Don't involve yourself in the blame game.

eddie864

I am definitely obese with a BMI of about 40. I was talking to my consultant about the effects of losing weight and insulin use and he did confirm that weight is a massive part of me being a T2 diabetic. However he did say that my resistance to insulin was way beyond just the weight issue. He reckons it is metabolic and that while I should try and lose weight I shouldn't expect to be diabetes free from doing so. But all the same I do feel I've done a lot of damage to myself and I do feel self blame.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Never seen this thread before thanks you Susan.

Well said Catherine an excellent post.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
eddie864 said:
I am definitely obese with a BMI of about 40. I was talking to my consultant about the effects of losing weight and insulin use and he did confirm that weight is a massive part of me being a T2 diabetic. However he did say that my resistance to insulin was way beyond just the weight issue. He reckons it is metabolic and that while I should try and lose weight I shouldn't expect to be diabetes free from doing so. But all the same I do feel I've done a lot of damage to myself and I do feel self blame.

I've replied to one of your posts elsewhere, Mart. You will never be cured of diabetes, but you can get good control over it, with a bit of effort and honesty.

Put the self blame behind you and begin to look forward. One day at a time! :D

Viv 8)

ShyGirl

In the last six months i've had three medics mention the cost of my treatments and one medicine removed with cost cited as one of the reasons (it was reinstated after I became ill and finally saw a GP who overruled her).

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
You really shouldn't be made to feel this way! :x

How you became diabetic is immaterial. Perhaps some people are slightly larger than they should be, some thin people predisposed to the condition or some people who still can't find a reason for becoming diabetic - should they all be treated as drains on the NHS? I believe that GPs are paid £2,000 per year for each diabetic in their practice. For that I see my GP once a year, have blood tests once a year and have not had a foot check for 2 years (I see a chiropodist who I pay for). This year I had a flu jab! I also have metformin and I know I don't pay for my prescription but if I lived in Scotland I wouldn't either. I have never seen a diabetic nurse or a dietician and (apart from the diabetes) am very healthy and haven't been to the GP for any other reason for 4 years. My husband went for a well man check recently (I insisted) and they were shocked that he hadn't been since 1996 - and had only gained 1 kg in all that time and luckily for him is in excellent health!

We are very lucky that we have a wonderful (generally) NHS system and you are an entitled as any to use it and no one has the right to infer whether someones life is more valuable than another.

Keep trying and be positive. :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wont reply on this thread shygirl, I will start a new thread as this subject has cropped up several times recently in my family and I would like a specific thread to discuss it.

You are NOT a burden, you are NOT to blame for your diabetes, so please dont blame yourself. We dont appear to have a Hugs emoticon, so sending Hugs.

I have started a new thread here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30485

SouthernGeneral6512

ShyGirl said:
I think I feel ashamed and stigmatised.

In the last six months i've had three medics mention the cost of my treatments and one medicine removed with cost cited as one of the reasons (it was reinstated after I became ill and finally saw a GP who overruled her).
Most of all I feel guilty because money is spent on prolonging a pointless life. Scans , bay stays , meds , needles , intensive care stay , gastroscopy twice , appointments at units/clinics/hospitals/ must add up to £50k by now.
If I thought I was 100% to blame it would probably be too much but when diagnosed my then boyfriend and his sister were obese and diabetes free so I always wonder why some escape it.
My half sister is heavier and 10 years older than me and yet she is diabetes free so there are obviously subtle genetic factors at play.

Try not to feel so negative if you want to blame someone blame the politicians who for years have allowed our food to be laced with addictive sugar

BeccaJaneStClair

Up until my diagnoses in March, I was a healthy, but overweight, person. When I got my diagnoses, it didn't come as a huge shock because diabetes runs in my family -- doesn't matter if you're underweight, normal weight, or overweight, we just seem to be prone to it. Just like having other diseases run in the family, diabetes runs in mine. I don't think I'm to blame at all, if anything, I blame my grandparents :p

susanmanley

We mustnot go into the cost game either I am sure.
When I had a kidney tumour I was told 3 times how expensive my drugs were nad a nurse even switched off my drip whilst she 'checked' that I was really allowed this drug that was SO expensive!!
I lost the kidney even though I transfered to another hospital where I was treated as a proper person who needed care. I have been ill since birth so dread to think how much I have caost the state in the last 60 years. If I did think I would probably end it all now. On the plus side is that I was also a' guinea pig' with regard to my heart and the birth of my first child so perhaps I can count that as a little bit of payback. An operation that was once im[possible is now routine [and cheaper]

Never blame yourself nor put a cost on your life...PLEASE

Reactions: Petaluk

Unbeliever

susanmanley said:
We mustnot go into the cost game either I am sure.
When I had a kidney tumour I was told 3 times how expensive my drugs were nad a nurse even switched off my drip whilst she 'checked' that I was really allowed this drug that was SO expensive!!
I lost the kidney even though I transfered to another hospital where I was treated as a proper person who needed care. I have been ill since birth so dread to think how much I have caost the state in the last 60 years. If I did think I would probably end it all now. On the plus side is that I was also a' guinea pig' with regard to my heart and the birth of my first child so perhaps I can count that as a little bit of payback. An operation that was once im[possible is now routine [and cheaper]

