Type 1 Hypos at work - what to do?

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I’m new to the site although not newly diagnosed. Well in a way I am. Let me explain a bit first. I was diagnosed as type 2 on the 10/03/2010. My sugar levels since then had always been high - in the 20s to 30s or higher - despite my Dr putting me on Metformin, Victoza and Dapagilflozin. In June this year I was struggling with my breathing so mum took me to A&E.

She dropped me off at 11 am Saturday. By 11.45 I still hadn’t been seen so asked when it will be my turn and said oh btw I’m diabetic. Within minutes the triage nurse was out, took one look at me and I was on a bed in resus for the next 5 hours hooked up to drips, before being transferred to Acute Care overnight and then on to a ward.

Turns out I was having a bad DKA episode - which I had warned my Dr years before that the dapagliflozin could cause and she said I wasn’t at risk, despite having all the symptoms for years as well!

The hospital retested everything while I was there and found out I was actually type 1 after all! So I’d been misdiagnosed all those years ago.

Anyway to get to the point, since then my sugar levels are well under control to the point where I now hypo occasionally. I am sensitive to my levels dropping so well aware and can act quickly.

Today I had a hypo at work. First in a while. I told my supervisor my sugar levels were dropping so need to react. She was understanding and said would get the phone if it rang. Which it did but no response from her so I ended up answering it. It rang again while I was testing my bloods so I left it. No one answered it! It rang again and only after 3 rings did my colleague pick it up.

What would you have done in that situation. Should I have removed myself from the room and my desk until my levels are normal again? Ive always just carried on, but after today it has left me wondering. I shouldn’t have to announce I’m testing my bloods can someone get that as we should all be answering the phone anyway. The fact that I’m usually the one who does as no one else does - should that matter? Given the fact my supervisor said she’d answer the phone already as well.

Sorry needed to rant a bit as it really annoyed me today. So apologies too for the long post.

Thank you in advance

Reactions: himtoo

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
no you need to be around people. what do you think caused it bad eating or over use of insulin.

Reactions: MissMJ73

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I’m new to the site although not newly diagnosed. Well in a way I am. Let me explain a bit first. I was diagnosed as type 2 on the 10/03/2010. My sugar levels since then had always been high - in the 20s to 30s or higher - despite my Dr putting me on Metformin, Victoza and Dapagilflozin. In June this year I was struggling with my breathing so mum took me to A&E.

She dropped me off at 11 am Saturday. By 11.45 I still hadn’t been seen so asked when it will be my turn and said oh btw I’m diabetic. Within minutes the triage nurse was out, took one look at me and I was on a bed in resus for the next 5 hours hooked up to drips, before being transferred to Acute Care overnight and then on to a ward.

Turns out I was having a bad DKA episode - which I had warned my Dr years before that the dapagliflozin could cause and she said I wasn’t at risk, despite having all the symptoms for years as well!

The hospital retested everything while I was there and found out I was actually type 1 after all! So I’d been misdiagnosed all those years ago.

Anyway to get to the point, since then my sugar levels are well under control to the point where I now hypo occasionally. I am sensitive to my levels dropping so well aware and can act quickly.

Today I had a hypo at work. First in a while. I told my supervisor my sugar levels were dropping so need to react. She was understanding and said would get the phone if it rang. Which it did but no response from her so I ended up answering it. It rang again while I was testing my bloods so I left it. No one answered it! It rang again and only after 3 rings did my colleague pick it up.

What would you have done in that situation. Should I have removed myself from the room and my desk until my levels are normal again? Ive always just carried on, but after today it has left me wondering. I shouldn’t have to announce I’m testing my bloods can someone get that as we should all be answering the phone anyway. The fact that I’m usually the one who does as no one else does - should that matter? Given the fact my supervisor said she’d answer the phone already as well.

Sorry needed to rant a bit as it really annoyed me today. So apologies too for the long post.

Thank you in advance

Some people are just so annoying. They say they understand but they do not really listen. I would let them get the phone. If they say anything just tell that if you do not treat a diabetic hypo or test your blood sugar, you could end up in a coma. Tell them that you have to take urgent action. See how they like that! I wish I had taken my own advice over the years and stopped trying to hide it as I was embarrassed. I have decided that is the way I am going to live my life anymore. If other people do not like it, tough! I would not necessarily leave the room as sometimes you do need other people around for help.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No matter what, hypos always come first. Treat the low blood sugar before you do anything else! You can't possibly help anyone or get work done if you're unconscious on the floor, so you should always make taking care of your diabetes a priority over everything else. Also, don't remove yourself from the room - that's a whole lot on unnecessary exercise when you're low. Just stay where you are until you're feeling better. Perhaps you should set up a meeting with your supervisor to talk about diabetes, so that they know you will sometimes be testing etc.

