming out with an app for their Apple Watch that is designed to detect a.fib. There's also a finger electrode thing that transmits a rhythm strip to your phone. Costs about $100.

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 20, and was diagnosed with T1 a few months ago. Soon after, using my apple watch I noticed my heart rate was fast. I looked back at the data and the increase started around the same time I got symptoms of diabetes. It has been resting at about 100bpm for a few months, and I am currently in the lengthy process of getting it investigated.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi All,

I don't think diabetes related. Or at least my cardiologist didnt mention diabetes related. After 130bpm in rest even though on a betablocker my betablocker was doubled and people on my ward in observation like me were not diabetic with fast heart rates too.

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
I'm relieved to be reading this thread. I'm type 1 and my resting hr is never much below 100. It has been like this for at least 9 years. It does worry me that I am going to wear out eventually. ECG's showed tachycardia and ectopic beats abut apart from that normal. I am not on any meds for it.

lindisfel

Expert
I have Afib but it doesn't always cause a fast heart rate. My heart rate drops to forty with frequent 4sec pauses, hence I have a pacemaker with a floor at 60 BPM. It depends what other conditions affect the hearts natural pacemaker, re: sinus node problems.
When I exercise my heart seldom tops 100bpm.
Slow heart rate can imply one is a very fit person, but not in my case.
It is a relatively simple job to get an ECG done at the surgery to see if you have Afib.
It's best to find out because Afib increases the stroke risk by a factor of x5.
The normal approach then is taking an anticoagulant.
D.

Last edited: