Type 2's no medication diet controlled

justmeint

To a large extent we are the fortunate ones
No needles
No pills
Daily (for me) several times - I prick my finger to see how I am doing

When I was diagnosed I made a conscious decision to refuse a prescription off my GP for Metformin.
He never even bothered to discuss diet, exercise or alternatives with me.

I knew that carbohydrates drive sugar spikes and that drives insulin spikes, so to my way of thinking I simply needed to lower the carbs to lower the BGL's which in turn would lower the insulin spikes.

He was not happy with me, but gave me three months to try and see what I could do...... I did it!

I do see a diabetes educator every three months and she is monitoring my bloods etc. So far so good. Its only been 8 months..... next visit and blood draw due soon.

What I would like to know and ask you to talk about is how you manage your T2DM with diet...... what do you eat and abstain from?

I chose Low Carb with Higher saturated and monounsaturated fats. A minimal amount of PUFA's.
I eat NO grains at all
NO Potato's NO Rice No Bread (need I say this? (No sugar) No processed foods.

I DO EAT fresh meat and fish, eggs and other vegetables, minimal fruit, butter, cream and always the fat on my meat. A few nuts and raw vegetables which I dip in nut butter.

Share with me your journey please.

Clare in Tasmania

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
That's the way to go Clare, that's what I try to eat much of the time. I occasionally slip up with odd sandwich made with Burgen.
However my BS are still about the same as when I first got diabetes about 18 mths ago. I haven't lost weight, 5.7 and just under 12st. I'm on Met, when I remember to take it.
Good luck and carry as you are.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Very similar to what I eat, I still miss bread, so I use low carb pita bread which you can buy from the likes of Avidlite and other online health food shops. I tend to use half a pita bread and so far it has not effected my blood sugar readings abouve guidelines and I have lost over 7 kilos in weight since July.

Mark

san4.0

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No needles
No pills

When I was diagnosed I made a conscious decision to refuse a prescription off my GP for Metformin.

I knew that carbohydrates drive sugar spikes and that drives insulin spikes, so to my way of thinking I simply needed to lower the carbs to lower the BGL's which in turn would lower the insulin spikes.

He was not happy with me, but gave me three months to try and see what I could do...... I did it!

I do see a diabetes educator every three months and she is monitoring my bloods etc. So far so good. Its only been 8 months..... next visit and blood draw due soon.

What I would like to know and ask you to talk about is how you manage your T2DM with diet...... what do you eat and abstain from?

I chose Low Carb with Higher saturated and monounsaturated fats. A minimal amount of PUFA's.
I eat NO grains at all

I DO EAT fresh meat and fish, eggs and other vegetables, minimal fruit, butter, cream and always the fat on my meat. A few nuts and raw vegetables which I dip in nut butter.

Clare in Tasmania

Hello Clare,

I am new to this - was diagnosed end of April. Doctor told me I needed to go on Metformin, Statins and Blood pressure medication. Like you, I have refused and been given 3 months to see what I can do. Have lost about 26lbs so far - gone low carb, but with fats such as coconut oil, and real butter. I would love to know how you are doing as you seem to be going well and I fel like I am following in your footsteps. Feels a bit lonely because doctor seemed very dubiuos about my refusal to take all the meds.! San4.0

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
No needles
No pills

I eat NO grains at all

Clare in Tasmania

hi Clair,

i was diagnosed 5 or 6 months ago although the GP didn't come out and say it she said i was to see the diabetic nurse who would decide what to do, i had to wait a month to see her, with out me asking gave me 3 months to see what i could do, advising me about low carb, she has given me another 3 months as things are going the right way, i feel i've been lucky to have some one who is up to date with things, and even not being diabetic herself has tried low carb, so i eat very much like you, i have found now my weight has stayed the same for the last month which is making me panic, i think i need extra help with this, i exercise mostly every day, my knees aren't to good so i jog in the pool and swim.

i badly want to stay of mead though, you've made me feel encouraged thanks
Jill