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Understand your system when your blood sugars go low. With Insulin you have to eat between your breakfast and lunch. Eat a carb in between to avoid hypos. Symptoms that you should be aware by now. Are you on short acting and long acting insulin or just one type of insulin. Based on the insulin type you might have to eat in between to avoid such situations at work.
I am on insulin and also when I work I take in between snacks or fruits. You do not have to skip your work when you sense hypo symptoms at work. Hope the suggestion is suitable for you.

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I’m on Abasaglar as my long acting and Novarapid as the fast. I’m still trying to learn how to balance the Novarapid with my carb intake as only been on insulin since June. I think yesterday time got away with me and I didn’t eat much at lunch and didn’t snack in between like I normally do either. My sugars were high at lunch so maybe I over compensated and didn’t realise how quick they would drop from what I ate if that make sense or I didn’t factor in eating little. Will wee how it goes.

Thank you again.

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
no you need to be around people. what do you think caused it bad eating or over use of insulin.

I think it was a mixture. I was very busy and time just got away from me and so I didn’t snack mid afternoon as I normally do. Plus then my sugars were high at lunch and didn’t each much so maybe I over compensated on the insulin a bit too much too.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @MissMJ73
perhaps it would be a good idea to talk to your DSN ( diabetic nurse ) and ask about going on a carb counting course.
( they are usually called DAFNE courses )

while you are waiting you could have a look at this online course https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

I would have ignored the phone by the way -- treating a hypo is the most important thing.

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ignore the phone and treat the hypo. People generally won't know anything about hypos other than what you tell them and they will follow your lead on how to behave. So if they see you carrying on like normal without taking a break to stop and sort yourself out then they will assume that is how it works. I know it can be difficult and you don't want to feel like you are letting people down but sometimes you need to put yourself first (or if you want to make a put the business first argument imagine the nonsense you could have spouted if you answered the phone low!). If it makes you feel better I was once taking minutes in a very important meeting with a lot of important people and I had to stop everything to ask for someone to take over from me because I was having a hypo! Luckily enough people there knew about my diabetes that they didn't even blink! Someone else happily volunteered to take over whilst I went off to get my glucose tablets. The only follow up I got was my manager stopping by afterwards to make sure I had recovered and was OK.

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there @MissMJ73
perhaps it would be a good idea to talk to your DSN ( diabetic nurse ) and ask about going on a carb counting course.
( they are usually called DAFNE courses )

while you are waiting you could have a look at this online course https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

I would have ignored the phone by the way -- treating a hypo is the most important thing.

I’m booked on a course for January and looking forward to it. It’s a huge mind change for me going from T2 to T1.

Thanks will have a look.

Reactions: Neoncat and himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I’m booked on a course for January and looking forward to it. It’s a huge mind change for me going from T2 to T1.

Thanks will have a look.
that's great you have the course for january -- that will help a lot.

this is a great place for support -- I forgot to say welcome to the forum in my last post !!
so a very warm welcome from me !! :)

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Accidentally catch your elbow on the phone so it is off the hook. Have used this a few times in the past when expected to work at lunchtime. Worked a treat!

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Accidentally catch your elbow on the phone so it is off the hook. Have used this a few times in the past when expected to work at lunchtime. Worked a treat!

Lol will have to try that

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
that's great you have the course for january -- that will help a lot.

this is a great place for support -- I forgot to say welcome to the forum in my last post !!
so a very warm welcome from me !! :)

Thank you

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I’m on Abasaglar as my long acting and Novarapid as the fast. I’m still trying to learn how to balance the Novarapid with my carb intake as only been on insulin since June. I think yesterday time got away with me and I didn’t eat much at lunch and didn’t snack in between like I normally do either. My sugars were high at lunch so maybe I over compensated and didn’t realise how quick they would drop from what I ate if that make sense or I didn’t factor in eating little. Will wee how it goes.

Thank you again.
Testing quite often does not solve the problem. All we just have to do is keep track of time and the symptoms and rest will fall in place. Good luck!!!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree managing your hypo comes first so have a chat with your colleagues. The DAPHNE/carb counting course should help. Carb-counting is essential to get the best control. When you are carb-counting and have your Basal balanced you shouldn't need to snack between meals as your bs should remain fairly stable. Obviously be guided by the meter as always.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you're first on insulin it's a bit unpredictable. Do you know if you're still producing any of your own insulin, because that adds to the unpredictability! If you're having a hypo then first and foremost treat the hypo otherwise you could end up sounding drunk on the phone line anyway.

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you're first on insulin it's a bit unpredictable. Do you know if you're still producing any of your own insulin, because that adds to the unpredictability! If you're having a hypo then first and foremost treat the hypo otherwise you could end up sounding drunk on the phone line anyway.

No apparently I’ve never produced it! So they should have put my on insulin at the start. But then again they told me I was type 2 at the beginning. The hospital were horrified at it all. My Drs were shocked and as a result they’ve changed the way they monitor all diabetics at the practice now.