Never blame yourself nor put a cost on your life...PLEASE

This struck a real chord with me susanmanley I have always felt guilty about the cost of treatment for my retinopathy altough i don't consider it my own fault. I am assured that I have been of use as a guinea pig and in the training of opthalmologists and that the alternative to treating me would be far more expensive. It took a while but now i believe this.
It is sometimes difficult to see the broader picture for yourself but worth airing any such worries and seeking reassurance.
We guinea pigs are useful creaures!

susanmanley

We are and if it is a birth defect even the most critical find it hard to put the blame on you although I have no doubt my parents suffered some critisism but sometimes sh""! just happens :)

A

Anonymous

cuillie said:
One thing for me which I felt was crimimal was that theWHO was prevented from releasing a report on how sugar, or corn syrhip was really damaging by being told that their funding would be pulled. Makes me wonder what chance has the little guy got.

Well, exactly. Here is what I posted in an earlier (now locked) thread:

We need to be honest as a society - carbohydrate is addictive! The food industry has a vested interest in producing foods high in carbohydrates because for them they assure continued demand for their products so that we in the west overeat and the less fortunate on our planet starve. This is utter madness!

The food industry is a massive vested interest and they will always protect their position of power and influence over western governments; it is a tragedy that those they exploit the most are those who are poorly educated or just not very bright - the very people at the bottom of our society - who are being exploited the most.

All of us, whether we're rich or poor, can make choices about the food we eat to avoid getting diabetes in the first place. To do that though means we need clear information and I think we are all being misled.

C

catherinecherub

As the OP, I really see no point in this thread going off topic. It was not intended to lambast the food industry but to boost people's moral when they were feeling down about media coverage and stereotyping of Type2's

wendle

i hadnt read these posts before today but i wish i had. it wouldve stopped a few headaches. ok so im a bit podgy, but diabetes seems to run in my family (im type 2, sis has syndrome x, dads type 2, gran was type 1, grandad was type 2) and i really believe it can be down to genetics. my doc mentioned MODY to me and sent me for a test to see if this is what i am. unfortunately, when i got to the hospital (which isnt local to me and took 1 1/2 hrs travelling time to get to), they decided that infact no, they arent going to test me, they just want to have a chat.i wasnt impressed. needless to say i had a fairly heated conversation with my doc over this. so still pretty clueless as to whether im definately a genetically modified diabetic or not.
sorry, i did digress a bit there, but these posts have reinforced my theories.

thanks,

wendle x

Reactions: KookieMunchster
A

Anonymous

catherinecherub said:
As the OP, I really see no point in this thread going off topic. It was not intended to lambast the food industry but to boost people's moral when they were feeling down about media coverage and stereotyping of Type2's

Maybe not, but I am entitled to my opinion and I've been proven to be right too. The trouble is, you can visit a supermarket - any supermarket - and most of the choices involve foods that are not good for us. This forum has been very helpful in guiding people into making the right choices. The tragedy is this: had we not got diabetes in the first place, we would have remained ignorant about the choices of the food we eat and many of us would have got diabetes, eventually.

The thread is about not blaming ourselves, and my comments remain true to that ideal. I don't blame myself, but I do blame the established forces in our society for the misinformation. At least here, I am beginning to learn about my condition and how to manage it and that I am not alone and that, by itself, is priceless.

susanmanley

I was talking to a complete stranger the other day and they were complaining of pains very similar to those I had just before I had pancreatitus so I just said that I had had them and it was best to get it checked out...'I am not an alcholic' was the reply...I had a hot water and they had a glass of wine!!! not all diseases come from something you do wrong..........but you are branded

I have never smoked but have chronic asthma and frequent chest infections, drink about 2 units a month [admittedly usually on the same day] and have had pancreatitus resulting in diebetis, do not eat LOADs [but do take steroids and other medication] but am a bit overweight,
Sorry world but I was just born this way!!

Mileana

Aye, Susan - chin up! World can be a daft place sometimes, but then there are good days too.

How are you getting on btw?

-M

susanmanley

I am on a fairly good high at moment as been rather spoilt for my 60th. It has messed the diet up a bit but am slowly getting it all together.
Life is so much easier with a meter...why don't the NHS offer them?.... and i do feel more under control.

Got tests and consultation over next couple of weeks and have been offered a place on the Desmond course. I am going to join the local support group too

Thank you for your support

susan

Mileana

You're most welcome :)

Things take time so as long as you're generally headed in the right direction and know what you need to do, take it one step at a time - and hey, you only turn 60 once!

Back on track then soon you go, hehe, and good luck.

susanmanley

pleased to say i have had the best 2 weeks of my life and now happy to go back to getting things right!!
Although I put on some weight I think I will soon get it back off. Sugar levels are a bit high but not bad really so will be happy to get back on the trail