Returned to work after having a diabetic seizure

pedropeet07

On xmas day i had my first diabetic seizure , when i returned to work after the xmas holidays i informed my boss and no action was taken . Since then i have had another seizure 4 weeks later , but this time my employer has sent me to see an occupational health doctor and after 6 weeks have still not been allowed to return to work . They inform me they are just looking after my health (i am left on ssp £80 a week. should they not of acted upon this when i had my first seizure????????????????? any help or advice would be great thanks.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
By diabetic seizure I assume you mean a hypo.

Emplyers have a duty of care... And as such two hypo's in a short space of time could well be deemed a worry to them employing you, and therefore they could stop you working... But I dont know what job you do, hours etc.

I'm not sure whether they can technically keep you on 'sick' though... As it sounds as if you are deeming yourself fit to work??

If it was me, I would be asking for weekly meetings with the person that has instigated this action and ask that all meetings are minuted and that you get copies...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I know I was sent to an Occupational Health Doctor when I was given a pump, but the Adviser told me exactly what he was writing and advising the Council to do. He actually made recommendations of always having access to my remote control etc.
I did get on well with the Adviser so I dont know if this is the norm.
Depending on your job.. Union or Acas may be able to help you...

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Difficult to blame your employer for your hypo's and difficult to judge as not sure who you're employer is. I you were an airline pilot, I wouldn't want you at work either lol ! The fact you are being sent to occupational care is a promising sign. Could you not return to work under some form of modified duty or shift pattern ? Have you suggested this ? I am currently in a similar situation. Work in Fire Service and newly diagnosed type 1 so I cannot be operational for 6 months whilst I am monitored. I am still at work though on different shift pattern doing office job. After I prove I can control my condition, I return to normal duty. Try to discuss things with your employer. Sometimes it's the fear of the unknown. Good luck !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I am in a similar situation have been on sick since 12th Feb when I was diagnosed and hospitalised for a week, my firm will not allow me back to work until I can get a note to say I am fit for work from my GP. My GP says I need to take things slowly and will not sign me back to work.

pedropeet07

I am currently labouring and the occupational health has suggested some modifications to my work load if they can agree with them. I am not blaming my employers for my episodes or for being cautious with me . I am just asking why they did nothing after my first seizure? i know it is more serious now as i have had 2 but surely it should of been an issue after 1?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I agree they could have referred you after the first episode but perhaps they were giving you the benefit of the doubt ? Even DVLA allow 1 episode but get stricter if this increases. Anyway, at least they have done the right thing now and have referred you. The onus is now on you to prove that you can manage your diabetes unfortunately. Hopefully, you and your employers can agree some form of modified return to work. Has your doctor signed you back fit for work ?

pedropeet07

my doctor has sighned me fit for work , but my employer wont except it, and have made me another appointment with oc health at a date later than the one he suggested i could return to my modified role.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
That sounds very unfair. They should accept your doctors note. Well, my employer never actually accepted mine lol ! Do you generally have a
Good relationship with your employers ? Do you have Union rep or similar ? It's difficult to advise without more detail. Do you have a permanent contract ? As an employee, you have rights. You could even speak to Citizens Advice ? Ultimately, it's better to stay on good terms but they have to treat you fairly.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
pedropeet07 said:
my doctor has sighned me fit for work , but my employer wont except it, and have made me another appointment with oc health at a date later than the one he suggested i could return to my modified role.

Sorry to hear of your work issues, it does seem a bit unfair. I do hope you can get back to work soon.

Best wishes RRB

onthegow

Official people who want to work are being stopped prevented by red tape. What has the uk come to. U am all for bring careful but there seems to be a common thread here. I gave jumped through hoops for 3 yrs since being diagnosed and there is no end in sight. I did not ask for t1 and neither did anyone on here so why are employers treating us like this. Maybe out gov will step in and help or just pay our wages to live not likely lol. Hang in there everyone I'm sure we wil make it.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
On xmas day i had my first diabetic seizure , when i returned to work after the xmas holidays i informed my boss and no action was taken . Since then i have had another seizure 4 weeks later , but this time my employer has sent me to see an occupational health doctor and after 6 weeks have still not been allowed to return to work . They inform me they are just looking after my health (i am left on ssp £80 a week. should they not of acted upon this when i had my first seizure????????????????? any help or advice would be great thanks.
I'd get a second opinion on that one. I could be wrong but it pays to check.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Official people who want to work are being stopped prevented by red tape. What has the uk come to. U am all for bring careful but there seems to be a common thread here. I gave jumped through hoops for 3 yrs since being diagnosed and there is no end in sight. I did not ask for t1 and neither did anyone on here so why are employers treating us like this. Maybe out gov will step in and help or just pay our wages to live not likely lol. Hang in there everyone I'm sure we wil make it.

No one asks to be diabetic, but you are still to be afforded fair and equitable treatment from your employer. I have suffered severe hypos on shift, yet I have been supported by a loyal team of staff members. I am one of the lucky ones. I truly hope that you will find an answer to your problem.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No one asks to be diabetic, but you are still to be afforded fair and equitable treatment from your employer. I have suffered severe hypos on shift, yet I have been supported by a loyal team of staff members. I am one of the lucky ones. I truly hope that you will find an answer to your problem.
Don't think you'll get much of a response Leslie as the thread is a few years old. The op hasn't been around since 2013.